Thread: Tubeless??

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Tubeless??

hey guys,
    I have a EX9 and was wondering what you all think of going tubeless? What will it take and what are the advantages and disadvantages? I hope someone can help me out!!

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I switched to tubeless at the begining of the year and I will never go back!
    Advantages: No pinch flats, no puncture flats (if you use sealent, out here in the western USA we have lots of thorns), better traction (because you can ride lower psi without worrying about pinch flats).

Disadvantage: The only thing I can think of is it is usually a little heavier. But I am a racer and a weight weenie and I don't think it is big enough to matter, the traction advantage and other advantages far out-weigh the weight. They can be harder to get on/off, but I haven't noticed that yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thats good to hear. I live in San Diego and ride all over the southern CA area and I know what you mean about the thorns.

Urban Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by sessions22
    Disadvantage: The only thing I can think of is it is usually a little heavier. But I am a racer and a weight weenie and I don't think it is big enough to matter, the traction advantage and other advantages far out-weigh the weight. They can be harder to get on/off, but I haven't noticed that yet.
    To add to disadvantage: Tires tend to burp air if you are a heavy rider and have a heavy side impact. I have yet to be able to seat a tubeless without an air compressor.

But yea, tubeless is the way to go IMHO. I also believe that the added traction comes from the tire being able to manipulate to the ground better because it doesn't have the friction of a tube to deal with. But also because you can run lower pressures.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thats good to know about the "burp" but I am 160lbs with all my gear so I don't think that would be a problem about my weight. The side impact part I didn't know about and is good to know. Do you guys find that you have to fill your tires less or dose it not make a diff?

Urban Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by mrben0101
    Thats good to know about the "burp" but I am 160lbs with all my gear so I don't think that would be a problem about my weight. The side impact part I didn't know about and is good to know. Do you guys find that you have to fill your tires less or dose it not make a diff?
    Tubeless leak more so you have to fill up (which I do anyway) every ride to the right pressure. But I'm very finicky about tire pressure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    All you will need to go tubeless is the bontrager rim strips and valves, as well as some sealant. That's assuming your Fuel is only a year or two old and the rims are Tubeless Ready. The tires that came with the bike are likely Tubeless ready, which means they need sealant to fully hold air. I've used the Bontrager super juice with good results on a front wheel, but I think Stans seals punctures better. FYI, Tubeless ready stuff is lighter than standard tires with rim strips and full sealant, as well as full on Tubeless tires. See the info on Bontrager's site for more info.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I would not wait a minute more.
    Why did I wait so long
    I was really hesitant to deal with the supposed tubeless issues. Well I finally did a really good test and have a few basic principles. If you have a real good tight tire bead/rim interface and your tires are not one of the ones with the really weak beads or sidewalls (listed somewhere around in the tire section in the forums.)
    First and most important, go to Stan's website and watch his video on proper tubeless prep and read some of the forum threads on tubeless.
    I have not flatted since going tubeless. Quite amazing actually. Here in the Rocky Mountains I used to flat about once a week.
    Have not tried the bonty rim strips but have run stans and they work well but, ghetto tubeless with a thinner 20" tube provided the best custom seal for me and very cheap relative to Stans rim strips.
    Have not tried the sealant home brew as I figured the cost was about as much as buying Stans sealant. I also have to add about 3-6 pounds of pressure every 2-4 days but well worth it.
    I have never had a single burping problem.
    Somewhere around in tires forum I and some other guys wrote a pretty good tutorial on going tubeless with ghetto. I figured why be prejudice against that like I was against the concept of running tubbed tires and rims tubeless ? That is not logical so I went all the way.
    Currently running:
    Spinergy rims/Mutano Raptors ghetto tubeless with ultra thin 20" pv tubes with removable cores.
    650b Stan's ZTR 355's with Pacenti 27.5 Neo Motos with performance luna light 26" pvs with non removable cores.
    Also, same weight category at 165 and run about 25-30 lbs pressure. Also, combining the ghetto spit tube and the sealant gave me pretty much the same weight as my tubed setup but with less rolling resistance and did i say...no flats ?
    Last edited by ghawk; 09-19-2008 at 06:29 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0