Jan 2004
    lyrik rc2dh
    xtr cranks/trail brakes
    x9 shifter / der 1x10
    i-9s vs havens
    chromag bits
    xfusion hilo post

mtbr member
    Cool, I've got somethings in mind, I think I'm pretty much decided on 1x10 and XTR shifter/derailluer with MRP chainguide, RaceFace bars and cranks. That's about it so far.

I have been comparing the Slash against the SB-66 and it looks like I may get a good enough deal on the Slash frame that I can't pass it up even though I haven't ridden a Slash yet.
    Last edited by jmountain; 12-25-2011 at 08:32 PM.

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailkid View Post
    Do you understand how big a 21.5" frame is? It's not the seat tube length I'd be concerned about, it's the top tube length.
    Yeah, I do. I ride a Remedy 21.5. If you ever look at the geo of the frames on the Trek website, you'll notice the more travel the shorter the top tube get. I'm just over 6' and having been riding 19.5 Treks since '94. Now with more slack geo for the top tubes, I ride a 21.5 frame that doesn't feel like I'm to big for as my 19.5 Fuel EX 9.7 did. The 6 footers, in my opinion, are on the line depending on their in seem.

MTBP
    Last edited by MTB Pilot; 12-27-2011 at 08:16 AM.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    It would seem for me since an 18.5 2012 Remedy is spot on in size, a 19.5 Slash is what I'll have to get as the top tube is the same length between them with really just the seat tube being longer and I suppose I could cut an inch off that if I really need. Sounds kinda crazy but I plan to put a short stem on it and I am concerned about getting a little cramped with the cockpit. I'll know more tomorrow when I get a chance to ride a Slash.

Sent from my I897 using Tapatalk
    "Let the wheels spin."

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    [QUOTE=Daniel Soh;8847484]My local LBS had 5 pieces of Slash 9 two weeks back and three of them have already been spoken for. Sat on 17.5" one and it feels compact.

too cool that bike!!! I want more pics!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    [QUOTE=marbru;8855920]
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Soh View Post
    My local LBS had 5 pieces of Slash 9 two weeks back and three of them have already been spoken for. Sat on 17.5" one and it feels compact.

too cool that bike!!! I want more pics!!!
    Was at my LBS today, they had a Slash 7, 8 and 9 (17.5") on display.

mtbr member
    Slightly off topic but since I've been comparing the geo's between bikes I've discovered errors on Trek's website, the errors are mostly on the Slash frame. Stuff where the web programmer clearly copied and pasted the wrong thing and if you switch from centimeters to inches there's a row that doesn't change.
    "Let the wheels spin."

mtbr member
    I finally got a chance to get my leg over a slash last night. It was only for a short while on pavement but enough to get a feel for it. It was an 18.5 and to me actually felt larger than the 18.5 Remedy. Likely due to the slacker front end. But cockpit wise it was perfectly fine, not cramped at all. I definitely would not got up a size, for me.

The bike felt like it has loads of suspension but still really does pedal fine. The sb-66 I had been looking at would out climb out it easily enough but doesn't feel anywhere as strong and confidence boosting as the Slash did. The Slash felt like it would take bigger hits much nicer.

That's my 10 minute review.

Sent from my I897 using Tapatalk
    "Let the wheels spin."

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I've had my Slash 7 for a couple of weeks now and it is great. Rock gardens that I used to have to carefully pick my way through on my Fuel EX I can now just plow through on the Slash with no problems. It's way more stable when the wheels are off the ground and just rails berms. I'm still getting used to how it behaves when making tight maneuvers (e.g. switchbacks) since the slack front end makes it flop differently when turning tightly. I also have to monitor the front end when climbing fire roads and buff trails since it will wander more but it actually handles technical climbs better than my Fuel EX. Overall I'm extremely happy with the bike. And because I know someone will ask the size 19.5 that I got came in at 33 pounds.

ride it like you stole it
    jrmountain and bretthall, how tall are you guys?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TWilliams42 View Post
    jrmountain and bretthall, how tall are you guys?
    I'm 6 feet tall.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11" with 32" inseam.
    "Let the wheels spin."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
    got my slash frameset last week...

Did you by chance weigh that frame??? If so, please post the size and weight; thanks!

mtbr member
    A complete Slash 9 comes in at 30lb.

2012 Trek Bikes – Actual Weights, and Photos - Bike Rumor

I only bother posting that because, honestly, isn't it what the complete bike comes out to be? I've heard people getting 28lbs with weight weenie parts and about 32lbs with burlier parts.

An idiot roadie said to me this week when I had told him the Slash 9 was 30lb, "Good luck getting that up the hill."

WHAT?!?!?!

edit: the particular roadie in question also owns a mtn bike and should have known better before making such a dumb comment, hence earning the idiot description

p.s. I ride road too but I try and think before I speak...
    Last edited by jmountain; 12-29-2011 at 09:29 AM.
    "Let the wheels spin."

mtbr member
    jmountain,

Thanks for the info. I'd still like to know the frame weight b/c if I decide to get a Slash I would get the frame and transfer most the parts off my Yeti 575. I'll probably get a carbon SB-66, but the Slash is tempting.

Knowing the frame weight I could easily figure out a complete weight with the build specs I'll use.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I understand. My personal feeling for an aluminum mtn bike weight is, if it's between 28 and 32 lbs, awesome. Anything less is a bonus (and likely carbon), anything heavier is simply heavier and reaching towards DH.
    "Let the wheels spin."

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Aluminum is fine for me. Trek will probably churn out a couple carbon Slashies for 2013; I doubt the model line is going anywhere. They seem to be quite popular.
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, the buzz this bike is getting already pretty much says Trek will continue the line and release a carbon version in the year to come. It will likely be a Slash 9.9
    "Let the wheels spin."

No longer a hardtailkid.
    They will probably do a 9.7, 9.8, and 9.9. Then the next year maybe just 9.8 and 9.9. Notice how they did away with the Remedy 9.7 for 2012?
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

mtbr member
    I have a Slash 9 frame officially ordered now
    "Let the wheels spin."

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    When should it arrive. I am going to guess April?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CMihalcheon View Post
    When should it arrive. I am going to guess April?
    Yep, Trek's Dexter site was showing April as estimated delivery. Which is fine because snowboarding will start up for me in Feb and finish about the beginning of May.
    "Let the wheels spin."

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Got the email mine will be here January 20th. Denver shop has a 19.5 in the window.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseWin28 View Post
    Got the email mine will be here January 20th. Denver shop has a 19.5 in the window.
    Cool! Are you getting a whole bike or building up a frame?
    "Let the wheels spin."

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Full bike, I ordered it back in July or August. Couple weeks ago I thought I would cancel and do the frame and then build my own but in the end I would pay more for the exact same bike with different wheels. Ill sell the wheels and put on some Industry Nines or Mavic Crossmax SX wheels and the bike is perfect. Ended up with the 21.5 and still have my reservations but not much I can do. Talked to a guy in Denver that has a 21.5 Slash 9, he owns the Trek store and he normally rides a 19.5 but the Trek rep said to get a 21.5 and he's 6'2 and the rep did the same thing and he hasn't regretted it. Hoping I don't but if I do I got an amazing price on it out the door so I could sell it very easily and order a 19.5.

mtbr member
    wow, you really ordered that awhile back!

At 6'2" I could see a 21.5 being alright. I was initially going to go with a Remedy 18.5 and decided to move up to the Slash since I want to include more DH riding and I am staying with the 18.5 sizing myself. I'm 5'11" for reference.
    Last edited by jmountain; 01-06-2012 at 03:55 PM.
    "Let the wheels spin."

mtbr member
    Well.......I've changed my mind. I more or less made a realization yesterday about what kind of riding I will be doing over the next year and more so I've changed my order to a 2011 Session 8.
    "Let the wheels spin."

mtbr member
    can someone measure the bb height? I'm hoping the measurement on the website is way off.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    So if Slash replaces the 7" Scratch, would you guys say that is smoother and able to go bigger than most 6X6's? Does it have Scratch characteristics? Nice looking ride, I'm definitely interested.

mtbr member
    bb height, anyone? anyone? por favor

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

frame weight

Quote Originally Posted by jmountain View Post
    I only bother posting that because, honestly, isn't it what the complete bike comes out to be? I've heard people getting 28lbs with weight weenie parts and about 32lbs with burlier parts.
    I would also like to know the frame weight. So if you havent started building yet... would you post the weight?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I dig that green and gold.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Here's mine, complete custom build...The bike is SOOO much fun !!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek slash-376976_10150485810232601_522332600_9205775_1123574436_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The frame weighs slightly over 8lbs including head set, rear axle and seat post collar. BB height is as posted on website.

Nice build tb, what fork did you go with? I can't decide?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by djball View Post
    The frame weighs slightly over 8lbs including head set, rear axle and seat post collar. BB height is as posted on website.

Nice build tb, what fork did you go with? I can't decide?
    Thanks bro I went for performance over weight and grabbed a 2012 36 VAN.

I had a 2011 Float and wasnt happy at all with the damper, quite finicky to service ( I rebuild my forks at least once a month ) and the adjustments on it were'nt that good.

Had a 2012 Talas before that , boy was that fork crap ! lol.SUPER sticky, loads of friction, blew thru all the travel, overall NOT a good performer.

For the weight difference I'd say go for coil....The thing is basically a Fox 40 at 6 ".Plush , works, easy to service, best fork out there right now IMO...and I tried Marzo as well as Sram offering for 2012

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tuumbaq View Post
    Thanks bro I went for performance over weight and grabbed a 2012 36 VAN.

I had a 2011 Float and wasnt happy at all with the damper, quite finicky to service ( I rebuild my forks at least once a month ) and the adjustments on it were'nt that good.

Had a 2012 Talas before that , boy was that fork crap ! lol.SUPER sticky, loads of friction, blew thru all the travel, overall NOT a good performer.

For the weight difference I'd say go for coil....The thing is basically a Fox 40 at 6 ".Plush , works, easy to service, best fork out there right now IMO...and I tried Marzo as well as Sram offering for 2012
    Thanks for that info. Yeah I was looking at Vans but wasn't sure about mixing coiler fork with air shock? You're right about 2011 Floats, I've got one and would rather not use it on teh Slash... though I did throw it on temporarily just to get the bike rolling, Trek really dialed this one in, crazy fun.

Anyway, the back end feels pretty plush and bottomless for 'air'... so maybe Van is the right call. Does your ride feel balanced?

I also thought about going 170mm, either Marz RC3 evo ti or a Float 180RC2 spaced down to 170(which would actually be the same weight as Van36)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Seeing these new build pictures is making me look that much more forward to mine coming in at the end of Feb.
    More pictures please! These things look great.
    More importantly, how are they riding, and how is the sizing compared to what you expected?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Picked up mine today

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    dudeeeee that green frame and fork... SO hard!! very jeal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    tuumbaq, that's badass! Great photo too. Is that a 1x10 setup? Please tell us about the ride!

I ordered a Slash 9 when they were first announced. However, when they were delayed I cancelled my order and got an S-Works Enduro instead. I did a fully custom build like yours. I was without bike at the time and didn't want to miss out on any more rides. I can't say I'm disappointed, but I still drool every time I look at the Slash!

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Sweet! Ride report please!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Looks great! That's an XL right? How's the ride?
    BTW, how tall are you and how's the feel of the sizing?

mtbr member
    Picking mine up this evening.

21.5" I'll try to get some images but with a baby at home it's tough.

To say I'm excited would putting it mildly. I actually haven't looked forward to getting a bike so much since probably my first mountain bike, way back in '94. Damn.

Another voice about the sizing, I'm 6'1" and went for the 21.5. I rode the 19.5 around and while it felt good it did feel cramped and wouldn't have been a fit that I would have wanted to ride all day. 21.5 has a slightly longer top tube than my Reign but a shorter stem so it should be pretty good. I think these bikes are size somewhat small for people who want to use them for more than just descending or park bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Ya, its an XL. I don't have much time on it (snow) initial impression is it fits perfect.

I'm 6'1ish.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Frame's coming tomorrow. 21.5 (XL). I'm 6'2" for reference, 34 inseam. Let the build begin.
    Last edited by speedsterR; 02-07-2012 at 10:59 PM.

ride it like you stole it
    JesseWin28-bike looks sic! Noticed that they don't have the green decals on the rims like on the website and is that fork Kashima coated? Sorry, I can't really tell from the pic. Fork stanchions look like a different color than the rear shock...Still looks like a bad monster of a bike!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Just thought I should update as I received my Slash frame two weeks ago.

Went for a more Freeride build
    Fox Float 160 Fork
    Race Face Atlas Cranks, 36T Race Face Chain Ring, MRP G2 SL guide
    Shimano Saint Rear Deraileur, 34T, SLX Shifter
    Shimano Saint 2 Piston Calipers, SLX Levers
    Hope Pro 2 Evo Hubs on Mavic 721 Rims
    Continental Trail King 2.4 Tires
    Race Face Respond Seat Post, Stem
    Shimano basic Trail SPD Pedals
    Chromag Seat
    Loaded Bars

Weight - 32 Lbs - I was shocked at the weight, I thought it would be 34 minimum

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Nice shot!
    Are you a photographer?

Quote Originally Posted by tuumbaq View Post
    Here's mine, complete custom build...The bike is SOOO much fun !!!!!
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast