Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Trek slash

mtbr member
    Would you please tell me what should I do convert my Slash's wheels to tubeless?

Stock wheels are: Bontrager Rhtym Elite wheels

I'd like to keep using my current tires which I'm using with tubes right now: Maxxis Minion DHF 2.7 and DHR 2.5
    Or should I purchase UST minions?(Which I'd like to avoid as current ones are almost new)

I've made quick search and found out if I purchase Bontrager tubeless rim stip an valves than am I good to go?
    Bontrager Rhythm Tubeless Rim Strip Symmetric 26 | Evans Cycles

Do I need additional sealant, pump or any useful tools?

Thanks
    2012 Trek Slash 9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaRaBeeN View Post
    Would you please tell me what should I do convert my Slash's wheels to tubeless?

Stock wheels are: Bontrager Rhtym Elite wheels

I'd like to keep using my current tires which I'm using with tubes right now: Maxxis Minion DHF 2.7 and DHR 2.5
    Or should I purchase UST minions?(Which I'd like to avoid as current ones are almost new)

I've made quick search and found out if I purchase Bontrager tubeless rim stip an valves than am I good to go?
    Bontrager Rhythm Tubeless Rim Strip Symmetric 26 | Evans Cycles

Do I need additional sealant, pump or any useful tools?

Thanks

You'll need to buy 2 rim strips, 2 valves, sealant, and UST tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    You'll need to buy 2 rim strips, 2 valves, sealant, and UST tires.
    +1
    You might want to add some sealant to protect from small punctures, etc. But I will say, setting the tires tubeless with the Bontrager strips, valves were so easy compared with my first time using Stan's. Not that Stan's was difficult, but the Bontrager system was super easy.

Best of luck!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    If you are running wire beads, the beads won't seal up tubeless. They are too stiff.
    However, you do not need to buy UST tires, unless you want the added weight and durability. Almost everyone is going tubeless using single wall tires. Some manufacturers void warranty doing so, others claim it's Ok. Maxxis is one of those that don't warranty non-ust tires in tubeless setup. However I've been running Maxxis tires on all my bikes inlcuding the Minioin DHF 2.5 EXO on my slash without any issues. They take a beating. I"m not doing 20ft gap jumps and huge dropoffs with them, but I do 10 ft jumps and I weigh 180lbs for reference. If I did full on DH, I'd go UST for sure. In any case tubeless is the way to go, better compliance performance and no more pinch flats. Go with those Bont Rythm plastic strips, they are cheap and far better than taping the rim or using Stans rubber strip.

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot for all valuable information. Now I'm more clear.

My Minions are dual ply wire bead, are they still good to go untill I get UST tires?
    Which Bonty sealant should I pick? TLR Tire Sealant or Super Juice Tubeless Sealant?
    How am I going to apply this sealant?Through the valve?
    2012 Trek Slash 9

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

My Minions are dual ply, are they still good to go untill I get UST tires?
    Which Bonty sealant should I pick? TLR Tire Sealant or Super Juice Tubeless Sealant?
    How will I apply this sealant?Through the valve?
    IF they are DH dual ply with steel bead, they won't work in tubeless setup. Period.
    I'd still use Stan's sealant even if you decide to go with UST tires. As for detail instructions on how to go tubeless, search this forum. There are tons of threads here with how to information and tips on setting up for tubeless. It's a learning curve, but once you figure it out, it's fairly easy. One thing you will definitely need is an an air compressor. You'll need it for the initial bead seating on new tires, which is impossible to do with a floor pump. Those UST tires are gonna add close to a pound of weight vs single wall, something you might want to consider if your climbing a lot with your bike. I've had good results with the Maxxis EXO sidewalls, and they are light enough to climb without suffering.

mtbr member
    Go with non UST! I'm running Bonty XR4 Teams with the new Slime-Pro sealant (lasts 3x longer than Stand!) Excellent setup! Not 1 flat in almost 2 years!

mtbr member

My Minions are dual ply wire bead, are they still good to go untill I get UST tires?
    How am I going to apply this sealant?Through the valve?
    They're both the same. I use Stans. I add the sealant in through the valve.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Soooo...the Talas 36 Fit RLC the demo Slash 9 that I just bought from a shop doesn't adjust in travel, just stuck on 160mm. Who knows if I'd even use the 120 if it worked. My question is, will I harm it by riding it the way it is now? I contacted Fox and they said they'd rebuild it for $125-175. I haven't contacted the shop yet. They may help me out but the bike being a demo, I'm not expecting anything. I've read about the Talas issues in other threads. Crazy I've come across this on what looks like a barely used bike. In no hurry to fix it just yet. I wouldn't mind doing it myself if it isn't to complicated. I've only worked on Boxxers in the past.
    Anyways...been dying to ride it so I took it out around the neighborhood yesterday in negative temps with the dog for a bit. At 6'2", the 21.5 is a perfect fit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Anyone know any disadvantages of using a 8.5 x 2.5 rear shock as I can't find any replacement due to the weird sizing the slash has (8.25 x 2.375)
    2012 Trek slash 8
    2008 Specialized Stumpy

Prev Bikes:
    2010 Trek scratch (gone but great bike)
    2012 Specialized Demo 8

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coicab View Post
    Anyone know any disadvantages of using a 8.5 x 2.5 rear shock as I can't find any replacement due to the weird sizing the slash has (8.25 x 2.375)
    Also wondering..
    Especially if I decide to change shock with coil one..
    2012 Trek Slash 9

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thats what im going to fit. I might just have to find a second hand one cheap and try it
    2012 Trek slash 8
    2008 Specialized Stumpy

Prev Bikes:
    2012 Specialized Demo 8

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coicab View Post
    Thats what im going to fit. I might just have to find a second hand one cheap and try it

I have no idea. Follow up with us after you make the switch.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyP View Post
    I'm 5ft 11in and thats exactly what I have done...sunline AM 50mm..

Anyone know what the weight of the wheels are on the slash 9, I have seen 1800grams quoted....is this true?

19.5 virtual or 21.5 virtual?

Best regards

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Just bought a Rockshox Vivid RC2 coil rear shock in 8.5 x 2.5 to try. Will hopefully have it fitted up by the weekend and will post a review on how it goes
    2012 Trek slash 8
    2008 Specialized Stumpy

Prev Bikes:
    2012 Specialized Demo 8

mtbr member
    Most probably you will need to compress it a little bit to get proper fit.
    Waiting for your feedback
    2012 Trek Slash 9

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Awesome, I also wait for results.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Anybody have an opinion of the 2012 vs 2013 Slash's? The 2013 has the smaller Fox 34 and is less slack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Ok, Coil shock now fitted. All I can say is wow wow wow. What a difference. A quick run down on installation. I fitted the original lower shock bushes to the new shock. I removed the top linkage bearings and replaced with 8mm ones instead of the factory 10mm. The new bearing size is 8x22x6. I went to the LBS to obtain some alloy top shock bushes but they only had 8mm x 22mm ones so I still bought them for trial fitting and added a few washers to make up the difference until the proper ones turn up.

I went for a quick ride this morning but its raining cats and dogs here in Australia atm but still did a quick 5km lap of my local area. All I can say its buttery smooth and cant tell any negative actions.

So far its cost me
    $165 for shock incl postage
    $22 for top shock bushes
    $5.75 for both bearings and bolt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek slash-imag0239.jpg  

Trek slash-imag0240.jpg  

Trek slash-imag0241.jpg  

2012 Trek slash 8
    2008 Specialized Stumpy

Prev Bikes:
    2012 Specialized Demo 8

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Woah seriously, 8.5 inch fits with no clunky bottom/top out??? I know they can the easily handle 2.5 inches of of stroke but the 8.5 fit was very close. Thanks for info, think I'm going to try a CC DB air, It's a worthy sled. Can you let us know if any problems arise?

To the persons asking about 2013 Slash geometry, I've been trying to figure it out. Someone said that geo hasn't changed, but if you compare spec's it's a much steeper seat angle, and slightly steeper head angle? So I dunno?
    Last edited by djball; 02-06-2013 at 01:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I wanted to buy a CCDB but didnt want to buy it and find it didnt fit but am 100% happy with my purchase so far and atleast I can upgrade later.
    2012 Trek slash 8
    2008 Specialized Stumpy

Prev Bikes:
    2012 Specialized Demo 8

mtbr member
    Looks brilliant!
    So you don't need to compress shock little bit to get it fit properly?

Please update more riding experience , once you ride more..
    2012 Trek Slash 9

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    About to pull the trigger on a 2013 Trek Slash 9 complete. Any thoughts/opinions on how the new CTD stuff has improved/changed the pedaling of this bike? I rode a Remedy 8 for a bit last year and truly believe that there isn't a better bike geared for DH in any category when compared to the Full Floater/ABP/DRCV setup. I thought the Remedy was amazing on the DH for it's class but not the best peddler. I'm hoping the new CTD shock has improved this aspect of the design.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That looks great. Interested in how it goes. Please post your experience.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Go with non UST! I'm running Bonty XR4 Teams with the new Slime-Pro sealant (lasts 3x longer than Stand!) Excellent setup! Not 1 flat in almost 2 years!
    I changed to TLR XR4s as the non-tubeless rear sidewalls wore thin too quickly. Great tyres for rocky trails.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast