mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Trek x cal upgrade

Bought a 2012 Trek x-cal I would like to upgrade the stock fork from a rockshox reba rl to a rockshox sid rlt has anyone had any experience with this? Does this void my warranty?? I would appreciate any help

singletrak junkie
    I would ask the local bike store, i think they would work with you on that, if their not supposed to, they might , just to keep the customer Happy, and the chance of any going wrong as a result of the different fork would be slim to none ,our shop works with us, hell, we spend enuff money there .Let me know if you want to sell the fork...thank you, Steve
    "do it in the dirt "

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The Reba is a very capable fork. A wheel upgrade IMO would be a better investment.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Ridiculous to even think upgrading forks would void the warranty. Go for it.
    Though people will love to debate with you whether you should be replacing the fork vs wheels, brakes, carbon parts, titanium bolts, ultralight tires, ultra knob** tires, extra water bottle cages, etc...............
    you should buy what you want to buy. You will certainly appreciate a more plush fork.

My advice; Since your shop's already going to be doing a little labor to put on the crown race, my suggestion is to spend an extra $40 bucks on a Cane Creek 40 headset and have them reface the head tube which is probably all kinds of wonky from the factory.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I would suggest getting a 15mm t/a Fox F29 RLC fork. I had a Rig and upgraded the stock fork and was suprised at how much it changed the bike. Perhaps the most shocking change was acceleration,the bike took off more easily, of course this change could in part be due to the wheel upgrade as well (Stans rims are far superior to their Bontrager equivalents). In terms of steering the bike became far more stable and precise,especially at higher speeds. Go for it upgrade your fork!