mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Trek Recommendation

Here's my short story. I'm in the market for a bike. My son has a a Trek and my other son had one. Nice bikes. Never had a problem with either bike. I've been using the oldest sons while he's been away at college but now it's time to give it back.

If you had approximately $700.00 to spend on a new Trek, what would you recommend? Perfectly fine with a 26er. Obviously not FS at that price. Would like decent forks and components (duh). Riding will be mainly hard pack. I'd like something that I wouldn't have to upgrade next summer. Edit: I tried a Specialized with disc brakes and another with hydraulic disc brakes. I'm sold. I'd like those included on the bike also.

To be honest, I haven't checked Treks site yet. I'm going to make my way to the LBS tomorrow or Tuesday to see what they have but I wanted to maybe get a heads up before jumping in.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Trek Recommendation

The Mamba is a good 29er with hydraulic disks. A little more than your budget but you might find a deal.
    Road: 1990 Trek 1100
    Trail: 2013 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Called the store today and talked to a very helpful young lady. Went in and rode the Mamba. Very nice. Price, on sale was $879. I'm trying to talk myself into it but can't right now. The original price was 929.

mtbr member
    Dont think you are going to get anything other then a suntour pogo stick fork below the mamba

mtbr member
    May 2013

Trek Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post
    Dont think you are going to get anything other then a suntour pogo stick fork below the mamba
    What would you suggest given the OPs budget?
    Road: 1990 Trek 1100
    Trail: 2013 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My lbs has a 20% off sale on any new bike.
    The 14's will be out soon so watch for the 13's to go on sale.

mtbr member
    I'm not too familiar with the 26's but I still dont think you are getting anything under a grand with anything better then a suntour fork. I think the sales are the way to go. Keep an eye out for any old 12's laying around or wait till the 14's are more prevalent and the 13's start to get reduced.

I'm not tyring to say he's going to get a crappy bike for 700 bucks and I dont know everyone's interpretation of a "decent" fork. I'm just pointing out that most of the bikes under a grand (aside from a mamba) come with suntour xc series forks which most people will consider "not a decent fork." Myself included in that statement. I bought a Marlin not knowing how much I would get into the sport. I'm really into it now and looking to upgrade my fork a year later.

If the OP really wants to avoid upgrading the fork a year later if he rides it often on actual trails then my recommendation would be to keep an eye out for a good sale, go used, or up the price a little bit.

If he's just occasionally going to be knocking around some trails with his kids then maybe the suntour will be just fine for him and he has plenty of choices under 700 bucks in 26 or 29.

mtbr member
    Why does it have to be new? Plenty of great used Treks out there. Some shops take trade-ins and will sell those bikes with warrantys and they are usually tuned up and ready to go.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Spend the money on the beter trek. I have a Wahoo and the pogo stick fork flat out sucks. Hell of a lot cheeper to buy the better bike VS upgrading the lower end model. I would hunt for a used bike as well lots of options out there
    Keep access to public lands open.
    http://30daysofbikingerie.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Irongrave View Post
    I have a Wahoo and the pogo stick fork flat out sucks.
    What don't you like about it, can you give an example?

mtbr member
    The fact that its a pogo stick instead of a fork that keeps your wheel on the ground when you want it to be. If you do ride them hard over rocks and roots the seals on them will quickly go and then you start to get stiction