mtbr member

Trek's 29er Sports on closeout?

With the discontinuation of the Mamba, Marlin, and Wahoo models, should we be seeing any substantial discounts to get rid of remaining inventory in order to get ready for the new 2014 X-Cal replacement models?

I am in the market for a new bike (and was going to choose another brand), but if the price is right, I may very well reconsider my second place bike, the Trek Marlin.

Thanks!

-Lou

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Lol. Ditto what you said, have my heart set on another bike but will buy a Mamba if the discount is deep enough.

I visited 2 dealers today and got the same story from both on the Mamba. Sold out in every size except 21 and 22 without much left in those sizes. One store had a 21 in stock (my size) with a pricetag of 919 on it, which is around 100 off msrp.

Both dealers gave me the same story, not enough left in stock for Trek to clearance them.

Personally I am also looking at a Kona. I am going to take the risk of someone else buying the 21in Mamba that is in stock and wait for the new Kona to show up in the LBS which is probably less than 4 weeks away. Then the cheapest bike wins.

mtbr member
    My LBS has the black 15.5" Marlin in stock, but I have not asked about discounts yet since I am still a couple weeks away from my purchase. My first choice is a Felt Nine 80 which is already less then the list Marlin price. The Felt has better components so that is why it ended up as my first choice.

Ride for ride, they were identical, IMO.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    For the record, was offered a Mamba at 829 today, about 20% off. Was also offered a Kona Kahuna at the same discount %.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update.

I ended up getting the Marlin today for $569 (which I think was the summer Tour de France sale price)... Not 20% off (that would have been sweet). They would not give me the same discounted price on the Felt ($600 was the lowest they would go). :-(

Since every penny counts. I went with the Trek.

I know that I will love it. As a matter of fact, I am getting ready to go ride with my son's in a few minutes.