mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Troubles with tribles errr tubeless bontrager

Have some racelite bontrager tubeless rims on the GF fuel 7.7 and I set them up last night and they seem to seal well and hold air all night. The issue is if I pinch the side wall and not very hard the tire bead moves and stans gumbo juice squirts out. I had to really pump them up for the bead to set so I don't get why they are doing this. My 29er stans do not do this even with little air pressure. Do these rims suck? Should I put tubes back in cause if she corners hard I know these are going to roll off and deflate first ride which will suck for the both of us, more so for her though.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    What pressure are trying to bead them at? Most setups I've done required about 45-50psi to set the bead. Stans being super plyable seem to pop into the bead alot easier then others I've tried. Make sure they are even all the way around the rim, if they aren't then you need more pressure or some banging on the ground to intice them. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    50 PSI and they POPPED even space all the way around, as far as I was concenred they were good and held air fine, just the side pressure seem to move the bead to easy.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    What tires are you running? I have had luck with some tires on my TLR rims and no luck with others. Kenda's seem to set up well for me. I have also had luck with some Bonty TLR tires, I have had poor luck with bonty team issues tires, and no luck with the one hutchison tubless ready I have tried. Just my .02

mtbr member
    My Bonty Mustangs have been holding air well with more than 6 months and lots of miles on the Stan's goo. I run IRD Fire XC Pro 29s. I used the bonty rim strips and actively burped the side walls all the way around to ensure some goo got onto the bead. Rock solid now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    They are at 45 PSi for the last 2 days and have lost no air,when I put the tires on I seen a tip to us e a toothbrush to apply stans goo around the bead for hitting it with air pressure, seemed to work.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY