Thread: Upgrade to disc

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Upgrade to disc

I have an '04 Fuel 80 with rim brakes. I'm interested in upgrading to Juicy 5/7, or XT Hydraulic discs. Can anyone let me know what I'm in for? My rear triangle and front shock are disc ready/compatible, but what about rims? If I'm going to need to add $200 or more on top of the brakes I may just bite the bullet and think of a new bike. The rims now are the original Maverick rims with Shimano rear hub.

Any set up info would be great. It's either this or a new rear shock, but I think stopping is a more important priority.

Thanks

adult onset ADHD

I did mine

I went to discs on my 02 Fuel 80. Worth every penny, as long as you can use your old rims on another bike. Or you could sell them to cover some of the cost..
    Here is what I did.
    Deore/Mavic wheelset at JensonUSA for about $99/pr.
    Old style XT brakes for $80 per wheel.
    Bleed kits $10 per wheel.
    Tool to remove the cassette plus the new hydro lines $25
    I guess I spent around $325 after tax and shipping
    The install went great, I never installed hydro brakes before, I just read the instructions 3x before I started. Works perfectly.
    Respect your local Woodland Spirits

WNY Mountain Biking Assoc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CheapTrek
    I have an '04 Fuel 80 with rim brakes. I'm interested in upgrading to Juicy 5/7, or XT Hydraulic discs. Can anyone let me know what I'm in for? My rear triangle and front shock are disc ready/compatible, but what about rims? If I'm going to need to add $200 or more on top of the brakes I may just bite the bullet and think of a new bike. The rims now are the original Maverick rims with Shimano rear hub.
    Like NE's saying, its the HUBS not the rims that need to be replaced. You need disk specific hubs to have a place to bolt on the brake rotor. Shimano hubs for rim brakes don't allow you to bolt on a rotor and can't be upgraded any kind of way short of replacing the entire hub. i.e. you'll need an entire new set of wheels.

Also if they don't come with the brakes you'll need new brake levers since cable brake levers don't work with hydro brakes. If you have integrated shifter / brake levers on your bike that means you need new shifters also.

That's why my 98 is still V-brake...wheels, brakes, brake levers, shifters, kinda adds up if you want high end parts

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

thanks for the info

next questions:

Sun Rhyno Litees or Mavic 717?

What size rotor 160, 185 or 203?

thanks again

adult onset ADHD
    Try to get the XT hubs,,, whatever rims..
    I have the 160mm rotors and I weigh 190 lbs with gear, unless you are a BIG guy the 160s should be fine.
    Respect your local Woodland Spirits

WNY Mountain Biking Assoc.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    220lbs
    5'-9

maybe 185mm? will they fit both F&R?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Check with the manufacturer on the disk size as well.
    Fisher responded to my inquiries with a caution NOT to go above 185s on my hardtail.

Some rims can be reused with disk hubs and some can't.
    The front rim on my bike isn't going there and it isn't worth the time and trouble for me to rip the rear down and rebuild it with a new hub vs. getting a new full up set of wheels. The old set can be sold or donated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

CheapTrek, most disc brakes are not sold as a.....

front and rear set together. They are sold front seperate from rear. The reason for this is that many people like to use a larger diameter rotor in front since this is where most of the braking takes place.

I'm 230lbs and run a 185mm front and a 160mm rear and it works great. I am pretty sure that Trek does NOT recommend larger than a 160mm on the rear. You'll want to check with the fork manufacturer for their max rotor diameter recommendation.

That being said, properly set up 160mm disc brakes are VERY powerful and will stop or slow you just fine unless you like long screaming downhills. If you ride primarily XC/Trail you'll be fine with the 160's. I started out with a 160 on the front and it was fine. But I like to bomb long downhill fire roads and the like. The 185 disapates heat faster and adds a little more stopping power for stuff like that. But for XC the 160s will work for you, believe me!

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Any set up info would be great. It's either this or a new rear shock, but I think stopping is a more important priority.

Thanks
    Have you considered going disc up front and leaving the rear cantis ??? ...... it would halve your cost , and most of your stopping power is up front anyways. Others have done it.

mtbr member
    Or go the Avid mechanical disk route. You will be able to continue to use your current brakes and the Avid will be cheaper than hydro. You will still need disc hubs unless your wheelset came disc ready.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Good Deal?

is a set of Mavic 717 with XT disc hubs along with a set of Avid Juicy 7's for less than $450 a good deal? Is it worth it on a 2-3 year old entry level FS bike that has been broken twice (repaired via warranty)?

mtbr member
    May 2006

Just go for the Fat Possum

Skip all that and get a Fat Possum.

mtbr member
    is a set of Mavic 717 with XT disc hubs along with a set of Avid Juicy 7's for less than $450 a good deal? Is it worth it on a 2-3 year old entry level FS bike that has been broken twice (repaired via warranty)?
    Is disc brakes worth it? I think so, but at what cost depends on you. I think a lot of it depends on what your plans are. If you feel that you will be keeping the FS for a while, then moving to disc might not be bad. If you plan to upgrade your bike in the near future, then maybe just hold out. I think you are set on hydro disc brakes, but I wouldn't discount Avid mechanical disc brakes. It's cheaper and it works quite well. My recommendation is to get a light wheelset (XT hubs are not that light) -- if you search you should see one for $200 from Bob's cycles -- and get Avid mechanical. That should set you back around $350. Just for reference, I swapped out from XT v-brakes to Avid mechanical on my 03 Titus Racer-X and it was one of the best upgrade I made.