mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Upset Trek X-cal Crash Replacement Question

So I am in an interesting situation... I had a friend in town recently and he borrowed another one of my friends 2012 X-cal (maybe 3 rides on it) to borrow on a ride in Breckenridge back in July. We were have a great ride till he had a slow speed and ended up falling on top of the bike. Unfortunately, he ended up pinning the bike on the rear stay bending it in. We took the bike back to LBS (Big trek dealer) where we had purchased it. They recommend that we proceed with a replacement frame. After 4 weeks I just recently picked the bike up. They had used a 2013 frame which was red/white and left the fork which was blue. I had asked them several times in the early negotiations to look into getting a sticker pack from trek so it would not look so obvious they we replaced the frame...

As I expected unfortunately...They handed it back color mismatched with no advice or help... Just live with it. I was fairly disappointed with them to say the least (they didn't even clean or lube the chain after rebuilding the frame- I just maybe expected them to go above and beyond..).

I found a seller on ebay that sells fairly cheap reproduction stickers for rock shox forks, but I assume the colors will not match exactly... I understand that this is a superficial request, but I feel fairly bad about my friends bike being wrecked and replaced for several weeks... Just trying to make it right.

My question after my long winded story... Has anyone had any luck with getting replacement stickers for rock shock forks from other Trek Dealers or am I stuck rolling the dice with an ebay seller? I can't imagine Trek custom matching forks to frames with no extra sticker packs.

mtbr member
    Did you try contacting rock shox themselves and explaining the situation? I would think that they would be willing to help, I would hope they could at least offer a neutral sticker set that won't be so obviously mismatched. Trek may also be able to help as well, at least maybe get you pointed in a direction to find some help. Good luck!
    10 Gary Fisher Cobia - 13 Trek Madone 5.2 - 14 Trek Fuel Ex8

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Tried calling Sram and they told me they would only deal with the LBS and not me directly on this issue... I may try calling the LBS and ask them again...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverPoke View Post
    So I am in an interesting situation... I had a friend in town recently and he borrowed another one of my friends 2012 X-cal (maybe 3 rides on it) to borrow on a ride in Breckenridge back in July. We were have a great ride till he had a slow speed and ended up falling on top of the bike. Unfortunately, he ended up pinning the bike on the rear stay bending it in. We took the bike back to LBS (Big trek dealer) where we had purchased it. They recommend that we proceed with a replacement frame. After 4 weeks I just recently picked the bike up. They had used a 2013 frame which was red/white and left the fork which was blue. I had asked them several times in the early negotiations to look into getting a sticker pack from trek so it would not look so obvious they we replaced the frame...

As I expected unfortunately...They handed it back color mismatched with no advice or help... Just live with it. I was fairly disappointed with them to say the least (they didn't even clean or lube the chain after rebuilding the frame- I just maybe expected them to go above and beyond..).

I found a seller on ebay that sells fairly cheap reproduction stickers for rock shox forks, but I assume the colors will not match exactly... I understand that this is a superficial request, but I feel fairly bad about my friends bike being wrecked and replaced for several weeks... Just trying to make it right.

My question after my long winded story... Has anyone had any luck with getting replacement stickers for rock shock forks from other Trek Dealers or am I stuck rolling the dice with an ebay seller? I can't imagine Trek custom matching forks to frames with no extra sticker packs.
    Trek likely receives the forks from Rock Shox, Fox or Sun Tour with the stickers already applied (by the fork manufacture). I would imagine the fork manufacture makes enough stickers for the production run and maybe a few extra for any mistake made at their factory. Its highly unlikely Trek ever touches any of the decal packs for forks with the exception of the stickers for forks on project one bikes.