Thread: Trek sucks

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Trek sucks

I mainly tiltled this "Trek Sucks" because it would catch your eye.

what types of gear do you take with you when you ride the trails? do you take a pack with your own gear or do you buy like an emergency kit with various items in it?

mtbr member
    Beginner forum, take a look

mtbr member
    I ride with my hydropack, spare tube, pump, mini tools, very minor emergency medicine, pocket knife, and my cellphone.

banned
    Apr 2009
    I would add (on the trails)--dog spray (10% pepper spray)---

then a knife (I don't do the pocket knife)--I got this on Clearance last month at KMART (it is $3 less than AMAZON has it)----I keep it in my bike bag (not on me when riding)----here it is (Smith an Wesson Swat 2)---

Smith & Wesson CK5 Swat II Knife - Amazon.com

and make sure you have tick spray (don't get and ticks)---ALSO I DO NOT use DEET, I use the All Natural kind (that works)---

I use BUZZ AWAY Extreme (and never had a tick in 4 years...)

-------------------AND That is a minimum (feel free to bring anything else also--just have the right carry and conceal permits...)--but why deal with dogs (and their foolish owners, or just Thugs trying to take your new bike!!!)-----

Love4Mtns
    May 2009
    JEEZ, 247, sounds like you've had some rough experiences riding.

BTW, you forgot to mention Zombie Apocalypse kit, because you never know...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    im no beginner, but i have been a downhill racer for 6 years now. im simply doing a survey.

Love4Mtns
    May 2009
    Ok, serious answer. It depends on the ride (how long, how remote, etc.) I always bring my water pack, pump, spare tube, tire-levers (tried tubeless for a while, went back), multi-tool.

I also pack my ID, health insurance card, and cell phone for when $#!t happens.

On longer rides, I add some food (bars or trail mix), lights (I've been way out and missed a turn only to get back to my car at dusk, not fun), and a second spare tube.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    did you buy a pre made kit or just a bunch of small portable tools to take with you?

mtbr member
    camelback
    64-100oz water depending on length of ride and heat
    spare tube, patch kit, 2 levers, co2 inflator, 1 cartridge in it and 2 others
    First aid kit with tweezers that has small light on it, also a few bucks in the first aid kit
    Cannondale bike tool, medium size knife/multitool
    Tire pressure gauge with 2-3ft of duct tape wrapped around it
    a zip tie or two
    some combination of energy gels/blocks and a cliff bar
    My keys, a cc, and my id go in the pack as well
    Usually my phone goes in my pocket
    On the bike I have a pump and if its really really hot i put a bottle of gatorade or something in the cage

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    which do you prefer, pre-made kit or separate tools you have selected?

banned
    Apr 2009
    you forgot to mention Zombie Apocalypse kit
    My neighbor would like to hear that, he is a BIG Walking Dead guy!

Ok, serious answer.
    Actually that was! I have been riding 4 years and always wondered why more DOES NOT happen on the trails (But maybe it does but just not reported?)

I am also from Philly (born and raised) and I always knew you had better be prepared for things (even the Flash Mobs they started there..)

But riding in South East Pa. you do see things like this that happened last year here (just glad this biker did not end up Dead by these thugs..)

Boys Attack Cyclist Who Fights Back, Kills 1: Cops | NBC 10 Philadelphia

--So my answer could not be More Serious!!--think if someone wants to do you harm what better place than 10 miles deep in the woods (with No Video Camera's, No Cell Reception, No one nearby to call for help most times---and depending on the remoteness of the trail, they might not find your body for weeks?? And that is hoping someone knows where you went...

I need skills
    Jul 2004

mannyraid Sucks!

I mainly tiltled this "mannyraid Sucks" because it would catch your eye.

Wrong forum for your query. There is "poll" option for survey posts. What the heck is an "emergency kit"? Are you looking for flares? What do you carry while downhilling? You have been a DH racer for six years? I call BS.

this is your first ever post. Your 2nd ever post, you ask if anyone buys frame protectors/skins? that is answer is no. Multiple companies make and market these protectors, but no one buys them. Companies just make them year after year to feel good about themselves. DH racers especially don't buy them. You will NEVER see such a product on a DH bike, (as I am sure you are aware).

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson View Post
    I mainly tiltled this "mannyraid Sucks" because it would catch your eye.

Wrong forum for your query. There is "poll" option for survey posts. What the heck is an "emergency kit"? Are you looking for flares? What do you carry while downhilling? You have been a DH racer for six years? I call BS.

this is your first ever post. Your 2nd ever post, you ask if anyone buys frame protectors/skins? that is answer is no. Multiple companies make and market these protectors, but no one buys them. Companies just make them year after year to feel good about themselves. DH racers especially don't buy them. You will NEVER see such a product on a DH bike, (as I am sure you are aware).
    i don't think you understand what I'm trying to do. I am very aware no one races with frame protectors, this information is not for me nor people who race, its for the company i work for who is going after a certain crowd. they have questions, so i go out and answer them for them via the masses. I'm no idiot, but apparently you seem to think you own the whole damn world in dh. take your "experienced" close minded self somewhere else.
    thank you

I need skills
    Jul 2004
    Claiming you are basing market research on your lame posts makes you a bigger BS'er. This "company" you work for, they don't ask for your sample size, criteria, or the base questions used in your research?

Mannyraid typed, "I am very aware no one races with frame protectors,.." Do you take the downtube guard off your Session 88 when you race? Does that make you faster? I'd like to know the theory about not racing with it.

Session 88 - Trek Bicycle

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    well someone has a stick up their ass dont they? I can turn around and call you a BS'er as well, for all i know, your a 13 year old rich kid who doesnt have to do **** to get their bike. yes, the session 88 is my bike, no i dont ride with a down tube protector, yes i do race.....we can argue all day about this, i dont mind, i am getting paid to do this.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Cell phone, multi tool, food bar (pending ride length), water bottle/camelback. I ride tubeless and terrain allows me to forgo extra tubes. I pack really light as my trails are mostly loop type. I would pack different if my ride would warrant.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Can I have the two minutes back that I used to read this thread?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    nope, too bad, it was your own fault you looked here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I bring my camelbak with 100 oz bladder filled, an extra bottle with Skratch Labs mix, tube/levers, multi tool, pair of slip-joint pliers, sunglasses with clear lenses for when it gets wet out (it's hard to ride with mud in your eyes), 3-4 gels (I like Hammer Nutrition of these), bag of almonds and usually some bars if I haven't eaten them before I get to the trails, and a flashlight. I leave the attitude at home