Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Trek Y Lifetime Warranty

HI, I live in Brazil and I have a Trek Y Glide 1998.

I am extremely pleased to ride it on trails all this years. It fits perfectly and I felt no need to replace it with a modern bike, because the fun is the same since the first time I ride in the tracks.

Unfortunately, less than two months ago, some cracks appears in the Y junction, exactly on the spot weld, ie the frame is breaking.

I've had three Trek bikes, I fully trust in the brand and always divulged the qualities of their products. I was saddened by the event, because I did not want to get rid of my bike, my intention was to keep it as a collector's item, either by design, or by the memories of all the times together.

But I was confident about being guarded by lifetime frame guarantee. I contacted the Trek, the local dealer,importer and I was surprised the importer offer me to replace a TREK Y 26frame!!

Question: Is it right to substitute aTrek Y Glide for a Trek Y-26?
    Last edited by Bernt KÝminy; 03-16-2013 at 02:06 PM.

bg.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernt KÝminy View Post
    Question: Is it right to substitute aTrek Y Glide for a Trek Y-26?
    IMO you take what you can get when you ask for warranty on a 15 year old suspension bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Smile

IMO you don't know what lifetime warranty means.
    No matter if the bike have 15, 30 or 60 years, the security does not weaken over the years.
    If Trek guarantees its products for life (first owner), including a full supension, it must be replaced for the same product or an equivalent.
    "Look, it's been 30 years, so I'll swap your 1990 top mountain bike for this Kids Trike, ok?"
    Y26 has not replaced Y Glide. Actually, Trek took the name Y in a entry level product, with different purpose. Look in catalogs and see the real Y were replaced by Fuel. Moreover, I think this importer decision, not TREK USA. And the URT of the bikes are different, it may even fit at the other, but the pivot point is different.
    I do not want to take any advantage, quite the contrary, my intention was never get rid of this bike, have it as memorabilia. Could accept the repair of the frame or any other reasonable solution least have a Frankstein, because neither of URT Y26 I could buy.
    But I think you also don't know Y Glide nor Y26, but thanks for your opinion anyway.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    If you are not satisfied with the Y26 replacement, ask them to give you a warranty replacement credit instead. Then you can get whatever frame you want, and maybe even keep your Y Glide frame to keep as a collector's item.

Quiet Professional
    The y glide and y26 are not in the same catagory. The y glide was a 5.5" travel where the y 26 is 80mm. you are looking at a 2k bike y glide to a 400.00 bike y26, It is like taking a older pro mongoose and replacing it with a walmart mongoose. I would not go for that deal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tswp View Post
    If you are not satisfied with the Y26 replacement, ask them to give you a warranty replacement credit instead. Then you can get whatever frame you want, and maybe even keep your Y Glide frame to keep as a collector's item.
    TSWP, that would be a very reasonable solution, especially if I could have my bike, even if I had to make it useless for ride. I'll check it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by chef7734 View Post
    The y glide and y26 are not in the same catagory. The y glide was a 5.5" travel where the y 26 is 80mm. you are looking at a 2k bike y glide to a 400.00 bike y26, It is like taking a older pro mongoose and replacing it with a walmart mongoose. I would not go for that deal.
    Chef, this is the point. Trek Y26 is a supermarket bike. The only thing in common between the two bikes is the Y in the name.

The Trek Y Glide may be old, outdated, but still a trail bike that satisfies me 100%.

It's as if I had a porche and received the carcass of a VW beetle (the old, not the new!).

What made ​​me most angry is that the importer told me he would send a Y frame. Best solution impossible, I thought, but I did not believe that there would still be a Y frame and ask:

-wich model?
    -Y26.
    -Y26?? Comes with the URT?
    -No
    -But the URTs is the same?
    -I confirmed with the TREK USA and they confirmed same URT...

For photos you can see that the URT is different, especially the pivot point. It can even fit, but what am I gonna do with a bike like this?

And I argued that, regardless, the Glide is one thing, Y26 is another, etc., etc, and that this proposal was totally unreasonable...

All this happened on Friday and I am awaiting response from both the importer and Trek USA. Unfortunately I live in a third world country, so things here are a bit more complicated. Respect for the consumer is not the same. I'm trying to argue direct on Trek USa but I always get the same response: Contact the local dealer...

Tomorrow I try again ... Thanks Guys.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The Y-26 looks like a cramped super v.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Just call trek warranty directly. When I have had any issues with warranty I have call trek and they have always hooked me up, and fast. I no longer but up with lbs BS when it comes to warranties. I will give them a couple of weeks, and if it isn't taken care of. I always get trek involved. I have had to do this a few time and they have always come through.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hi, I'm waiting an answer from Trek Brazil, I post it here asap.

[]

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have the line to trek warranty in Waterloo if you need it. They have always treated me right .

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I would be grateful if you could send me the contact.
    I tried to contact Trek USA through the site (warranty), but the answer was always the same:
    "Thank you for writing in. You would take the bike and the proof of purchase to the Trek dealer and have Them submit the warranty claim."
    "You are going to have to contact the dealer TREK your dealing with, we here in the U.S. do not do warranties for the other country's. So They are dealing with the importer TREK there and the shop Should be in contact with Them."
    "Thats why we have offices over there to take care of there own warranty and costumer service issues, They would replace the frame with the most comparable replacement to your damaged bike, Y frame or frame URT is what would be the closest
    match. "
    "If that is what They are offering you for the warranty replacement? Then yes if thats what They have from That year of bike. You have to work with the TREK office there and with the shop doing the warranty.
    Sincerely,
    Jake Higdon "

I even tried through the site - technical questions - get answers to:
    01 - Is Y26 frame equivalent to Y Glide?
    02 - Is Y 26 URT the same as Y Glide URT? Is it compatible? Is the pivot in same position?
    03 - Do Trek endorse the use of Y Glide URT under the Y26?
    04 - Which bike replace Y Glide?

But I got no response even.

[]

I hate that name.
    The Y26 is the only frame you'll be able to use without replacing every major component on the bike. Like say if they gave you the current full suspension 26" wheel frame, a Fuel EX- You'll need to buy: fork, wheels, brakes, cranks, front derailleur, seatpost- just to be able to use it. MTB industry standards have changed a lot in 15 years.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hi Blunder, not only the Y26 but could be another real Y.

I know there must be no other Y frames, I was really surprised that there was Y26. Maybe a stranding.

If there were another Y Glide or higher as OCLV, I'd be totally satisfied.

If Trek offered an current equivalent to my frame (which I believe is Fuel), I'd buy all the parts, no problem, and I would be totally satisfied too.

What I find unacceptable is receiving a frame that has no comparison with mine. Between my broken Y Glide bike or a brand new Y26, I prefer to stick with mine. Just to put it on a wall as a collector item. But a Y26...Nor for that!

[]

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have 2 numbers you could try. Trek Warranty 1-920-478-2191 Trek (Kieth, the guy who help me with my last warranty claim) 1-800-313-8735. I don't know about the international issue , but trek has been awesome for me . The local trek authorized dealers, however need a fire lit under them from time to time . Hope one of these numbers helps.

J79
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Totally agree with you, the Y was an high end OCLV mountainbike. The Y26 is an entry level aluminium bike, they only share the URT concept.

It will be difficult for them to warranty a 15 year old bike, their top end OCLV mountainbike would be a Fuel EX, a Superfly, a Remedy or Session. But none of them is the direct successor of the Y.
    If it was me I would try and get a discount on a new bike, because the Y26 is no comparison.

Still got my old Y frame on the wall, it really ties the room together

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Except that his original bike was not OCLV. He is having an aluminum y frame replaced with an aluminum y frame. I can't imagine the value is greater than two hundred dollars for that old frame. They offered me four hundred six years ago for a real oclv y frame. IF the parts actually swap from bike to bike then it is a comparable replacement....coming from a former '96 y33 owner and bike shop trek employee. No offence but the y glide was basically the cheapest full suspension bike frame and they are replacing with the same.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by paparube View Post
    I have 2 numbers you could try.
    Hi Paparube, thank you very much. But I cant speak or listen english... Just write (bad) and read!

Quote Originally Posted by J79 View Post
    Totally agree with you, the Y was an high end OCLV mountainbike. The Y26 is an entry level aluminium bike, they only share the URT concept.
    Hi J79,
    Actually Glide Y is aluminum, but still much superior than Y26. If Trek offered a Y26 on a Y OCLV I would have a heart attack!

Quote Originally Posted by baltistyle View Post
    No offence but the y glide was basically the cheapest full suspension bike frame and they are replacing with the same.
    If you look in the catalog of 1998, on full aluminum suspensions bikes, the Glide is superior than Y3 and Y5. Above Glide, only Y Glide Deluxe and Pro Issue DH. Glide appears on the third page of the catalog, on the following description: "the Y Glide ruggedest the terrain opens to riders of wide-ranging sill levels".

The Y26 appeared in 2002 Catalog, as the last xc bike, classified as recreational.

The Y Glide cost US$ 1,200.00 in 1998. The Y26 cost US$ 400.00 in 2002.

So, when you mentioned that it's basically the cheapest full suspension, based on what?

No offence, but if you think both frames are the same, maybe its why you accepted US$400,00 in OCLV frame lifetime warranty ...

Trek, Fisher, Klein, Lemond bike catalogs, bicycle brochures

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I accepted four hundred dollars value instead of a new eleven year old oclv y 33 frame, which was offered. Having been one of the first in the country to ride a y33 (fourth made) in the mid nineties, I didnt want to continue riding one in late 2006. I used the credit towards the OCLV fuel ex. I have owned 5 OCLV full suss mtn bikes and currently own a 2013 superfly 100 elite sl so I am pretty sure I know what I am talking about. I was also a former bike shop employee that sold TREK. I have also personally used their warranty three times, each time getting the comparable value or bike frame.

You stated you have an aluminum frame and they are offering to replace with an aluminum frame. You only have a claims issue if the parts do not swap. Past retail Cost has nothing to do with it. My computer would have been 80 million dollars back in 1966 money but I have a better one today for a little over one thousand dollars.

An example of various priced bikes having the same frame is the range of aluminum superfly 100 bikes starting at 2259 and ending at 3889. same frame, different parts. the MAIN frame of the new superfly 100sl's are on bikes ranging 4000 dollars difference. Do you thing this same technology will be more or less expensive in the future? You can buy china carbon frames for 500 bucks when it used to cost thousands for the same technology in the mid nineties.

In 1998, the aluminum y bike frames were the frames of TREKS cheapest full suspension bikes. In 2002 the aluminum y bikes were basically the cheapest full suspension bikes that trek offered. An aluminum y frame is an aluminum y frame is an aluminum y frame. You stated you paid 1200 dollars for your bike, well the y 33 was 3400 dollars in ninety six but shared the same frame as Carbon y bikes that were under Two Thousand dollars. Get it, same frame, different cost. You are getting offered an aluminum frame to replace an aluminum frame, both urt y designs regardless of retail price.

I am trying to let you see the reason, not offend you. Trek still is the best out there in terms of warranty.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    If you or Trek think correct send a different frame, to use with my URT, which will result in a addapted bike, wich changed geometry (different pivot point), fine.

I'd rather stay with my broken bike.

I do not think Y26 is comparable with Glide. If you think the Y26 is the same level as the Glide, patience. Some people think they are not:

"Trek have kept the "Y" name going since then with the much cheaper bikes, the Y26 and Y24. These are not in the same league as their predecessors and bear little resemblance to the original bikes in quality and appearance, and are known as "entry level" bikes. Although they continued with URT rear suspension, the URT's are not the same." - Trek Y Series Mountain Bike

When I think about lifetime warranty, I imagine that no matter how many years have passed, you are guaranteed by a frame on the same level as your.

Or do you think because 16 years have passed, a Y Glide 1998 deserves at most a Y26 2002 frame?

Unfortunately I don`t have that amount of Treks, but I had three, I had never used the warranty, but thought it was real.

I did not invent or asked lifetime warranty frame when I bought my bike.

[]

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bg. View Post
    IMO you take what you can get when you ask for warranty on a 15 year old suspension bike.
    No trek should give him a frame of equal or greater value. I had a 96 9800 and they gave me the current model of that same frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernt KÝminy View Post
    If you or Trek think correct send a different frame, to use with my URT, which will result in a addapted bike, wich changed geometry (different pivot point), fine.

I'd rather stay with my broken bike.
    []

Really you would rather ride a broken bike than have a new frame with other stickers? One of my warranties consisted of a rear seat stay that said fuel ex6....for my 9.9ex oclv frame...same part on both frames.

No, this is when there is an issue. If different and does not work, it is not ok.

Do I think it is acceptable to replace an aluminum y frame with an aluminum y frame? yes. It is a new frame, otherwise referred to as new old stock.

Do I think you deserve oclv, no.

Do you deserve a credit if you choose a new bike? Yes

What do you think the main frame cost on that y glide bike when new? 400 bucks? It was probably two hundred dollars value. It was 1200 retail full bike. A full oclv frame with rear triangle and shock back then was just over a grand. You just are warrantying a front triangle, worth virtually nothing from the start.

si usted no entiende por ahora, no hay esperanza

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by baltistyle View Post
    si usted no entiende por ahora, no hay esperanza
    Please go back to school and try again, we don`t speak Spanish in Brazil!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Warranty is a tricky issue, no questions asked.

If you bought a top of the line bike in the early 90's it would have had an aluminium frame 21sp, V-brakes if you were lucky, and 80mm elastomer or basic air forks.

So, come 2013 is trek then obliged to replace this with an XX equipped carbon Top fuel/Superfly, or is it obliged to replace the quality of frame and parts that a aluminium framed 21sp bike is nowadays (which is probably pretty similar to the build quality of the early 90s anyhow). Either way would be abiding by the letter of 'warranty' depending on how you read it.

The basic level bike are amazingly better than the early 90's....Thats when I started working in the bike industry and I remember that time well.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hi Alex,

I totally agree with you. Bikes developed too much, especially the parts, such hydraulic brakes, suspensions, I think. The frames also, in design, curved tubes, etc... I don't know about durability.

I keep listening music on a 1980 stereo receiver. Even got an multichannel receiver, but I still with the old equipment because I like it.

Same thing with my bike. I did not keep riding it until today to see if it broke and claim for a top carbon bike 2013. I kept it because I like it. Unfortunately this happened.

In my opinion, when you have to get a lifetime warranty cover should think about:

1998 - Trek Y Glide - aluminum full suspension bike; not the top, not the entry level - in the middle of the aluminum full suspensions bikes, considering a DH Bike also;

2013 - What bike is on the same level?

I'm sure the Y26, in 2002, was nowhere near this level. It's not a bike for real trail.

So I didn't think fair, in 2013, Trek offer to me a 2002 Y26 frame, that I would have problems with the URT. I don't know if it's lifetime warranty.

But I think the best thing I do is hang my bike on the garage wall, stop believing in fantasies and buy another bike.

Thanks for your comment.

[]

mtbr member

Re: Trek Y Lifetime Warranty

If I were you I would take the credit and get a new ex. It's an amazing bike that is light years ahead of the Y technology. You'd love it! You had an awesome run with your Y bike. It's time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast