mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Trek VRX 200-Still decent?

Hey, I'm looking to get into MB now (rode a friend's beater, got hooked), and I know a guy who's selling a 2000 Trek VRX 200 that's actually never been used, just been sitting in a garage for the last 8-9 years. Here are the specs: http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/B...+200&Type=bike

Retail was 1200, he's asking 375. The bike is unused, but is it still worth it with components and a frame that old? It's a full-susser, and I'm not sure how good the technology was back then.

Anyways, I really could use some advice, so, honest opinions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Don't waste your money. A lot has changed in 9 years.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yeah? I was looking at as a starter bike, to get used to riding on until I get more experienced/can buy something nicer, but I can always just save that money to put towards something nice sooner.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I would save your pennies...That bike was a piece when it was new and nine years later not only is it still apiece, it's seriously outdated. Save up and buy a nice mid range hardtail. It will allow you to get into mountain biking and will hold up and perform well for you, unlike the vrx!!

ARCHQUEST
    I know biking is like computers, 9 years is like oblivion but I can tell you the biggest advancement in bike tech in last 8 years is in the suspension area like shock/fork with platform damping along with disc brakes. The geometry of a bike for good handling has all been figure out back in the 90's so you're not gaining much with newer frames unless you go with the latest greatest DW link or similar designs but if you're new to biking, your not going to appreciate/need those things until you really get into the sport.

$375 for a first timer full suspension bike is not bad as VRX was Trek's top of the line bike back then. If you don't like mountain biking after you tried it, you could sell it for about the same price you pay for. If you can bargain it down to $300 or lower then you got nothing to lose IMO.

Newer fork and rear shock will do wonders on a older suspension frame but I'm not suggesting you to upgrade that bike but just to let you know were to upgrade on older frames if you decide to. I don't think a newer hardtails will do you any good as eventually when you do get a serious bike it surely will be a dual suspension bike so you might as well start on one and not go through the transition/learning curve from hardtail to full suspension.

Members who have read this thread: 1