mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Trying to consolidate bikes, Remedy the choice?

I own a 2012 EX8 (120mm) and a 2013 Slash 9 (120-160mm). Most every thing I ride requires me to climb for me to enjoy the downhill.

I really like the climbing ability of the EX8, however I'd like a bit more travel when I decend. The Slash does not climb as well and I actually do not like climbing with it much, yet, I love the downhill abilities! Both bikes have a 70 mm stem and 750 bars (which I like).

I'd like to have only one bike and understand that I'd have to sacrafice a bit of climbing and decending to achieve this goal. So, do you think a remedy would fit the bill? I'm just not sold on a Fox 32 150mm as being stiff enough. Any idea or advice would be appreicated.

Also, would I be able to put a 140-150mm fork on the EX8 without voiding the warranty?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Altough Slash 9 is incredible machine, I guess the reason why you don't like climbing with Slash is weight!
    I'd love to see if Trek would make Carbon version of Slash soon...
    2012 Trek Slash 9

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    CaRaBeeN - actually the weight isn't too bad, although it could be lighter. I just feel the cockpit is a tad too short for me. I brought a 19.5 (L) size as it felt very similar to my 19.5 (L) EX8. But the Slash is about 1.75 inches shorter in the cockpit which makes the my position to climb a bit tight. However, decending is awesome.

My LBS said Trek is out of the 2012 Slash XL frames and are not selling the 2013 frames alone for the rest of the year. But regardless, I was thinking about a Remedy.

How are you liking your Slash?

mtbr member
    For the cockpit wise, you're correct. It really falls short. But this brings advantage of control during "air time"
    I also ride 19.5" size while I'm 6'2". I got this bike for it's descending abilities not for climbing. On the other hand I wanted a bike that I could pedal sometimes.
    Therefore I can't comment for climbing as I throw 2-ply 2.7" Minions on front which kills even normal pedalling. But I plan to change front single-ply 2.5" Minion shortly.
    For my height, if remove spacers under the stem, than on the roads or climbs , back-pain occures after 1 hour. So if it's a downhill day, I remove spacers, if it's XC day than I put back those spacers under stem to raise the handlebar.

I was also trying to decide in between Remedy or Slash. To gain more at descents, I sacrificed from climbs..I also try to hit some drops and jumps therefore If I had to do it again, I'd go with Slash again. But if drops and jumps are not the case, just fast aggressive riding than Remedy with 34 Fox upfront is best of best!
    2012 Trek Slash 9

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CaRaBeeN View Post
    But if drops and jumps are not the case, just fast aggressive riding than Remedy with 34 Fox upfront is best of best!

+1

Remedy climbs surprisingly well. I have a 2013 model. I'd replace the 32 150 fork for something beefier though (34 is nice). Mine has a 780 bar with 50 stem and 2x10 drivetrain, not bad in climbing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I love the fit of my Slash - I went TWO sizes bigger than I normally do! I'm on the 19.5" even though I'm 5'9". If you look at the geometry of the Slash, the standover is *identical* for every size. They just lengthen the seattube tower to get the sizing. The top tube attaches in the exact same place on every Slash. I have my Reverb down almost as far as it will go, so if my legs were shorter I wouldn't be able to make the Reverb work. BTW, with the Reverb all the way into the frame, but fully extended, you have TEN INCHES between the saddle and the seat collar. These things are really long.

I ended up with what I consider to be a perfect fit. The Slash is a lot shorter than a lot of the "big" enduro bikes around now - the top tube on a 19.5" Slash is shorter than the top tube on an 18" Yeti SB66 for example. In fact, the top tube on a 19.5" Slash is only .3" longer than a SMALL Yeti.

Bottom line for anyone looking at a Slash - DO NOT blindly assume your "normal" size will feel right unless you plan on using the bike to go downhill exclusively.

As for the Remedy, It is a more normal trailbike sizing, but I'm with you, the Fox 32 killed it for me. In fact, the Fox 34 on the 2013 Slash kills it for me, which is why I bought a leftover 2012. Trek is obviously just trying to get their weight specs down a few ounces by going to the smaller forks. I think they should put a 160mm Lyrik or Fox 34 on the Remedy, and a 170mm Fox 36 on the Slash, or even a Totem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks for the advice guys. When I bought my Slash, I test rode it three different weekends, however only in the parking, for an extended about of time. the size felt fine and the LBS said he felt the XL would be too big. Anyhow....

If I was to purchase a remedy and replace it with a Fox 34 150, would I notice the lack of a DRCV in the fork? I do not think Fox makes a 34 150 with the DRCV. Or is the DRCV not going to make a difference in the fork?

Of course I'd have to sell the Slash before purchasing a new bike, so I have time before I make a decision.

Thanks again all.

mtbr member
    My previous bike was an ex8. Between the 2 I love the slash. I like the way the slash climbs. I'm like you and need to peddle my way to the top. Plus I'm using a hammerschmidt. Unless your racing, who cares if it takes a few more minutes to reach the top. It's the ride down that makes it worth it.

mtbr member
    Just remember the remedy will feel much more like the fuel than the slash, or atleast that was my experience with it.

I was riding a demo so maybe the shocks were pumped up too high, I didn't bother asking.
    But it was quite a bit stiffer thats for darn sure.