mtbr member

Trek Stache 6 - What do you think?

Saw one of these at a shop in a town 2 hrs away a little while back and loved the look. Components looked like serviceable decent stuff. The fork looked like a weak link but still usable. Does anyone know what a 17.5" weighs? Anyone put one through the paces yet? Looks like a lot of fun.
    I wanna ride!

DFMBA.org

Trek Stache 6 - What do you think?-imag0083.jpg

Trek Stache 6 - What do you think?-imag0081.jpg

I'll give my 0$.02 since I just got a 19" (large) Stache 6 for free. I didn't pay anything for it so my reviews are pretty spot on since there's no 'buyer's bias' here. The bike is a fun, lively ride but it's heavy in some areas that are readily correctable. Geometry is pretty good but the stem length was out of whack for my bike/size. Here goes:

1) I'm 6'1" and the bike came with a 90mm stem. Shortened that to a 70mm and it was a vastly improved feel.

2) The Bonty XR3 Comp (wire) tires are stupid-heavy at 1063g each. The upside is that they are grippy but I'm going to reduce the 2.3 tire in the rear to a 2.0-2.1 folding and save it for the front. Once the wire XR3s wear out I'm not gonna look back.

3) The Bonty XR850 wheels are heavy (1000g FR, 1132 R nekkid) but they have a great shallow profile that's suitable for a tubeless setup. Sorry no Bonty rimstrip for this wheel as Trek deems it 'not tubeless tready', but mine went up tubeless using 2 layer of Gorilla Tape and Stan's valves. Again, Trek doesn't recommend this wheel for a tubeless setup.

4) The stock SSR seat post was also stupid-heavy at 422g (weighed). I immediately threw that in the trash and swapped it for a Syncros AL seat post at considerably less weight.

5) The stock Bonty Race grips on my bike actually felt decent but rotated quite a bit. Put those in the trash too and went to SRAM contoured foam locking grips. Ergons would probably be even better.

6) The RockShox XC32 on the Stache 6 is like a poor-man's Reba. It's got solo air and a 15mm t/a which makes it trail-worthy but it's a bit on the heavy side. Locked out is LOCKED OUT but full-open is your only other option. The rebound position is click-type with only about 4 choices to choose from. I think mine's in the middle and it feels ok. I won't be looking for a replacement anytime soon unless a 120mm G2 Reba practically falls in my lap. Oh yea...it's G2 geo. The jury is still out on that for me right now.

7) The stock Shimano brakes absolutely BLOW. My 2013 Elixir 3s on my f/s bike are far superior at braking power (on a bike 2 lbs heavier), plus the Shimano fronts howl like a mofo at low speed and fade off quickly. I know, most people love Shimano brakes here but the low-end ones on this bike suck big time.

8) The SRAM X5 front derailleur is a P.O.S. I've had my lbs try to dial this thing in and is under or over shifts constantly. Right now I'm living with it until after the holidays and then I'll replace it. Btw, I have an X7 on a f/s bike and it's a piece of crap too. Both are SRAM direct-mount f/d and they just suck tremendously. Note: The Deore rear derailleur is awesome and shifts like butter. Also the Deore shifters are pretty good and would not require a change in my book.

9) 36/22 2x10 is a huge plus for me, personally. I have a 38/24 on another ride and found myself staying in the big ring on the Stache more often than the 38 on the other bike.

The look of the bike is outstanding and the feel and handling is very confident as well. It's a stiff bike and tracks well where you point it. As stated, the brakes suck but perhaps a pad change may change things. Dunno. If I was going to purchase a Stache, I'd definitely reach for the 7 or 8 unless the 6 is your budget, but I would get the 6 over a X-Cal 9 though. I miss the h/t that I sold last year and I got the 6 for free so I'm keeping it. Thinking about making it a 1X10 or a SS. It's a good bike and I like it, but if you can spring for a used 7 or 8, do that.

Edit: Bike as described above with Candy 1 pedals is 28lbs.
    Last edited by MTBeing; 02-21-2014 at 11:20 AM.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Great review MTBEING. Thanks!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nice read n yeah the stock seatpost sucks

mtbr member
    That's a great review. I'm wanting a hardtail for some stupid reason. My Rumblefish has been nothing but good to me but I really miss a speedy hardtail. I just don't care for the looks of the other Stache models. My other choice is a Superfly 6. This one has nicer parts for another $400. Any input on these? Thanks.
    I wanna ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yeah how are the Stacy and superfly ht different?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Stache and Superfly? Mostly a 5" fork instead of a 4" and somewhat heavier duty (and weight) builds. SF is more of an XC bike where Stache is billed as a trail bike. The SF 6 has a REBA fork w/ lockout and X7-X9 w lighter wheels, but costs $400 more. The Stache has thru axles but lesser fork and components.
    I wanna ride!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    That's a great review. I'm wanting a hardtail for some stupid reason. My Rumblefish has been nothing but good to me but I really miss a speedy hardtail. I just don't care for the looks of the other Stache models. My other choice is a Superfly 6. This one has nicer parts for another $400. Any input on these? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyfan78 View Post
    Yeah how are the Stacy and superfly ht different?
    The Stache has a 1 slacker HTA, and has a few other features that the Superfly doesn't (as far as I know). Those would include: 1) a brace on the non-drive side between the chainstay and the seatstay to absorb braking force [the caliper on the SF mounts between the stays now] 2) internal cable routing for a dropper seatpost 3) cable clamps along the underside of the top tube for external routing of a dropper seatpost 4) ISCG 05 tabs on the bottom bracket shell that will accommodate a chain guide, Hammerschmidt crankset, or any other accessory that requires them 5) the Stache has a direct mount front derailleur, and IIRC the aluminum SF doesn't.

Also, the forks on the SF 5, and SF 6 are 100mm travel, and have quick release dropouts, whereas all of the Stache models have 15QR with 120mm travel. Bottom bracket heights are similar.

I have no idea if the tubing on the Stache differs in thickness or butting profiles.

Those are the biggest differences that I am aware of.

Looks to me like the Stache 6 and Stache 8 are pretty similar looking. . . . .

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks for the review. I just ordered this bike was curious if you are still liking it? Also could you be more specific which seat post you put on your Stache? Or any recommendations? From what I'm reading it's prob gon be the first thing I replace.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The seatpost on the Stache is 31.6mm diameter. That can be one stiff hombre. If you're going to replace the stock seatpost, there would be a few reasons why I could justify doing so:

1) Adding a dropper seatpost. This is a great idea for the Stache as it is a bike that could get you into (and out of) situations that would be easier dealt with if you could lower your saddle on the fly.

2) You want something with some compliance to soften the ride a touch. Not a bad idea, but a quality seatpost that could do that is going to be expensive. Not quite as expensive in many cases as a dropper, but still pretty expensive. At 31.6mm, even some carbon seatposts will still be pretty stiff, so shop carefully if that is your objective.

3) You feel you need a different setback than the stock seatpost. That you could do relatively inexpensively.

Other than that, not too many other reasons I can think of unless you just want to because you want to. It's your money and your bike, so you are certainly within your rights to do that too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks for the info Jeff. I'm new to this so I shouldn't be to worried about a seat post. Just getting excited for my bike it should be in end of this week. It can be a long wait the week waiting for bike to come in. Guess I should just ride & then consider upgrades. Thanks again for input.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasoncharles17 View Post
    Thanks for the info Jeff. I'm new to this so I shouldn't be to worried about a seat post. Just getting excited for my bike it should be in end of this week. It can be a long wait the week waiting for bike to come in. Guess I should just ride & then consider upgrades. Thanks again for input.
    I bet you are looking forward to riding that bike, I am sure it is gonna be awesome! My friend Jason also just ordered that Bike and gets his this week...he is also very excited!!

DD

DFMBA.org

Quote Originally Posted by jasoncharles17 View Post
    Thanks for the review. I just ordered this bike was curious if you are still liking it? Also could you be more specific which seat post you put on your Stache? Or any recommendations? From what I'm reading it's prob gon be the first thing I replace.
    I've since sold it (and another bike) in order to upgrade to a f/s carbon. I put a 31.6 ( I think) Syncros on that was a single-bolt design and it sucked-a$$ too because the seat would tilt if I impacted it with my keister. In fairness to Syncros, I think they've changed the design now (mine was a close out). I had an Easton ea70 two-bolt on another bike and it was fantastic. A set-it-and-forget-it seat post.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Ok thanks for the info. I'm thinking of using a Thomson but will now check out the Easton also. Picked up my stache today & even just putt'n around climbing hills the stock seat post was kinda rough.