mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99mikegt View Post
    First Look: Trek Thru Shaft Suspension | BIKE Magazine

I don't get how this is going to be beneficial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's all in the design.
    "Go soothingly in the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"

mtbr member
    Perhaps a little less friction than with the IFP seals, though a bladder would have none. Other than that, the benefits seem mainly handwaving marketing BS. Perhaps there are other aspects of the design not necessarily related to the through shaft that are beneficial.

The main reason shocks are pressurized is to reduce the possibility of cavitation (as distinct from aeration). I'm not sure how this is addressed in this design.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Since it doesn't have a nitrogen charge anymore, it might be user serviceable?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StaxB21 View Post
    Since it doesn't have a nitrogen charge anymore, it might be user serviceable?
    Trek confirmed in the Vital piece that it's fully user serviceable.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Sweet, now i want one :P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post

The main reason shocks are pressurized is to reduce the possibility of cavitation (as distinct from aeration).

Significantly harder to have cavitation when you have a closed system completely filled with a viscous fluid.

By eliminating the need for a pressurized chamber, you have a constant damping fluid.
    Since there is never more or less shaft in the oil, the volume never changes, therefore you have no need for a nitrogen chamber, which will change in pressure based on temperature. You can concentrate on the damper only.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Plus it looks cool when the shaft pokes in and out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I wonder if this design would require less air pressure than the previous shock for a given rider weight since it doesn't build pressure on compression?. I am really close to the max pressure on my slash, maybe this design will provide a better solution?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    Significantly harder to have cavitation when you have a closed system completely filled with a viscous fluid.....
    Certainly no aeration. I think there could still be cavitation with the elasticity in the system. How much and how consequential IDK. There are other ways to mitigate cavitation. The devil is in the details.

I don't think the pressure in the damping fluid affects damping because it's effectively incompressible. I think the purported benefits are largely specious, except perhaps that it's cheaper to manufacture.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I'll wait until the "boost" version comes out next year lol.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Sad that it is on the 9.8 Remedy and the 9.8 Slash but not on the 9.8 Fuel...

Which is odd as the Fuel seems like the perfect bike for such an improvement. I wonder, if they become available as OEM later in the year if a 9.8 can be upgraded to have it.

mtbr member
    I built up a Remedy Carbon frame yesterday and rode today. The first thing I noticed was how smooth the suspension felt. Maybe the shock, maybe not. The biggest improvement I felt was the lower shock mount has a bearing rather than a bushing. I set up my shock with the same pressure, 200 psi, with about 20% sag. My 2017 Remedy had about 30% with the same pressure. With the Thru Shaft shock, there is very little, if any, sticky feel or lag as soon as you sit on it. I'll get at it this weekend and maybe even set it up with the Shockwiz.

Also, someone please buy my aluminum frame.

mtbr member
    How could to tolerate building it up yesterday, and riding it today? Hopefully it wasn't at Swatty!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Just one ride with this new shock on my FEX 9.9, but jeebus, it's sweet.

No stiction. Especially noticeable coming down chunky trails and anywhere on sharp stutter bumps.

This bike, with this shock and 130 travel, feels more plush than my 15 Remedy 29er with Fox DRCV, Fox Evol, or Rockshox rear shock and 140 travel.

Well done, Trek/Fox/Penske. All that remains is to pass the longevity test.

Side Note: Whatever Fox did to the Factory 34 fork for 2018 is also working. Noticeably more plush than the last few years. Actually felt more buttery than the beloved Pike on my Remedy.
    Whining is not a strategy.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Just one ride with this new shock on my FEX 9.9, but jeebus, it's sweet.

No stiction. Especially noticeable coming down chunky trails and anywhere on sharp stutter bumps.

This bike, with this shock and 130 travel, feels more plush than my 15 Remedy 29er with Fox DRCV, Fox Evol, or Rockshox rear shock and 140 travel.

Well done, Trek/Fox/Penske. All that remains is to pass the longevity test.

Side Note: Whatever Fox did to the Factory 34 fork for 2018 is also working. Noticeably more plush than the last few years. Actually felt more buttery than the beloved Pike on my Remedy.
    So you're telling me I need to buy a new bike? Darn you!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The funny bit here is this news came when I got my current model year Fuel EX frame only (like the 9.9) with a 140 Pike tuned to perfection and thought how it is how I always wished suspension worked.

More funny is a lot of bike swapping in the family right now - same height parents and sharing with teens. I have a grin if I ride a heavy basic older steel hard tail, fattie or newest bike.

I does read like the shock design is an incremental improvement but I'm also still convinced you have diminishing returns as you spend. Nothing beats working on your bicycle engine and skills. I'll go for a ride in today's perfect weather and wait for this to trickle down.

ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    So you're telling me I need to buy a new bike? Darn you!
    Well, no, but I always thought a reasonable excuse to shop for a new toy was a good thing!

I also have to say that it is so cool to be back on a Reaktiv shock. I've been very focussed on endurance racing for the last many years, so have been running a DPS shock instead, to have the super-firm lockout I like during the inevitable fire climbs in those races.

With retirement from racing, I don't need that, and I was surprised (again) at just how great the Reaktiv stuff is for efficient, plush trail riding.
    Whining is not a strategy.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Okay fine! I'll start shopping for a new bike.