mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Trek Tubeless Setup

Trek Tubeless Setup-wheel_strip.jpgI have a Trek 8500 that I bought a couple years ago and was set up using tubes in the tires. But after riding through a bunch of blown down branches and getting two flats (multiple thorns in each tire), I've decided to go tubeless.

The rims are RL and are marked as TLS, so I thought I would need a rim strip, valves, TLR tires, and a sealant.

So I was going to order Trek ATB valves, symmetric rim strips, 2013 XR2 Team issue tires, and Stans No Tubes sealant.

But when I opened up the tires I saw the rims already had rim strips installed. - Pics

The strips are not really straight in the rims and run from all the way up on one edge of the rim to all the way over on the other side a few inches around the rim. But it does look like they were heat shrinked into the rims and are in there pretty snug.

So do I still need the Trek rim strips? Or are the installed strips OK to run with?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yes, you need the Bontrager TLR rimstrips. They're black in color, $10 each, and quite different from those thin Schwalbe rim strips. I just went through this recently.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the response -

Did you remove the Schwalbe rim strips? Or did you just put the Bontrager rim strips on top of the blue already in the rims?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trek85 View Post
    Thanks for the response -

Did you remove the Schwalbe rim strips? Or did you just put the Bontrager rim strips on top of the blue already in the rims?
    I removed the Schwalbe rim strips first, then installed the Bontrager TLR rim strips. It's easy to do. I think you'll like tubeless.