mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Trek stock OSB rims tubeless with just Stans yellow tape

I want to convert the OEM Bontrager Cousin Earl Elite OSB(Offset Spoke Bed) wheelset to tubeless. This is on a 2011 Trek Scratch 9.

Has anyone converted this rim or any Bonty OSB rim, like Rhythm or Duster, to tubeless with Stan's yellow tape and valve stem.

I have Stans yellow tape already. I prefer not to buy Bonty TLR rims strips & valves if I don't have too. Just wondering how the OSB valve hole will affect the stans valve stem seal.

Also, the stock tires are Bonty FR4 Team Issue 2.35" TLR. I read these tires do not set up well in tubeless, leaking sealant from side walls.

I have run tubeless on my other rigs before with Stans yellow tape. Just not with OSB rims.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Stans yellow tape works fine on OSB Bontrager rims, but you do need to be a bit careful installing the tape, at least on some of the rims. The Bontrager rims seem to have a deeper center channel than some others, so a little more effort is required to get the tape stuck down all the way across the rim without accidentally splitting it (trim those fingernails) or tearing it on a spoke hole. This seems to be a bigger problem with the narrow Race/Mustang extrusion than the wider ones like the Duster/Rhythm.

For what it is worth, I have done this a number of times but always just in a pinch and later (sometimes many months later) replaced it with the Bontrager strips. Their tubeless system works very well -- but I always use Stans sealant, not the Bontrager stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The TLR rim strip way easier than Stan's tape. Just snap it in, no muss, no fuss. Plus, you can keep re-using it. After a few tire removal/installs on Stan's, the tape can get messed up and you have re-wrap the rim. I still stick with Stan's juice, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by greenblur View Post
    The TLR rim strip way easier than Stan's tape. Just snap it in, no muss, no fuss. Plus, you can keep re-using it. After a few tire removal/installs on Stan's, the tape can get messed up and you have re-wrap the rim. I still stick with Stan's juice, though.
    I second that, I used the Bonty strips with Stans with no issues until I upgraded my wheels
    Misfit diSSent 1x10
    Jet 9

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The Bonty strips are SO easy, but if you want to use tape, it will work OK. Gorilla duct tape works better than the yellow tape. After taping, install a tire with tube, inflate to 40 psi, go watch a movie, then go the tubeless route. This will really get the tape down into the groove and stick it down well.

No idea on the FR4 going tubeless, but Bonty tires are generally no-brainer easy to convert. I've got XR3s and XR4s at the moment, and they converted easily.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Didn't want to start a new thread so...

I've got a pair of Bontrager Duster TLR OSB rims from my Remedy and I'm thinking of going tubeless with it using Continental Mountain King II UST tires (2.4 and 2.2). My experience with tubeless is only with ZTR rims (Crest, Flow EX).

That said, do I need to use a rim strip to go tubeless with my Duster rims or can Stan's yellowtape suffice?

mtbr member
    The tape works just as said above, the issue is the off set hole placing, you need to make sure you get them covered properly. I did this, after months running it this way had slow leaks and saw bubbles of Stan's coming from the around the spoke nipples. Opened it up and saw the tape migrated a bit to the side and exposed the spoke holes, just a sliver is all it takes. The Bonty rim strips are a fail safe system to avoid this. My only issue with the Bonty system is the way the presta stem fits, as you tighten the retaining nut on the rim the stem can spin out of it's seat and cause a leak there. All in all though, go Bontrager strips in Duster rims.
    2010 Fuel EX9: Eat Paleo, Feel Great!
    Dirt is Natural, Pavement is Un-natural, Stay Dirty My Friends!

Super Clyde
    Why does everyone use the Stan's juice vs. the Bontrager?

Sent from a telecommunication device with a touch screen keyboard.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Ok, just had the Duster rims done. Installed yellowtape, inserted tube, mounted tire, inflated to 40psi, and left it that way overnight. The following day, unmounted just one side of the tire, removed tube, installed tubeless valve, mounted tire, soapy water treatment, then inflated to 40psi to lock the tire. Removed the valve core, poured Stans through it, returned core, and once again inflated to 40psi.

As of this morning, both tires are ok. Didn't detect any air leaking through the nipples when I had soapy water applied there. Initially there was at the valve but tightening the locking nut solved that easily. Needed some shaking though to really get a seal.

Will get the Bonty rim strips (or its NoTubes equivalent) one day however.

mtbr member
    Straight forward tubeless conversion with my Duster 29er wheels. No rim tape other than the yellow tape that came with the wheels with about 2.5 cups of Bontrager sealant for each tires. Front and back tires are both 2.30 XR3 Experts. I have to use CO2 inflator initially and a floor pump to increase pressure to about 40psi. Lost a bit of pressure a day after the conversion but after a few rides in the trails, I guess it has now fully sealed. Im running it at about 28-30 psi at the moment.