mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Trek Slash 8 -- tell me more pls

I have a 2011 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite, and has served me well. Recently went to a Trek demo at my favourite local trail. Test rode the Trek Slash 8 and was totally blown away. Tons of fun. Suspension was buttery smooth, pedaling efficiency up hills was excellent (given the bike's heft), and flickability was exceptional -- that thing loved to get some air and was so confident inspiring it made me a better rider. My question is what other bikes would be comparable to the Trek Slash 8 -- Stumpjumper EVO? Specialized Enduro? Yeti (which)? Pivot (which)? Ibis (which)? Santa Cruz (which)? Others? And among this group, which bike (s) would be recommended as good as the Slash 8 or is it the cat's meow?

Also, what's the view on the dropper post -- reliable? I really liked it, was a clean, smooth and quiet operation, but have no idea how it ranks versus other dropper posts on the market.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I am actually in the same boat as you at the moment haha. I am currently in the market for a new bike and my top three that exhibit the same qualities are the Trek Slash 8, the Giant Reign X0, and the Scott Genius LT20. For me, it is between the Trek and the Giant due to the Scott's exotic pull-shock, but if you're into that kind of thing go for it! Hope I was of some help