mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Trek Y5 Disk Brake conversion?

has anyone done this? I really love my Y since ive had it forever and since im sick of the V-brakes i was wondering if anyone has tried converting their Y's to disk brake...i found this site http://www.discbrakeadapters.com/fs_....php?item_id=4 but i was also looking for other options. anyone who has any suggestions please let me know. also what are the good brands of disk brakes. im also looking for a front fork. should i invest all this money or just get a new bike?
    Thanks
    Andy

EDIT: does anyone know if this model frame still is edgiable(sp?) for treks warranty? i was just wondering because if the frame is then maybe i should "break" or crack my frame to get a new bike haha...but really is it under that replacment warranty? if not i think ill get a new bike instead of putting all the new gear on...
    Last edited by Andino; 06-07-2006 at 11:03 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    That particular disc brake mount looks pretty shady. I wouldn't go for it. If you happen to brake your swing arm, it would be replaced with another swing that would only have the OBSOLETE 22mm disk brake mount. While there are adapters to adapt this mount to IS, it rarely works on most frames because there isn't ample clearance for the caliper in the tight rear triangle.

In reality your money would be best spent on a bike that is already spec'ed with disc brakes rather than purchase a set of disc wheels, disc brakes and a possibly shady adapter.