mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Trek or Specialized? (I've got a headache, but its worth it)

I am, and have been for some time now, looking to get a full suspension bike. I'm really torn between two bikes: Specialized SJ FSR Expert and Trek Fuel EX9. I have called many bike shops and have found both bikes to be very similar in price. The Fuel is slightly more expensive, but if it is the better chioce, I am willing to pay extra.

I test rode the SJ Expert and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Why don't other companies provide demo bikes like Specialized???? I may end up with the SJ just because the company is nice enough to lend the bikes for a true trial ride. The ride of the SJ was very plush and I went over many things that I would not dare go over on my Trek 4300 ht. However, on a 2.5 mile climb, I felt the bike did not pedal as efficiently as I would have liked (It may have been improper shock settings). Would the EX9 be better going up??? And, will it be as good going down??? The SJ was excellent going down.I think the Speicalized has an inch more travel over the Trek. Is that going to affect riding? Also the Trek has Rockshox and Specialized has Fox. Is Fox that much better? Which bike is lighter?

The style of riding I do is mainly singletrack, up and down hill (some long climbs), lots of roots/rocks. I havent raced yet, but may in the future. I really want a good climbing, plush full-suspension bike I can ride for hours at a time.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Work Hard, Play Harder
    Quote Originally Posted by jmundt
    I am, and have been for some time now, looking to get a full suspension bike. I'm really torn between two bikes: Specialized SJ FSR Expert and Trek Fuel EX9. I have called many bike shops and have found both bikes to be very similar in price. The Fuel is slightly more expensive, but if it is the better chioce, I am willing to pay extra.

I test rode the SJ Expert and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Why don't other companies provide demo bikes like Specialized???? I may end up with the SJ just because the company is nice enough to lend the bikes for a true trial ride. The ride of the SJ was very plush and I went over many things that I would not dare go over on my Trek 4300 ht. However, on a 2.5 mile climb, I felt the bike did not pedal as efficiently as I would have liked (It may have been improper shock settings). Would the EX9 be better going up??? And, will it be as good going down??? The SJ was excellent going down.I think the Speicalized has an inch more travel over the Trek. Is that going to affect riding? Also the Trek has Rockshox and Specialized has Fox. Is Fox that much better? Which bike is lighter?

The style of riding I do is mainly singletrack, up and down hill (some long climbs), lots of roots/rocks. I havent raced yet, but may in the future. I really want a good climbing, plush full-suspension bike I can ride for hours at a time.

Thanks for any suggestions!

My current and previous bike are both TREK's. Later this year when I buy my first FS bike though, I'm personally gonna go with the SJ fsr. A friend of mine just purchased one and he absolutely loves it. I have taken it on a few rides myself and it's a great bike. I have no experience with the TREK fuels though. Whatever you decide , good luck.
    06 Rocky Mountain ETSX - Full XTR, Fox Shox, Crossmax XL Wheels

work to ride to work
    Apr 2006
    You should ride them both and see which feels better. The linkage is very different between the two bikes.

-BD

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Trek Demo

I got to ride a Trek EX9 on the trails at one of their demo events. I liked the way it rode and the remote pop-lock thing on the bars was a very nice feature. I would assume this will make it a better climber than the Specialized, because i stiffens up the suspension, but doesn't lock it out. I think the Specialized is a 5" bike and the Trek is a 4. as far as racing goes, I'd say the Trek. If you do some rough trail rding than the Specialized might be better. I would check the Trek website and see if they are having any demos in your area. I was very impressed with the EX9. My full suspension bike is a Giant Trance, so that's what I am mainly comparing it to.

Vigilante Trail Groomer
    Jul 2005
    Look for a 2005 Trek Liquid or a 2006 Remedy. You'll get more travel than a Fuel EX and a bike thats built in a factory in the USA by TREK as opposed to an overseas factory that builds bikes for Specialized.