Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Trek slash

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CMihalcheon View Post
    Trek never releases weights as they claim they vary too much to give an accurate number. Search for the weight of the scratch air, or wait till mid december and if I get a chance I will weigh my frame when it gets here.
    It really doesn't vary except with different sizes....its just a ******** reason so they don't tell you something.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carpy95 View Post
    It really doesn't vary except with different sizes....its just a ******** reason so they don't tell you something.
    Maybe Trek is worried that people might still base their purchase on the fact that frame x is 1 ounce lighter than frame y rather than actually riding the bike and feeling the difference. Based on the fact that there is no shortage of weight questions when a new bike is released, you can't help but think they are right.

C'mon Man! We're talking about an all-mountain bike... get off the weight issue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Steamer19 View Post
    Maybe Trek is worried that people might still base their purchase on the fact that frame x is 1 ounce lighter than frame y rather than actually riding the bike and feeling the difference. Based on the fact that there is no shortage of weight questions when a new bike is released, you can't help but think they are right.

C'mon Man! We're talking about an all-mountain bike... get off the weight issue.
    I know I am not a weight weanie but I like how for example Santa Cruz lists the weight for their bikes, it's nice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    My Frame (17.5) is not slated to be delivered until mid January now : ( I was hoping to have it as a Christmas present for myself. Anyone else order one?
    I ordered one last month and Trek's ordering system said January as well. Every time I check my email I have a little hope that there will be an email from the shop saying that the bike is showing up early.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    date has moved up till February. Now I just hope it gets here before the season starts next April/May.

If anyone is ordering a frame, what is your build going to be?

I am taking a Scratch Air approach, Float 160 on the front, Mavic 721 on Hope Pro 2's, 1 x 9 Saint derailleur drive train with Race Face Atlas cranks, Old Saint Calipers on new SLX Levers. For tires, I am going to try Continental Trail Kings in 2.4. Still unsure if I should do clipless or flats.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    date has moved up till February. Now I just hope it gets here before the season starts next April/May.

If anyone is ordering a frame, what is your build going to be?

I am taking a Scratch Air approach, Float 160 on the front, Mavic 721 on Hope Pro 2's, 1 x 9 Saint derailleur drive train with Race Face Atlas cranks, Old Saint Calipers on new SLX Levers. For tires, I am going to try Continental Trail Kings in 2.4. Still unsure if I should do clipless or flats.
    I ordered a Slash 7 back in October and Trek's system said January for delivery but on Monday I got an email from the shop asking if I still wanted it since they could get one by next week. I'm supposed to get it Tuesday or Wednesday. So it seems like the orders are starting to trickle out.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Quote Originally Posted by bretthall View Post
    I ordered a Slash 7 back in October and Trek's system said January for delivery but on Monday I got an email from the shop asking if I still wanted it since they could get one by next week. I'm supposed to get it Tuesday or Wednesday. So it seems like the orders are starting to trickle out.
    They are just starting to work their way into warehouses. What size are you getting and what state are you in?
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailkid View Post
    They are just starting to work their way into warehouses. What size are you getting and what state are you in?
    I got a 19.5 and am in California.

mtbr member
    Just saw a Slash 7 at my LBS this past weekend. Looked pretty sweet. They had it in the repair stand as they were just putting it together and doing the final tweaks so didn't get to lift it or sit on it. Not even sure what size it was.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Moved up to Jan 16, 2012 now. Looks good that that will be the day! Only a month to go!!
    Last edited by CMihalcheon; 12-22-2011 at 02:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My local LBS had 5 pieces of Slash 9 two weeks back and three of them have already been spoken for. Sat on 17.5" one and it feels compact.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    That's a hot bike.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Moved up to Jan 16, 2012 now. Looks good that that will be the day! Only a month to go!!
    Well there is one in Wisconsin, but IDK if your shop would be willing to pay the extra money for shipping.

74 & 29 pilot
    Someone has one and putting it to good use!

ULTRAMěNTANE Preview - Pinkbike.com

Some stokage for you waiting future owners

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I was told January 4th! After riding a Remedy 19.5 and a 21.5 I changed to a Slash 9 21.5. Size should be in-between a Remedy 19.5 and a 21.5 according to Trek and the dealer. Can't wait!

Pictures make the wait seem even longer. Great pics though!

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseWin28 View Post
    I was told January 4th! After riding a Remedy 19.5 and a 21.5 I changed to a Slash 9 21.5. Size should be in-between a Remedy 19.5 and a 21.5 according to Trek and the dealer. Can't wait!

Pictures make the wait seem even longer. Great pics though!
    How tall are you!? I wouldn't put you on a 21.5" bike like that unless you were taller than 6'6

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailkid View Post
    How tall are you!? I wouldn't put you on a 21.5" bike like that unless you were taller than 6'6
    HAHAHAHA! That's funny... 6'6, HAHA! Another new Trek owner expert.

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Sizing a bike is black magic and it all comes down to riding the the bike you plan to buy or at least something similar and see what fits.

Slash is smaller than a Remedy. A Remedy 19.5 felt cramped and a Remedy 21.5 felt nearly perfect just needed to be a little smaller. Slash 21.5 is in-between the two...perfect fit for me! Pretty much the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears!

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    HAHAHAHA! That's funny... 6'6, HAHA! Another new Trek owner expert.

MTBP
    Do you understand how big a 21.5" frame is? It's not the seat tube length I'd be concerned about, it's the top tube length.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Ive ridden a Remedy 21.5

Top tube length on a Slash 9 21.5 depending on the setting in the back is 24.7 or 23.5.

Just for comparison on your Remedy which is a larger bike by nature, the top tube length on it in a 19.5-inch size is 24 or 24.1. Love your bike by the way! Saw one at a bike store and its awesome!

Slash 21.5 is almost the same size as a 19.5 Remedy, just a little bigger. I have long legs and arms so its the perfect fit for me and what Ill use it for. I could have done a 19.5 and had more flickability but it would have felt cramped and long rides would have been uncomfortable. I love a climb and my legs love a good burn so I'm going to LOVE this bike. I finally have a bike worthy of traveling! Well almost have it...

I bought some Straitline Amp LTD pedals for it and am thinking of picking up some all mountain Carbon wheels for it but havent decided on the wheels yet.
    Last edited by JesseWin28; 12-25-2011 at 11:55 AM.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseWin28 View Post
    Ive ridden a Remedy 21.5

Top tube length on a Slash 9 21.5 depending on the setting in the back is 24.7 or 23.5.

Just for comparison on your Remedy which is a larger bike by nature, the top tube length on it in a 19.5-inch size is 24 or 24.1. Love your bike by the way! Saw one at a bike store and its awesome!

Slash 21.5 is almost the same size as a 19.5 Remedy, just a little bigger. I have long legs and arms so its the perfect fit for me and what Ill use it for. I could have done a 19.5 and had more flickability but it would have felt cramped and long rides would have been uncomfortable. I love a climb and my legs love a good burn so I'm going to LOVE this bike. I finally have a bike worthy of traveling! Well almost have it...

I bought some Straitline Amp LTD pedals for it and am thinking of picking up some all mountain Carbon wheels for it but havent decided on the wheels yet.
    My plans for the Remedy are as follows, in chronological order:

Straitline Amps
    FiveTen shoes
    Easton Haven 55mm stem
    Easton Haven (alloy) bar
    Something to quiet down the chain slap on the front derailleur, maybe something as simple as a piece of a tube.
    Eventually a RockShox Reverb stealth, but that's very far out.

mtbr member
    I've been going back and forth between a SB-66 and a Slash frameset and looks like my Trek LBS is going to give me a better deal on the Slash over the LBS that carries the SB-66. Money talks.

Either way, I've ridden the 2012 Remedy and it just blew me away and how dialed it felt. I want the bigger travel on the Slash of course.

So, I have been studying the geo charts between the Remedy and the Slash. An 18.5 Remedy fits me like a glove and clearly the Slash is smaller than the Remedy. It basically looks like an 18.5 Remedy is the same as a 19.5 Slash, according to the geo chart.

What gives with that?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Find a Scratch air 19.5 or 18.5 and take it for a ride. I gave up on dimensions and the only way is to ride it or at least some thing similair.

Im not sure on the reasons behind it but Im guessing its because a smaller bike is more nimble for jumping and other crazy stunts.

mtbr member
    I got word yesterday that a shop about 45 minutes north of me recently received in a couple Slash 8's. Don't know what size they are but I'll be heading up there to check them out in person on Tuesday.

You're right in that the only real way to know is to ride it. I like doing jumps and drops at the DH trails and then I go out the next weekend and do 30 mile XC trails. Like posted above I don't want to be cramped on those long rides.

To put it bluntly, Trek does not make sense with their sizing....

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    What size is the seatpost: 31.6?

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast