Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Trek Stache 8 build in progress.

I picked up a Stache 8 frame today! It looks awesome with the dark gloss over clear coat. Built it with a hodge podge of parts for now. Forgot to weigh the frame. Not going to use the stock fox 120mm CTD fork(hint for sale) Have not ridden or weighed it yet.

Cool things. Looks like a lot of tire clearance. A race king 2.2 has tons of room at the chainstay and even more at the seatstay. Internal shift cable routing is nice. Even has a hole for stealth routing for a reverb or similar dropper post. Also, rear dropouts can be 9mm qr or 12maxle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Stache 8 build in progress.-uploadfromtaptalk1347165131939.jpg  

Trek Stache 8 build in progress.-uploadfromtaptalk1347165162694.jpg  

Trek Stache 8 build in progress.-uploadfromtaptalk1347165180806.jpg  

Trek Stache 8 build in progress.-uploadfromtaptalk1347165199552.jpg  

Trek Stache 8 build in progress.-uploadfromtaptalk1347165223157.jpg  

Trek Stache 8 build in progress.-uploadfromtaptalk1347165244533.jpg  

http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Future plans,
    Rockshox revelation or fox f29 34mm or sid 29 120mm
    Xt or sram x9 build with shadow + or type 2 derailleur
    Maybe flow ex rims when they are available on huge flanged e13 hubs.

Current build.
    Manitou Tower Pro (xfirm) temporary (for sale actually)
    X0 9spd gripsshift.
    Crankbros cobalt 11 bar
    Cheapo bontrager stem
    Cheap bontrager seatpost.
    Xt 9spd triple.
    X0 9spd rear derrailleur
    Bontrager RaceXlite rims on wtb qr hubs

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Sweet frame and build dude. I'm interested in the Stache 8 too. Let us know how it rides and a weigh in.
    Civilian Young Turk 29er

The Other Dude
    Just because someone asked my 19" stache 8 frame weighed in at 3.84lbs on my scale. Thats with the 12x142 drop outs in, but no axle or seatpost clamp.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I tell myself there are are better "buys" for the price of a Stache.... but I really like the colors. I am shallow like that.... I would love to have the all green set up.... orange would be better (orange is the fastest color for bikes or cars).
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    When you upgrade your fork, are you planning on getting a G2/51mm offset or no?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    not sure. I have a 100mm fork on it now. It is not g2. It will depend on the fork I buy really. not sure if the fox 34 comes in g2 if I go with that.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Revelation and Reverb in the mail! Now to get some different rings for my xt cranks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just sold the homegrown for a stach 8 cant wait!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    So many goodies still coming! MRP 2x chain guide. 36T chainring for my Xt crank with raceface lightbash guard.

Still need to decide If I want to update with X0 type 2 or not. I have the shifters, just need to pnoy up for the rear derrailleur. It's just X0 9spd and X0 9spd Gripshift work SO well.

Bikes!
    Thinking about buying one of these myself, it will be interesting to see how you get on with it?
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tropical phil View Post
    Just sold the homegrown for a stach 8 cant wait!
    What sucks the schedule delivery date is not until Dec 4th. Very nice build do you plan on putting a drop post on. So how many miles did you put on the stache and how's the ride feel?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Can't wait to hear what you think about the feel of it. My LBS said he couldn't recommend it when I asked after returning an EX8 that kept giving me problems. The specs look great and no rear shock problems to deal with.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I love this bike. Just spent the weekend ripping Big Bear. If you are new to mountain biking this may not be your bike. A full suspension bike will be much more comfortable.

With that being said. I didn;t really feel that the bike was holding me back. More, my lack of confidence in super rocky terrain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Get a hardtail, I feel you can develop better riding skills. A FS is made for down hilling

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeNeverwinter View Post
    I love this bike. Just spent the weekend ripping Big Bear. If you are new to mountain biking this may not be your bike. A full suspension bike will be much more comfortable.

With that being said. I didn;t really feel that the bike was holding me back. More, my lack of confidence in super rocky terrain.
    With your first rides out the way do you think the stache can be used as an "everyday bike"? I was told at the shop Its not good for everyday use, that it shines only when you push it.
    I'm on the verge of going against what they recommended and order one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Sharp ride!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Noob, for me it's purpose is an everyday bike. Even with a mrp chain guide and heavy wheels and tires. But, i have a full suspension racy bike for the longer rides or if I am riding with guys a lot more fit than me.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeNeverwinter View Post

Why is this bike not good for a noob ? is it hard to ride?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Noob9ers View Post
    With your first rides out the way do you think the stache can be used as an "everyday bike"? I was told at the shop Its not good for everyday use, that it shines only when you push it.
    I'm on the verge of going against what they recommended and order one.

Why is it not good for everyday use ? Why does it only shine when you push it ?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Guy i was responding to has a user name of noob29er.....

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by winginit View Post
    Why is it not good for everyday use ? Why does it only shine when you push it ?
    That's what I'm trying to figure out. The guy at my LBS told me that when I asked him about getting a display so I could try it. I personally think the bike looks awesome and will probably order one when I get back from vacation. Im just trying to more info from someone that actually owns one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Noob9ers View Post
    That's what I'm trying to figure out. The guy at my LBS told me that when I asked him about getting a display so I could try it. I personally think the bike looks awesome and will probably order one when I get back from vacation. Im just trying to more info from someone that actually owns one.

I am not being a wise guy. I have one on order, The store manager and one of the machanics also have one on order and they think it is a great spec.

I think alot of time shops not only bike ! try to sell you what they have and talk down other stuff. I am not sure if i would give that guy`s statement any marit. But still makes me wonder.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Got some new goodies installed.
    Xtr trail brakes
    Xtr shifters
    Xtr shadow + rear derrailleur
    Xtr front derrailleur
    Xt rotors/cassette/chain
    E13 trs+ dual!

Still need to make a decision on a new stem/bar combo.

I also have some older shimano caged clipless pedals. But they are TANKS. Almost 600 grams. Might just use normal shimano pedals or switch to mallets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Stache 8 build in progress.-uploadfromtaptalk1352299946388.jpg  

Urban Ninja
    I built mine like this...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Stache 8 build in progress.-img_0140.jpg  

Trek Stache 8 build in progress.-img_0139.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast