Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Trek slash

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Couple things, first hopefully some of you were lucky to see the Stregth in Numbers premier online today. Lot of Treks,Some great high speed Slash action.

Second, I've been on the Slash (Frame/custom build) for about a solid month and just wandering if anyone came to it from a Spec Enduro? The bike is awesome,but my love/hate with FSR just has me wandering.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Waiting for reverb stealth seatpost

mtbr member
    Is this bike underrated? Not much hype over this bike it seems! I had 4 years on a Nomad including my carbon version that I recently sold. I currently have a Yeti ASR-7 that I love. I just bought a green/black Slash frame that im unsure if I want to swap the parts from the 7!? Any Slash rider been on a ASR bike or a Nomad to compare?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Most Nomad guys are pretty happy with them and they are relatively affordable, but the quick release rear axle is lame. 142mm Through is standard now because it really stiffens up the back end.

I rode gnarly DH for years but just sold out for a Slash, and to be honest it's not that far off, except that it climbs awesomely. I still ride the same trails and hucks with ease. My only complaint(and its a kind of a huge deal) is the proprietary rear shock, especially when they have issues. When it works, it does actually feel bottomless and soaks up the biggest of hits, but it's blown up twice now, and each time was a over a 10km walk out, seriously disappointing...

Unless Trek comes up with other shock options, I'm trading in for a Knolly Chili with a CCDB Air next year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I wouldn't say underrated... I've never seen a bad review for the slash: Mountain Bike Action, VitalMTB, Pinkbike, BikeRadar, Mountain Flyer, and several others just to name a few. I just don't think a lot of riders tout its abilities online, my only complaint is I wish it would come in a carbon version.

mtbr member
    I changed my mind from Remedy to Slash.
    I don't want to give up Slash's downhill stability for Remedy's climbing balance, as I don't climb always have car up to hills.

2012 models have 20qr and 36 Fox Talas..However 2013 models bring new 34 Fox Talas CTD with 15qr.

I'm planning to immediately change this setup to , 2013 36 Fox Float with 20qr.
    But I don't know how to find proper adaptor to change front hub from 15qr to 20qr.

1- If I can't find a solution, I think I need to change front hub am I correct?
    Than I have to find 20qr front hub which have 28 spokes hole because Bonty wheelset only have 28 spokes.
    Currently new DT Swiss 240s hubs with 20qr only have 32 spokes support.

2- If I change forks from 34 to 36, will I get same geo as 2012's ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CaRaBeeN View Post
    I changed my mind from Remedy to Slash.
    I don't want to give up Slash's downhill stability for Remedy's climbing balance, as I don't climb always have car up to hills.

2012 models have 20qr and 36 Fox Talas..However 2013 models bring new 34 Fox Talas CTD with 15qr.

I'm planning to immediately change this setup to , 2013 36 Fox Float with 20qr.
    But I don't know how to find proper adaptor to change front hub from 15qr to 20qr.

1- If I can't find a solution, I think I need to change front hub am I correct?
    Than I have to find 20qr front hub which have 28 spokes hole because Bonty wheelset only have 28 spokes.
    Currently new DT Swiss 240s hubs with 20qr only have 32 spokes support.

2- If I change forks from 34 to 36, will I get same geo as 2012's ?

1) I don't believe the stock bontrager's offer adaptor tabs to convert from 15 to 20mm, but don't let that sway your choice on the 36...they're awesome.

2) No Trek changed the 2013 geometry to adjust for the fox 34 having a shorter axel to crown.

mtbr member
    Thanks for quick response, so how can I learn what will be the new geo values after I throw 36's into the front?

Once, Evans was selling that axle kits but not anymore..I think it only comes if you buy complete wheelset aftermarket.
    Bontrager Rhythm Pro/Elite Interchangeable 5/15/20mm Front Axle Kit | Evans Cycles

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    you're absolutely right, after double checking you can indeed get a conversion kit, you may just have to go to a trek dealer to get them though.

If you scroll through the Trek thread there was a post a while back that listed the 2012 and 2013 geometries side by side.

mtbr member
    That threat and side by side comparison chart belongs me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by djball View Post
    Most Nomad guys are pretty happy with them and they are relatively affordable, but the quick release rear axle is lame. 142mm Through is standard now because it really stiffens up the back end.

I rode gnarly DH for years but just sold out for a Slash, and to be honest it's not that far off, except that it climbs awesomely. I still ride the same trails and hucks with ease. My only complaint(and its a kind of a huge deal) is the proprietary rear shock, especially when they have issues. When it works, it does actually feel bottomless and soaks up the biggest of hits, but it's blown up twice now, and each time was a over a 10km walk out, seriously disappointing...

Unless Trek comes up with other shock options, I'm trading in for a Knolly Chili with a CCDB Air next year.
    New Nomads have 142 TA! My Slash frame I am getting needs a rear shock. Im thinking offset bushings!? What are my options?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    wouldn't offset shock bushings negate the Slash's adjustable geom?

mtbr member
    Im just super bummed I dont have any options! A CCDB Air would be sweet!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    What's the shock size (i2i or stroke) of the slash anyways?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Im just super bummed I dont have any options! A CCDB Air would be sweet!
    You might be able to if you can get the CCDB in the right e-e length and travel. Look here: DIY Trek Remedy 10-11 DRCV Coil conversion

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I looked into this. Slash size is 8.25 X 2.375

8.5 X 2.5 fits with 4mm to spare There is plenty of room for full compression, but the rear triangle almost hits frame on full extension(give or take shock tolerances it's kinda too close).

And obviously the bike sits a bit higher so you would have to run more sag. Not a big deal with CCDBAir

One off-set bushing would probably do the trick but I don't think you can get 40mm

Or Trek could ask Cane Creek to help us out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas_84 View Post
    1) I don't believe the stock bontrager's offer adaptor tabs to convert from 15 to 20mm, but don't let that sway your choice on the 36...they're awesome.

2) No Trek changed the 2013 geometry to adjust for the fox 34 having a shorter axel to crown.
    Trek didn't change the geometry to compensate for the 2013 34 shorter axle to crown vs the 36. You can see on their website the head angle is now steeper due to the shorter fork. 2012 head tube angles were 66.0 and 66.5. 2013 head angles are now 66.3 and 66.9. The adjustability is due to the mino-link. Fox is really pushing the 34 to everyone, my theory is because it shares common parts with more forks so it's cheaper for them to build yet still sell for high prices, increasing profit compared to the 36. OEM's are jumping on them to get a 1/3lb weight savings vs a 36. It seems the people that actually care, the riders, prefer the 36 for it's increased stiffness and very minimal weight penalty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by djball View Post
    I looked into this. Slash size is 8.25 X 2.375

8.5 X 2.5 fits with 4mm to spare There is plenty of room for full compression, but the rear triangle almost hits frame on full extension(give or take shock tolerances it's kinda too close).

And obviously the bike sits a bit higher so you would have to run more sag. Not a big deal with CCDBAir

One off-set bushing would probably do the trick but I don't think you can get 40mm

Or Trek could ask Cane Creek to help us out.
    Slash rear suspension will be works well with other shock, maybe DHX RC4 , instead Fox DRCV?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by speedsterR View Post
    Trek didn't change the geometry to compensate for the 2013 34 shorter axle to crown vs the 36. You can see on their website the head angle is now steeper due to the shorter fork. 2012 head tube angles were 66.0 and 66.5. 2013 head angles are now 66.3 and 66.9. The adjustability is due to the mino-link.
    Oooook,So we agree that the 34 is shorter (via the axle to crown), and we agree that the head angle was steepend for 2013 to compensate for the shorter fork... Yet you disagree that the geometry changed to accomodate the shorter fork?

mino-link offers the same half degree(ish) change it always did, 2013 different numbers are due the steepend head angle.

mtbr member
    Oooook,So we agree that the 34 is shorter (via the axle to crown), and we agree that the head angle was steepend for 2013 to compensate for the shorter fork... Yet you disagree that the geometry changed to accomodate the shorter fork?

mino-link offers the same half degree(ish) change it always did, 2013 different numbers are due the steepend head angle.
    Thanks for the info.
    So you mean frame only option, it's the same frame just with different colors?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the info.
    So you mean frame only option, it's the same frame just with different colors?
    if we are talking about the frame only, the 2012 has a different head angle because it came stocked (was built around) a slightly taller fork in the Fox 36. in 2013 they switched to the slightly shorter Fox 34 so to make up for it, they steepend the head angle.

I imagine if you were wanting to put a 36 on a 2013 frame it would be just fine as far as geometry goes, you may have to tweak your air pressure settings, mino-link, stack height, whatever, until it felt right for you, but I imagine the diffenence in AC height isn't enought that it would make a noticable difference in handling.

mtbr member
    Yep you're right, the reason that why I'm after for geo changes is I want to throw 36 on front.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Go for it!!!... I really like the 2013 Slash 9 frame's finish, so if I ever get one I plan to carry over my 36 as well

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

2013 numbers are different due to the shorter fork only. The Slash frame is the same between 2012 and 2013. In 2013, Trek speced the bike with a 34 Fox fork with a shorter axle crown than the 36, thus the resulting head angle is steeper because the front end is lower. Simple geometry. The geometry page on their website is for a frame with a Fox 34 height fork, because that is what they spec on the 9 and 7.

Trek can't give head angle numbers for their frame only options for every fork on the market, so they give it for the fork they spec on the majority of models, in this case the Fox 34 160.

I have a 2012 Slash with a 36 VAN, resulting head angle is about 66.0. I have also measured a friends 2012 Slash, same frame, with a 34 Talas, resulting head angle is around 66.5. The difference is solely between fork heights. Mino-link is in the same position for each measurement.

OP, 2013 and 2012 frames are the same, choose which color you like best, build and shred. The slash is an incredible all around bike. Enjoy.

mtbr member

The lime green is still sexy.

mtbr member
    @speedsterR,
    I think you should get slacker than 66 with that 36 VAN 180mm.
    Or have you lowered it to 160-170mm?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    @speedsterR,
    I think you should get slacker than 66 with that 36 VAN 180mm.
    Or have you lowered it to 160-170mm?
    I think his fork is 36 VAN 160mm, mine is equipped with 180 float down to 170mm and it become 65.5

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Looking for some opinions. I am looking to buy another bike this spring. at this point I am planning on a '13 slash 7. I am not real familar with rock shox. How do they compare to fox stuff. I like fox a lot but dont want to spend the extra money to get the 8 at this point. any imput on the lyrics would be great. thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Just picked up a 2012 slash 7 a few weeks ago which also comes with the lyric R. Long time fox fork rider. First rock shox fork in probably 10 years. So far, im impressed. Very plush. Set up with almsost 30% sag, i find im using the full travel without bottoming out. The lyric on the 7 is the R which only has rebound adjust, no compression. I'm not a big tinkerer when it comes to suspension--just want to set the sag and go. The slash is great BTW...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hey guys... Quick Slash Q... I'm 190-200 lbs and 5'11"... Currently ride a '12 Fuel 8 18.5". Should I aim for a 18.5" Slash frame or a 19.5"? I saw lots of comments about the frame being small but no complaints about having bought a bike and the size affecting the ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GoingOffRoading View Post
    Hey guys... Quick Slash Q... I'm 190-200 lbs and 5'11"... Currently ride a '12 Fuel 8 18.5". Should I aim for a 18.5" Slash frame or a 19.5"? I saw lots of comments about the frame being small but no complaints about having bought a bike and the size affecting the ride.
    I'd bump up to the 19.5...in my opinion its the top tube that feels a touch smaller. I had always rode 19.5 Fuels myself, but on the Slash I had to add a 20mm longer stem and have the seat slammed back in order to get the same fit. You'll love the bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    You'll love the bike
    Of this I have no doubt

My LBS has a '12 Slash 9 but isn't willing to make a deal (its my fourth bike purchase from them + the monthly visits to buy gear so I'm a bit turned off on this).

So stoked to snag one of these:

Used trek slash - - Page 1 - Pinkbike Buy&Sell

mtbr member
    I took my Slash 9 for the first ride today.
    I couldn't find correct suspension setup yet.
    However, I also haven't felt confident on the bike.
    Here is why:

My first ride was 4300D 19.5" hardatil, than i traded it for 8000 18.5" hardtail.
    I was OK with it while going downhill but NOK on the straight ways.

Normally I plan to get smaller bike again with Slash (18.5") to feel confident while going technical trail , but everyone convinced me to get 19.5" and even bigger. As I'm 6'2" (187cm)

As I said today was my first day, maybe I couldn't get used to bike yet. I like cockpit, sitting, reaching handlebar, pedalling in stretch position everything is perfect. It's just as I wanted to be.
    But while pointing downhill on techy trails, I couldn't put my feet on the ground as easy as my 18.5" Hardtail..Even I had a OTB small crash today!

My buddy was riding 6900 17.5" hardtail, now he also got Slash 8 17.5" and he was very happy. He's 5'10" (177cm)

So please tell me I'll get used to it, otherwise I felt demoralized :/

Here is couple of pics from today:

Last edited by CaRaBeeN; 12-19-2012 at 06:44 AM.

mtbr member
    I took my Slash 9 for the first ride today.
    I couldn't find to correct suspension setup yet.
    However, I also haven't felt confident on the bike.
    Here is why:

My first ride was 4300D 19.5" hardatil, than i traded it for 8000 18.5" hardtail.
    I was OK with it while going downhill but NOK on the strait ways.

Normally I plan to get smaller bike again with Slash (18.5") to feel confident while going technical trail , but everyone convinced me to get 19.5" and even bigger. As I'm 6'2" (187cm)

As I said today was my first day, maybe I couldn't get used to bike yet. I like cockpit, sitting, reaching handlebar, pedalling in stretch position everything is perfect. It's just as I wanted to be.
    But while pointing downhill on techy trails, I couldn't put my feet on the ground as easy as my 18.5" Hardtail..Even I had a OTB small crash today!

So please tell me I'll get used to it, otherwise I felt demoralized :/

Give it some time. Get the suspension dialed in then ride the heck out of it. It took me a while to get used to mine. Once you get used to the bike, you'll love how well it handles the rough and fast stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Carabeen - give it some time. It took me a few ride to get the suspension the way I like it. Heck, I still play with it from time to time.

What I did to speed up the process was set the shocks to Fox's website's "standard" and rode the bike in the front of the house over curbs, etc. I then started to play with rebound/pressure/sag. The more I rode in front of the house, the more I was also practicing skills (i.e. pedel wheelie, manuals, riding over curbs, cornering, etc.) with the Slash and I became more comfortable with it.

Keep riding and soon you'll feel confident and rip up the trails! Best of luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    @Carabeen-- at 6'2", i can't imagine you on anything smaller than a 19.5 slash.

If you want to put your feet down on a technical descent, get a dropper post, or lower your seat all the way.

I've had hardtails, full susp race bikes, 4", 5" and 6" travel bikes.... and more suspension doesn't instantly make you a better rider. Riding more makes you a better rider. Is your new Slash a better tool for the job? Most likely. But give it time and work on your skills.

For your suspension, find a short trail you can ride over and over, for say 10-20mins at a time. Adjust one suspension variable at a time, ride, reflect, repeat.

Edit: I see you have the stock dropper post. Drop it on descents. If it seems "harder" to put your feet down, I suspect its due to higher BB than your old hardtail. In techy rocky riding, this is typically a good thing. Don't stop mid-descent to put your feet down. Look down the trail, commit, ride it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I just like to comment the Slash ETT is one size small. I had a medium Remedy and went back and forth as to what size I should get in the Slash. I finally went with the large frame and glad I did. It feels more like the medium Remedy due to the shorter top tube. Also with my 5" gravity dropper post, it works perfectly with my short leg inseam of 30". So being 5'8" and 30" inseam, the large frame (18.5) fits great and would think anyone taller should go a size or 2 larger.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Anyone have any tips for internal cable routing? Specifically getting the cable from top of the downtube, out the bottom of the down tube?

mtbr member
    Carabenn, my buddy has this problem. His is from converting from XC style riding to the more technical style that bike loves to ride in. Am I out of line to guess that you are new to the technical part of the riding? Lower the seat, stay agressive (butt back, knees bent, ankles loose), and let the bike take the hits. I can't imagine going over the bars on the Slash where the 8000 did fine, so I'm also gussing they are harder trails?

Good luck and let us know hos it goes! I'm weighing on buying one but I think the 120-130mm range is good for me.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your supportive comments.

This weekend, I carried more speed. I think I'll get used to the size sooner or later. Altough size is perfect with my height for pedalling purposes and cocpit wise distance, I still think smaller frame is better for DH purpose.

Anyway, stock Bontrager XR4 2.35" tires seem to be too fragile. I got 2 flats on my 2 days ride.
    So I ordered Maxxis Minion DHF 2.7 ST front and DHR 2.5 ST rear
    What do you think, is this a good choice?Or 2.7 on front is the way heavy and overkill for Slash?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    2.5"s... I have 2.35"s and a bit wider would crush it

mtbr member
    I read Maxxis sizing is bit on the narrow side. Also a friend of mine uses 2.7 maxxis minion which seemed almost equal to my bonty 2.35's

So the reason why I choose 2.7 front, 2.5 rear:
    1- Maxxis 2.7 is actually 2.5 if you compare with other brands.
    2- Until I get over suffering from inexperience , I want max.grip so I go with wider. Once I wear off this tires, and got enough experience I can go with 2.5" maxxis (which is about 2.35 though)

mtbr member
    Changes:
    Easton Havoc 35 Handlebar + Stem
    DMR Vault pedals
    Maxxis Minion Tires

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    amazing slash

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Heres my 2012 slash 8. A few mods Ive done:

Fox 180mm Van front forks
    Truvativ 740mm Boobars
    Truvativ 40mm stem
    2.5 Maxxis Minion DHF tyre

(Sorry about the crap pic)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek slash-imag0208.jpg  

Last edited by coicab; 12-18-2012 at 02:49 AM.

mtbr member
    About DRCV shock:
    Propedal position 3 (which is firmest)...
    Climbing while seated is ok. It doesn't move much.
    But pedaling while standing than it moves a lot!
    Is this normal?
    2012 Trek Slash 9
    2012 Trek Session 9.9

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yes it is normal when our of the saddle for the pro pedal to open up...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I find the pro pedal is not perfect either. I have to set my shock rider weight plus 30-40 lbs so it doesn't bottom out and still, it bobs more than I'd like during climbing. I spoke to a local shock rebuilder, who mentioned additional dampers can be added to increase the pro pedal effect. I have not confirmed this with fox, but it's something I'll consider when I send mine in for servicing. The short answer is you can add more air pressure, but it will also reduce small bump compliance. Depends on your style of riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Finally got a FS trail bike! Just picked up a Slash 9 used by a Trek rep for a demo tour. The shop I picked it up at had two in the warehouse in a 21.5. After taking the 19.5 for a test ride this summer, I knew a size up was the way to go. Otherwise I was blown away by the way it rode.
    The shop was asking $2990 so I went today to check out the condition. Other than a few frame scuffs and foot rub wear on the crank arm graphic, it looks like new. If the tires are original, it looks like it wasn't used much. Couldn't pass up that deal when I planned on picking up something like this in the spring anyways.
    I was looking into this and a Remedy but being a DH rider/racer weighing around 205 without gear, I tend to ride XC on the aggressive side. I have a Demo 8 for a DH bike and I'm hoping this bike will allow me to push myself out on the XC trails and further progress my DH riding. May have to enter an enduro race or two with this. No mods on this bike, full stock last year's model.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajdemo76 View Post
    Finally got a FS trail bike! Just picked up a Slash 9 used by a Trek rep for a demo tour. The shop I picked it up at had two in the warehouse in a 21.5. After taking the 19.5 for a test ride this summer, I knew a size up was the way to go. Otherwise I was blown away by the way it rode.
    The shop was asking $2990 so I went today to check out the condition. Other than a few frame scuffs and foot rub wear on the crank arm graphic, it looks like new. If the tires are original, it looks like it wasn't used much. Couldn't pass up that deal when I planned on picking up something like this in the spring anyways.
    I was looking into this and a Remedy but being a DH rider/racer weighing around 205 without gear, I tend to ride XC on the aggressive side. I have a Demo 8 for a DH bike and I'm hoping this bike will allow me to push myself out on the XC trails and further progress my DH riding. May have to enter an enduro race or two with this. No mods on this bike, full stock last year's model.

Congrats. That is a killer price. The good thing about the 2012's is they come with the 36mm forks instead of the 34's on the 2013's.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast