• 12-02-2012
    desertred
    TRick to Seating TLR Tires on Rims?
    I'm running a Bonty XR4 (old version) and XR2 on my 2010 EX8 with tubes on the stock Duster rims. I'm having a devil of a time getting the tires to sit evenly on/in the rims. When spinning the wheels equipped with tires, the tires appear to be totally out of round. The wheels spin true without the tires mounted. You can see that areas of the tires are seated deeper on the rim in spots. Is there a certain trick or technique to seating TLR tires on the rims when running tubes? Its pretty unnerving looking at the tires spinning on the rims and appearing to be well out of round.
  • 12-02-2012
    Hobbs305
    How much pressure are your using to seat the bead? Are you hearing the bead "pop" at all?
  • 12-03-2012
    gkova165
    try with foam or baby powder , and then pump the tires till they pop out .
  • 12-03-2012
    LyNx
    Those TLR tyres on the BOnty TLR rims can be a royal PITA, you really have to take them up to max pressure to get the beads to seat properly. If after taking up to max pressure they still won't seat, try using some soapy water on the bead of the tyre and/or rim, if that fails, try just straight liquid soap.
  • 12-03-2012
    202cycle
    ^yes indeed.
  • 12-03-2012
    Britishnate
    Try using a floor pump and slowly pump them up to 60+ psi, they will seat. I have had to take some up as much as 75psi to get them to seat but they will.
  • 12-03-2012
    Antikid
    it is scary, but they can take a lot of pressure to seat.
  • 12-03-2012
    zippinveedub
    I always freak out a little when I seat them. I've never blown a bonty system off though. Many stans, but never a bonty. Makes me feel better about riding them.
  • 12-03-2012
    desertred
    Thanks for the helpful tips, but are these tips helpful for folks that are using tubes as I am? The references to soap the tires and Stans seem to point to tubeless systems. Will these tips be helpful to seat a tire using an inner tube?
  • 12-04-2012
    LyNx
    Yes, applicable whether using tubes or not, just if doing the soapy water thing try to use the suds so as to keep the water content down so it doesn't get into the tyre and wet the tube. Never tried the baby powder, but I guess it's slippery and I do use it on tubes, so should help the bead move a little easier. Could also use some vaseline around the bead, dry and only takes a very little and very slippery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertred View Post
    Thanks for the helpful tips, but are these tips helpful for folks that are using tubes as I am? The references to soap the tires and Stans seem to point to tubeless systems. Will these tips be helpful to seat a tire using an inner tube?

• 12-05-2012
    desertred
    Again, thanks for the help everyone. Pumping them up to max pressure seated the tires right up. I will try the talc powder or suds next time as well to see how these items will help seat the tube.