mtbr member

Treks alluminum frames worth upgrades?

I'm in the position where I have some money flow going on and I want to upgrade. The problem is that I only have a stock 4300 frame to work with. I have about $600-700 i can drop into upgrades on this bike, new fork, crank, bb, brakes, stem, riser bars, new rims possibly...pretty much everything is going to get replaced. My question is, is the 4300 frame sturdy and strong enough to warrant the amount of junk im ready to pull the trigger on? or will the money better be spent elsewhere, like saving up for a full suspension? Thank you
    I live in Maine and I hate lobster.

Singletrack Snob

time to save!

Quote Originally Posted by Ironchefjon
    I'm in the position where I have some money flow going on and I want to upgrade. The problem is that I only have a stock 4300 frame to work with. I have about $600-700 i can drop into upgrades on this bike, new fork, crank, bb, brakes, stem, riser bars, new rims possibly...pretty much everything is going to get replaced. My question is, is the 4300 frame sturdy and strong enough to warrant the amount of junk im ready to pull the trigger on? or will the money better be spent elsewhere, like saving up for a full suspension? Thank you
    I wouldn't throw that much $$ at a Trek 4300, that's more than it cost originally, right?

Be patient, save up some more $$ and then get what you really want. Sell the Trek or use it as a commuter/winter/bad weather bike. Don't let the upgrade bug bite in this case, because you'll eventually want a new frame and you'll be spending more than if you just bought a new bike in the first place.
    "I've got a card in my spokes, I'm practicing my jokes. I'm learning!"

All 26.5" all the time!
    Depends on what your ultimate goal is. Many people upgrade their existing ride extensively, then later buy a nice custom frame and end up with their dream ride. It might end up a little more expensive, but every part will be exactly what you want, not some house brand crap that you get on a new complete bike.

NMBP/OMBA crew!
    with the 700, you could purchase the smoking trek 6000. thats gonna be my next hardtail.
    http://ocalabicyclecenter.com/

Rubber side down is good for me

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I agree with the new bike purchase over the upgrades. For what you could get new you probably couldn't get as much of in upgrades. Good individual components cost quite a bit compared to what they cost with a new bike purchase. Talk to your area bike shops and ask them what they have in last years models. You may be suprised how much bike you can get for the money when you by last years model.

mtbr member

I've always liked upgrading...

I started out with a Trek 6500 about 7 years ago. I started upgrading as I found good things for good prices--new fork, new wheels, new cranks, new brakes etc etc etc. Eventually, I bought a sweet FS frame and had all nice parts to build it with, retiring the 6500 frame. The 4300 isn't a great frame, but it'll last. If you think you'll continue to invest in parts and eventually a new frame, go ahead and spend your $700 on some upgrades. One good option, is to get a bike from a discount online retailer (e.g., bikesdirect.com), use the parts and sell the frame. I've thought about doing that more than once.

Cheezy Rider
    If you really want a full suspension ride, save your money, you're halfway there. The 4300's OK and will keep you on the trails til you can buy the rig you want.

MTBR Demi-God
    I have a Trek 4900, for which I originally paid $600. Since then, I have had over $1200 in upgrades for that bike (new brakes, drivetrain components, fork, wheelset)- its my only hardtail, and I do intend to keep it. Yeah, im stupid, but this bike is going to stick around with me! (mostly because this was my first real mountain bike).

The bike rides just as good as any sub $3000 bike
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."