mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Trek Remedy 27.5 2014 headset issue

Has anybody else had a problem with the headset? We took it apart and found the angle is a 36 degree instead of 45 degree. and the top bearing moves around. The bottom bearing fits good. My riding buddy has the same frame and same problem. My bike has about 5 rides on it and you can see where it is rubbing the cup and moves around in cup. Now I have a creaky bike. Looking to see if Trek is doing anything about it. Basically they told my buddy that works at the LBS it is within spec. Last time I checked bearings moving around in the cup. So hopefully I did not buy a $3500 lemon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Yes, had a problem with headset but sounds quite different than your situation.

My wife's carbon 650 remedy headset kept coming loose in first couple rides, it was odd. discovered that the top cap (carbon) was getting crushed/collapsing under the pressure of the bolt-- it was visually hard to tell at first, but I swapped it for an alum top cap I had laying around, problem solved!

golfboy you might try some plumbers tape around the outside race of the bearing and see if that eliminates play or creaking.

Otherwise, call cane creek buy just the top headset bearing you think you need. those guys are super helpful. Trek and LBS aside, a $20 bearing from cane creek will be good for your piece of mind.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Well they sent another bearing same one that was in it already. Same problem the bearing still moves around a little. Hs anyone had luck with using loctite? RED or 660

mtbr member
    I haven't had an issue with my Remedy, but had this same problem on my Blur LTc. Apparently the top cap was made out of some sort of plastic. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem as you don't torque those down much. BUT, the problem was that the bearings didn't fit together perfectly, so you HAD to tighten the top cap down to keep it from moving around. After a couple rides it would loosen up, and need to be tightened down again. I a couple weeks, the plastic top cap was shot. Like rfxc, I switched to an aluminum top cap and this solved the problem.
    "Got everything you need?"

Resident Gear Head
    I am having some problems with mine creaking but the past few cleanings and regreasings have quieted the noise. It came back unusually quickly though so I will soon be inspecting for movment, wear, and play. The bike only has 400 miles on it
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    So it seems like the locktite is holding for the first ride. I used the Red to see how it would work. The grease works good for one or two rides, but squeezes out after that. Last TREk I buy.

mtbr member
    What did you figure out here? And all ACB's have a 45* outer chamfer. The inner chamfer (where it sits on the crown race or compression ring) varies between 36* and 45*. I've found it annoying to try to figure out which is spec'd on bikes as Cane Creek's website doesn't call out 45x45 vs 45x36.
    '14 Bronson C
    '12 Tallboy A (for sale)
    '13 DB Mason 29er/650b+
    '13 SC Juliana 650b'd (wife's)