mtbr member

Trek Stache - worth it from FS?

Hey all,

I'm sure this topic has been covered to death elsewhere but wanted to get some opinions on those who have the Stache. Riding a 2011 Fuel EX8 right now and while I like it, I am quite intrigued to try out the Trail 29er idea, and give my EX8 to my nephew. I have a long drive to my closest LBS so its not so easy to just drive down and test one.

I really like the idea of the Stache, and am considering it for my next bike vs the EX8 29er. Am wondering if anybody has made the move from FS to HT and what their experience has been. I had an X-Cal a while back and liked it, though not quite the trail machine my current EX8 26er is. I understand the Stache is a different machine altogher....

So any opinions on going from FS to the Stache? And how it rates as a trail bike compared to the new EX 29ers.

Thanks!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Never ridden an EX of any sort, but have been on an Anthem X 29er for the past two years prior to getting a Stache 8 frame/fork and building it up from there. I also spent about a month or so on a stock Stache 8 (with a RS Reverb adjustable seatpost). I still have the Anthem X 29er, but have ridden it maybe a couple times since the Stache 8 has arrived. On the local trails, where I don't feel that I necessarily need rear suspension, I'm faster on the Stache 8. I can hang it out a bit more with the extra 20 mm travel on the fork, and just let the back come along for the ride.

I don't think it too much different in geometry from Trek's XC hardtails. I think it's 1 slacker, and has an extra 20mm travel in the fork. With the ISCG tabs, braced left side chain/seat stay, stealth dropper post cable routing, and shorter seat tube length (and consequently lower top tube), it is definitely designed for a little more than just pure XC riding, but I would say it was quite as 'heavy duty' as a true all-mountain bike should be. Just my style. I call it my 'giggle bike'. It just makes me want to cackle and laugh when I ride it.

There are a few places that I ride occasionally, that if they were my go-to trails, I would want to ride FS for certain, but for the trails I ride most, a good hardtail is a better choice for me. Most regular riders I know, ride FS these days, but more often than not, I find myself reaching for the Stache 8. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Im actually considering the Anthem X 29 or 27.5, if I dont get the Stache, so thank you for your input. I ride in Northern CO where there is a good amount of XC, technical trail, and everything in between. I most ride the XC type stuff though, so I think the Stache could be for me.

The one thing I'm worried about is missing that sweet plush feeling on the tush. Thanks again.

Bikes!
    You'll definitely feel the difference in the butt-region if you swapped to a Stache, although it is an awesome bike I personally found it pretty stiff and uncomfortable but then again I'de not ridden a hardtail for any decent length of time for the past couple of years when I borrowed a Stache 8 for a month back in June.

Very cool and fun bike though, I miss the one I had...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I can't decide between a Giant Talon 27.5, Fuel 29er or the Stache. I tested the Stache 8 at a demo and really liked it. I am coming from a HT so I am not accustom to FS. I tested the other two at parking lot rides and liked them as well but I know it is not the same as testing on the trail. Why Talon, I guess I am afraid to make the jump all the way to the 29er and that is why it has appeal.
    Last edited by bob_m; 08-27-2013 at 04:45 AM.

mtbr member
    I just rode my EX8 again, and my wives Superfly AL Hardtail at my local trail (which was a tiny bit small but still fit). A couple things I noticed, while fairly obvious, was the wheels did make a big difference for getting over things, and missing out on rear suspension seemed to help a bit in climbs (been a while since ive ridden a HT)... that said I did feel more in control of my Fuel EX 8 26er (Im only 5'8 so 26er fits well), and the suspension definitely felt like something I might miss. I can really whip that thing around corners too.

I think I'll likely be holding onto my Fuel a bit longer and holding out on the Stache, though it does look intriguing. I still want to eventually move up to a 29er, not sure FS or not. Really like the Stache as I feel the Fuel EX 29er might be a bit boatish for me and heard they were somewhat heavy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    what jeffj said.
    My stache 8 is probably one of the most fun bikes I have ever owned. I sold my tracer and dont miss it. I had a RIP9 before that and a mojo before that. I really dont miss the FS. The more I ride it the more I like it. the only thing I changed was I added a dropper post. I have pretty much beat all my times going up and down on the stache. The trails I ride are not crazy technical, but fast. Plenty of drops and jumps. Depends on your riding style, I guess. For me the stache straight up rips. A "giggle bike " for sure. Get one!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    mvallejo,

to me the solution seems obvious...buy the Stache and keep your Fuel! I did exactly that...I hung on to my upgraded 2011 EX7 and bought a Stache 8 a few months ago. Being able to choose between a nimble and flickable FS bike or a fun and fast HT 29er to match the riding conditions of the day is frickin' sweet.

Comparing the Stache to your wife's Superfly AL isn't really apples to apples. The Stache utilizes different geometry, shorter chain stays, higher volume tires, and more travel than a Superfly. I also own a 2013 Superfly AL Elite HT, and since the Stache arrived the Superfly has been collecting dust. Compared to the Superfly, the Stache is playful and fun, and I find the relaxed geo and more upright riding position of the Stache far more comfortable and better suited for trail riding. Though the Superfly is fast and makes a great XC bike, I never really grew accustomed to mine despite my best efforts to dial it in. Matter of fact, I plan on trading it in on a Fuel 29er very shortly.

To summarize...buy the Stache!!

mtbr member
    You guys arent making my life easy here. I'm really giving the Stache an extra thought.

Problem, Superfuel, is that I would use the money from the sale of my EX8 to buy the Stache. So unfortunately would not be able to keep both. Also crossing my mind, as you said, is if I'm going to sell my current bike, should I get a stache or a FS 29er like an SF 100 or EX 29er, which would only be a bit more but may be worth saving.

Decisions, decisions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Before I bought my Remedy 9 this spring I took advantage of a Trek demo day and rode back to back a Stache and a Fuel EX. For me I decided that the HT is too limiting and decided to go with FS (29er) as my only bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Mvallejo,

apologies...in your original post you mentioned giving your Fuel to your nephew so I didn't realize you had to sell it to fund the purchase of a new ride. Since that's the case, I would suggest either waiting until you can afford to buy the Stache and keep your Fuel for those trails that require a FS bike, or purchasing a FS 29er if you must sell your Fuel. I have a feeling you'd prefer the Fuel 29er to the Superfly 100, but if possible demo both to see which model suits you best.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Check Ebay! There are several Stache frame/fork combos being sold at good prices. After you build your Stache you won't look back!

mtbr member
    So I know the Stache is described as a trail bike... how would it supposedly hold up on pretty rocky terrain. I spend 1/2 the year in Tucson AZ and the other 1/2 in Fort Collins CO. Both great Mtn biking areas but both very rocky and can get a bit rough.

Does the Stache hold up well in the rocky stuff? I dont really do anything too crazy or technical, but I do enjoy some trails peppered with rock gardens and small drops, etc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I suggest trying the new fuel 29er. I had a 2011 EX8 and was ready to pull the trigger on a stache 8. I did a trek demo and liked the bike. A friend of mine bought one so i got the chance to ride it on my local trails. I found I would miss the fs too much. The stache felt kind of long in the corners (tight trails). So when the fuel 29ers were announced I blindly too the plunge on a new EX8 29er. After almost 3 months of use I have found the bike to keep most of the charictaristics of the 26er ex8 I had. Cornering is better IMO than the stache on tight trails. Wheelie and maunuals are harder on the 29er vs the 26er ex8, the 29er fuel should be similar in this dept as the stache.

But by all means a stache will have the same ht harshness as your wifes superfly does.

For me I would love a stache as a second bike. I like FS too much.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon