mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Trek Remedy or Trek Slash?

I currently have a 2012 EX8 and was looking at purchasing a more all-mountain type bike. I'm looking at the Remedy and the Slash, but not sure which one would be best for me.

I live in Northern California (Bay Area) and ride all types of terrain (hardpack, loose gravel/dirt, etc.). Plenty of hills to climb before a a good descent down singletracks and/or fire roads.

Looking for something that flows well (similar to the EX8) with more travel. I'd also like to be able to ride this bike near Kirkwood/Northstar/Tahoe areas (on the easier trails).

Anyone have any suggestions? Or other brands to look at?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The Remedy would be plenty for what you describe. Slash if you are hitting freeride + expert DH trails, or are on the heavier side (> ~200lbs) where you can appreciate the added stiffness of a fox 36. On the other hand it's not like there is a huge difference between the Fuel Ex and Remedy.

cash money
    Slash!
    I work at a bike shop. Trek, Gt, fuji, DB, etc...

2012 Trek Superfly 100 al pro-sold
    Soon to be 2014 trek slash 8

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks guys!

I should add that I weight 210lbs without gear and probably closer to 215-220lbs with gear (depending on what I have in my pack).

Strader - you've got me thinking about keeping my EX8 and adding a longer bar and shorter stem. Would be cheaper than a new bike!

Please keep coming with the suggestions.

mtbr member
    Given your weight I would definitely recommend a Slash. The Slash is a very burly frame and a 36mm fork is a game changer. Heck, I'm only 165-170lbs and I won't go back to a 32mm fork unless it is for a xc race bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If you want to climb fast, but also want to descend and enjoy your whole ride = Fuel

If you want to climb, but want to bomb down the descent = Remedy

If the only reason you are out there is to destroy the descent, but need to pedal to the top, dammit = Slash.

-Tom

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    i have the remedy. i like it, but am intrigued by the gnar eating grin on the slash.

i went to the shop and lifted the slash, and walked away. im 160, the bike is about 32 pounds. i may not enjoying grinding that up hills.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    If you want to climb fast, but also want to descend and enjoy your whole ride = Fuel

If you want to climb, but want to bomb down the descent = Remedy

If the only reason you are out there is to destroy the descent, but need to pedal to the top, dammit = Slash.

-Tom

This is the best, most succinct description I've ever heard. Dead on.

I would say that if you just want a little more descending ability without losing too much on the climbs (which is what it sounds like), get the remedy. But if you really want to change the way you ride and live for the downhills, the go for the slash.

I will say that I rode the remedy and thought it was the bomb. Awesome descending and great climbing. But then I was lucky enough to try the slash, and everything I thought i knew went out the window. I didn't care how long it took me to get up the hill (which actually isn't that long) I was hooked on the downhill ability of the slash. It's insane.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I probably should have updated my decision months ago.

I purchased a 2012 Slash 9 a few months ago and also kept my EX8. The EX8 definitely climbs better and I ride it for my longer rides. The Slash, well it climbs ok, but decends like a boss. I'm very happy with my purchase and my decision to keep both bikes.

I recently had a ride with a guy I met that primarily road bikes. He had his older enduro and I had my Slash. This guys was a good climber and made it up the hill faster than me, but on the decent, he could not keep up.

The Slash has changed the way I ride with it's confidence inspiring travel and control. And that has carried over to my EX8 where I'm more confident and have better control/vision on the bike.

The only downside of the Slash are the brakes. Not very happy with the XO's and going to switch out to either Saints or XTR sometime this winter. Other than the brakes, the bike is awesome!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbs305 View Post
    I probably should have updated my decision months ago.

I purchased a 2012 Slash 9 a few months ago and also kept my EX8. The EX8 definitely climbs better and I ride it for my longer rides. The Slash, well it climbs ok, but decends like a boss. I'm very happy with my purchase and my decision to keep both bikes.

I recently had a ride with a guy I met that primarily road bikes. He had his older enduro and I had my Slash. This guys was a good climber and made it up the hill faster than me, but on the decent, he could not keep up.

The Slash has changed the way I ride with it's confidence inspiring travel and control. And that has carried over to my EX8 where I'm more confident and have better control/vision on the bike.

The only downside of the Slash are the brakes. Not very happy with the XO's and going to switch out to either Saints or XTR sometime this winter. Other than the brakes, the bike is awesome!

Good decision. Sounds like you're having a blast. Good call on the brakes to, I thought the exact same thing about the xos. They are surprisingly horrible

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Trek Slash Thread... Very informative:
    Trek slash

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Get the Slash

mtbr member
    Slash!
    I was always thinking about to buy Remedy.
    Both are do it all bikes, but if you want to do more, than Slash

I've just got my Slash 9 '12 yesterday, haven't ridden yet.
    But tomorrow will be "ride it like you stole it" day

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Glad to hear you enjoy the Slash!

My thought is to never own 2 bikes that within a step of each other:

Hardtail/XC bike 100mm or less
    120-130 Trail bike
    130-150 long travel trail bike
    150-170 AM bike
    170+ FR/DH Bike

Of course if I had all the money in the world I'd probably have one of each!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Photodog - I agree about having 2 bikes within a step of each other.

My 2012 EX8 has 120 mm which is great for my longer rides. And my 2012 Slash 9 with 120-160 mm is my AM/FR bike, that I bomb downhill on.

If I had to only have 1 bike, I would have choosen the Remedy as it's the right in between the 2 bikes I own. But I'm lucky enough to have a wife that did not put up a fight when I wanted to purchase the Slash.

And for what it's worth, I've decided to get XT brakes this winter. I should have them on the Slash by mid-december.

Carabeen - have a good time on your bike. Break in the brakes and rip up the trails!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Agreed here too. I have a 100mm SuperFly and the Remedy. I do big epic all day climbing rides, with awesome downhill, so the Remedy fits the bill. I am thinking about one of those 34mm 160 forks for the front though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    For future thread goers, I was deciding between these two about a year ago and went with a 2014 Slash 8.

I could only have one bike at the time so it was an easy choice--the slash really does it all, from 15 mile xc to lift assisted rides at n*, I've never felt held back by the slash except on some of the burlier tracks at n*.

If I could have a dh bike and trail bike though, I'd go for a remedy, maybe even a fuel. Depends on the trails I'd say though. The slash is too much bike for most places I can pedal to, so a remedy would suit me better...especially cause I'm lazy.

I love my slash, but when I get a dh bike in a year, I think I'll really be wanting a carbon remedy instead.

But with the carbon options for the slash in 2015, it really becomes a tough choice to make.

Anyone want to buy the fox 34 talas ctd that came on my slash? It's be a kick ass upgrade for anyone with a 32 mm fork and will fit 650b and 26", though with the 650b offset.