Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Trek slash

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Trek slash

I just found the bike to replace my gt force 2.0 but before i take money out my college account I need the following information:
    Weight, exact mm travel front and rear, price (frame only and total bike build), component spec and type of frame material used (carbon fiber anyone?) and geometry chart, type of suspension used (what has fox dreamed up for us now? And review written by pinkbike, bikeradar and mtbr
    The color looks amazing and the bike should be perfect for the trails I will be going on. I would like the price to be reasonable, but knowing trek it'll probably be around 5500 for the top tier model. If anyone knows any info please do tell as I am extremely interested. Would prefer weight to be under 30 pounds to keep it under what specialized enduro and pivot firebird are.
    Thanks a lot,
    Fatwheels

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    It is still in production so at Trek World in Mayrhofen they only had a Slash to show, as far as I know, nobody got a chance to ride it. I'll tell you what I know but it's probably no more than you've already got. Frame isn't available in carbon, now they are either going to be sneaky and release it after Eurobike or alternatively they may wait and see how the metal version is received first. I think they should release a carbon version as soon as possible given the S-Works Enduro, Nomad carbon and Ibis Mojo are all in the same category.

The suspension is based on DCRV technology which is a very good system. It has only just be introduced to Fox forks and is exclusive to Trek. Initial ride reports are promising but it's still early in the 2012 release schedule so expect to see some more details over the coming months. It's 160mm front and rear and will be available with either Fox or Lyrik forks. It has a 66 h/a so is quite slack but with a Talas or U-turn fork in low travel mode should have a h/a of about 68 degrees.

I guess component wise it'll be a choice between X0 and XTR trail I guess but that's purely speculation. Weight would be around 30lbs I imagine in order to remain competitive. There will be a 7, 8, and 9 being the high end model and I suspect 9.9, 9.8 etc will come out next year. I'd love the price to be reasonable too but to be honest price is reflective of the manufacturing techniques used and componentary. The cost of living is going up all over the world and the price of manufacturing is going up as well so we'd love it to be cheap but don't bet on it!

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    That helps a lot, also they must have a custom fox color fork because according to treks website they will offer only talas and lyrics, but the talas has black lowers, not white like in the demo pictures. Hopefully this will be a upgrade from my gt, anyone think you can use this as a park bike, or is it an aggressive all mountain/light freeride only bike
    I believe they are going with SRAM over shimano which makes no sense considering how trek and fox love shimano (and I do too) why did they do away with the scratch air instead of doing what specialized does and offer 3 bikes that are within 10mm within each other travel wise (stumper, stumpjumper evo, epic evo, enduro, enduro evo, it's confusing huh) also why the lack of a adjustable seatpost?
    Thanks for the info, anyone else have anything to add?
    Fatwheels

mtbr member
    Just curious if the bike has ISCG tabs for a chain retension system.

Erik

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    IMHO it looks like a re named scratch air or pretty close to it with the new drcv for the forks. I imagine the numbers weght and geo wise would be similar. eyeballing it of course.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I've seen pics of the slash with an ethirteen

mtbr member
    THe bike will come with a chain guide as per Bikerumor. I love my Remedy 9.7 except for the fact it doesn't have a chainguide.

Erik

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I think bikerumor had pics of it with the chain guide.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fatwheels View Post
    I just found the bike to replace my gt force 2.0 but before i take money out my college account ...
    I think this is a BIG mistake, a college education will likely benefit you a lot more than a $5,000 bicycle. One of the biggest mistakes I have made in my lifetime was taking college money to pay for a motorcycle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Ya, been down that road. College is first! It taken me 2 years to save up enough cash to buy a bike like this but knowing I saved up for it makes it all that much better. Now its finding a decent deal on one...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Guys, this is a recession. DO you want another college-educated person out there competing for YOUR job? C'mon, let him buy his bike and enjoy your job security!

OP, you should re-evaluate your priorities.

free
    Jun 2009
    nice pics from a German site
    http://www.mtb-news.de/news/2011/07/...ll-trail-bike/

Slash 8

Slash 7
    The green one is the 9

Remedy 08 and 09 was way sicker looking

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My bicycle has taken me places that school never could.

mtbr member
    I hope they do a frame only, but don't think they will.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I was only joking about the college fund. I work at performance bike so that's my bike fund money. Geez. besides, my 3.6 gpa should help a little and I know how to invest and save up my money (unlike Americas who convince theirselves they deserve million dollar homes and fancy cars, because they are American, and they are living the "dream" and then have their lives ruined when it turns out they cannot afford the house and the car and then they go into debt for the next 20 years. (now we know why our economy is the envy of the world))
    Bike is looking freaking awesome in my opinion, and I will have to take a test ride on it to see how it feels.
    Fatwheels

my church is the woods
    Trek still hasn't figured out what Specialized has been doing for a few years now on the Enduro, which is a mid-cage rear derailleur instead of a long cage stick picker-upper. Why should I have to by a long travel bike a single or double chain ring and have to replace the $150 rear der. with one more appropriate?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fatwheels View Post
    I was only joking about the college fund. I work at performance bike so that's my bike fund money. Geez. besides, my 3.6 gpa should help a little and I know how to invest and save up my money (unlike Americas who convince theirselves they deserve million dollar homes and fancy cars, because they are American, and they are living the "dream" and then have their lives ruined when it turns out they cannot afford the house and the car and then they go into debt for the next 20 years. (now we know why our economy is the envy of the world))
    Bike is looking freaking awesome in my opinion, and I will have to take a test ride on it to see how it feels.
    Fatwheels

Not to get off on too much of a tangent, but:
    1. Good on you for your GPA...funny how not pertinent that number becomes in a few short years. Good for getting into college, that is all!
    2. Good on you for working/saving money to make **** happen.
    3. The american economy, even in its current state, is in better shape than much of the rest of the world, and gawd forbid **** hits the fan here, the rest of the world is even more ****t.
    4. If I were you, working at Performance Bike, I'd get a killer deal on a GT or Devinci thru Performance - the GT Fury 7" is a really nice bike!
    5. Your perspective on the "indentured servitude" is good for someone your age. Most people don't realize that they have really built a gilded cage until they are well past the point of no return.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Good question! This bike should have a mid not a long.

Anyone looking to pre-order one thats willing to drive to Colorado PM me and Ill give you details of a dealer that will give you 10% off and you dont pay sales tax if you dont live in CO. Its the best I have found! Ive gone to 8 dealers here and none would budge on price. best deal I have found.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    unfortunatly i do not live in colorado, i live in north carolina where the current temperature is 98 degrees with 61 percent humidity. (i know that people live in hotter weather, but i am still allowed to complain).
    i would love to buy the ruckus/fury, but for spec A Ruckus and spec B Fury the bikes weigh 44.63 pounds (ruckus) and 43.2 pounds(fury) and are not fun going uphill, which is what all of my trails around me consist of.
    i had considered devinchis, but according to mbaction, the rear suspension on the model i want stiffens up under braking too much to be considered a good product.

for the trek slash, i am thinking that the spec "b" option-the red one would be what i would like the most component wise- i don't need all of the 2012 fox stuff.
    thanks for the info about the colleges, any good ones that will take a 3.6 gpa and have biking nearby?
    finally, i decided not to spend more than 4000 dollars on my next bike. this will probably eliminate the top model, but if you cannot buy a great bike for 4000 dollars, then hell, i give up.
    thanks for and more info concerning the bike, and keep it coming.
    fatwheels

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Who picks the part specs for trek bikes? I don't ride w/o a chain guide and I don't run long cage derailleurs. Please sell me the frame Trek!!!!

Reader
    Oct 2005
    As others note above, articles state that all of them are specced with 2 x 10 with chainguides--they're just not in all the pictures/show builds. As for the rear der., any good shop would change it out if it bothers you. I'd like to see a frame-only option too, although the X9 stock bike looks reasonable.
    For sale: NEW Race Face D2 stem, black, zero rise, 50mm length. $40

Ramp Local
    Just Googled Trek Slash. an unlucky coincidence for Trek. Yucky

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AptosRider View Post
    lol apparently captain kirk and spock were lovers???

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AptosRider View Post
    Or someone in Waterloo has a sense of humor.

mtbr member
    New Slash looks like a updated Remedy 2009 all round!! back to 160mm all mountain steed!!

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast