mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Trek X-Caliber vs Trek Stache 7

I'm debating on which bike to purchase in the next couple of weeks. I can get either for almost the same price. I cant make a decision. The X-Cal has a better fork. On the other hand from what I've seen, the Stache has a better frame. I'll ride mostly light XC, use it to pull my child's trailer, take on family trips to ease around on. I'm around 220 lbs right now too. I'm thinking the Stache is overkill for what I'll do. But orange is awesome and matches my Madone! Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by joshm8979; 03-04-2013 at 07:02 PM.
    2005 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 100
    2000 Trek 4500

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Trek X-Caliber vs Trek Stache 7

Trek X-Caliber vs Trek Stache 7-imageuploadedbytapatalk1362449875.806874.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Have you ridden the Stache? I have just started the search for a mountain bike after 20 years away from the sport, but went this weekend to test ride a Salsa El Mariachi as I love my steel Independent Fabrication road bike. I road the El Mar and was quite smitten, but the store owner had me ride a Stache 8 "just for comparison" and I was blow away by the difference. I definitely liked the speed of the Stache 8 over the steel. I am going to a Trek demo day in a couple of weeks and will give the Stache a real ride. I have not ridden the X-cal, but I would strongly recommend you ride the Stache before making your decision.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I purchased a 2012 X-Cal last year and love it. I specifically chose the x-cal for the fork, and because it has a decent component selection for the price.

I weighed 250lbs (205 now) at the time of purchase and the bike has held up wonderfully.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

X-Cal vs. Stache

I don't think you'll go wrong either way, but if it were up to me, I'd choose the Stache 7. Even though it sounds like your bike will see limited single track use, the Stache 7's features can still be appreciated by the average rider.

Though the Reba fork on the X-Cal is slightly better than the Recon on the Stache, the Recon has a tapered steer tube and a 15mm thru axle, which means it will be stiffer and more durable (and will provide more choice if you decide to upgrade later on). Also, the Stache has a 12mm rear axle, which again aids stiffness and durability.

Other components on the Stache are superior. The SLX rear mech is the new clutch type Shadow Plus, which is about 100x better than the SRAM X7 on the X-Cal (I had X7 stuff on a Fuel and was not impressed). Also, the wheels, shifters, front mech, and crank are all slightly better than those found on the X-Cal.

Plus-the orange looks killer!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Stache 7 FTW!
    We've got some built up in our shop and that burnt orange frame has mad style. Superfuel is right on about the drivetrain/component spec compared to the X-Cal (especially the shadow+ rear mech) In my book the only reason the X-Cal is viable option is if you race. Otherwise getting the Stache 7 should be a no-brainer.I've got an eight and if it weren't for the upgraded components, I'd go for that burnt orange frame for sure. The only sin in getting it will be that it won't be shredded enough on the dirt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Pulled the trigger today. Finally decided on a Stache 7. Picking it up next Saturday. Ordered the wife a new bike too so decided to let it sit at the shop til then. Gonna be a long week but weathers not gonna cooperate with cycling anyway. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and info.
    2005 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 100
    2000 Trek 4500

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Dude, you've made a great choice! The bike is winner...go ahead and do the tubeless setup on those duster rims. The lower psi on the rear tire helps make up for it being a hardtail. Also, you might look at shortening the stem. I dropped the 100mm stem in favor of a 50mm and found it to be perfect. Hope you get to shred some dirt soon!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hi All, I'm also looking into those two bikes. Any feedback on the 38/24 rings combo?
    How does it perform if you are not of the strong type rider. Is a 36/24 combo a better option?
    Thanks

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by JohTro View Post
    Hi All, I'm also looking into those two bikes. Any feedback on the 38/24 rings combo?
    How does it perform if you are not of the strong type rider. Is a 36/24 combo a better option?
    Thanks
    I would only go 36t if I was at 22t on the other chainring. If you can pull 24t as a granny gear, I'd stay with the larger 38t. I have ridden both combos, and that 2t jump from 36t to 38t makes me not regret that I didn't have a third (larger chainring). We have a stretch of about 1/2 mile at the end of the trail I ride several times a week that is slightly downhill and we regularly have a sprint race at the end of our ride. I can hang on (and win) just a little better with the 38t. If my ride buddies knew how gassed I can get right toward the end with the 36t, they might not drop off the back as early as they do :~).

The truth is that the 36t is about equivalent to losing one rear cog compared to having a 44t (third chainring). Most of the time I won't miss it, but if we go for the end-of-ride sprint I feel just that little bit better having the 38t. That said, if you aren't a strong enough rider and climb hills, I'd be more concerned about having a 24t rather than a 22t inner chainring. If you're not racing (even if it's just a sword fight with your riding buddies), you could easily live with the 36t or 38t as either one will work.