mtbr member

trek liquid rear schock

Hello i was wondering if you guys could help me out with the size of a trek liquid's rear shock
    thanks

Vigilante Trail Groomer
    Jul 2005
    Which year and what size frame?

mtbr member
    The frame is a large and the year i believe is 2003, when they still came with fox shocks
    by the way which new model replaced the liquid

thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

8.25" x 2" stroke...

you have your choice of Fox or Manitou 3-way air available in this "special" size. The Liquid was replaced by the Trek Remedy (with a 7.5"x I think 1.5" stroke shock).

mtbr member
    which one would you say is the best option, and why is it a special size?

thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

by far, the best shock is the Manitou 3-way IF...

you also change the rear end to the 05 version with the seatstay pivots- this is my favorite version of the Liquid.. If you want to keep the Black magic rear end, its probably better to keep the Fox shock. I say this from experience, as I have gone thru both rear ends and both shocks. Black magic stays ramp up towards end of travel, Fox shock seems rather linear ( or maybe even slightly falling rate)- not a bad combo. The Manitou ramps up as it goes thru travel- not a good combo with a rising rate suspension- it will be very difficult to get full travel from you rear end ( I could never get more than about 4" with the stock 03 rear end/ Fox shock). The 05 Liquids and the Remedys use a 7.5" shock, which is a standard size available from many shock manufacturers- I imagine Trek made the change to get away from a special size shock spec.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

manitou 3-way

According to the two bike shops I visited (both of whom called the Manitou for techs line) Manitou no longer makes any rear shock in this size. If your bike came equiped with the Fox Talas, Push Industries does not service this model. However, I am in the process of determining wether Fox does and if it can be upgraded with propedal (or a similar upgrade). I am awaiting an e-mail back from Fox. This was discussed in an earlier post about a week ago (labeled Liquid Rear Suspension (or something like this)). Fox's Brittish importer does this upgrade.

Hope this helps

Oh yea, I did find out when Manitou stopped making this size. There could very easily be some out there. If there are let me know.

Theres a voice in my head
    Feb 2006
    I think i may be the guy you are reffering to Big Mitch.

I have a 2003 Trek Liquid which i have had the fox talas (200mm i2i 50mm stroke) R rear shock played with. It has been serviced, shaft replaced (Worn) and custom valved to my spec and the frames character. It is basically propedal but with it tailored to my weight & the frame. You lose the rebound adjust as it is set up best for no rebound setting to 3 clicks.

I am loving how its changed the ride. It doesnt bob at all anymore and even though there is some loss of small bump sensitivity it only fire road where i notice this and tbh i prefer it.

Wasnt cheap to get all this done but tbh i have basically bought a brand new shock which suits me & the bike.

Not sure where you can get it done but our company i called MOJO

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Yep, I was refering to you The Littlest Hobo. Glad to year you are still chuffed.

Theres a voice in my head
    Feb 2006
    :-)

Yeah still finding it well cushty!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I'm looking at a possible used 2003 model...

So is that adjustable Fox rear shock 8.25" eye to eye or 8"? I saw two figures here in this post.

Second, say I were to find a shock that had the same eye to eye length but slightly longer stroke...maybe 2.25". From my understanding, those carbon seatstays are there to give more progression to the suspension, right? Is it safe to assume that having the rear triangle move beyond the stock 5" travel, the carbon stays will more or less explode?

edit. I just checked Go-ride.com to maybe get an idea of sizes and I saw this for one of the Manitou air shocks:

Configurations
    152 X 32 (6.0" x 1.25")
    165 X 38 (6.5" x 1.5")
    190 X 50 (7.5" x 2")
    200 X 50 (7.875" x 2")
    8.25 x 2.0 (For TREK)
    165 X 38 (Trunion Corratec)
    44mm x 110-140 (Trunion)
    320 x 63 (LRS)
    -2000 Giant DH Team
    -2003 Balfa BB7
    -2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *DH riding hiatus*
    -2011 Intense M9

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

the actual shock length is 8.25" as you just found out...

but when either the Fox or Manitou shock is installed on a Liquid with the black magic rear end, the i2i length will measure closer to 8.0" due to the "spring" in the stays- that is, the stays acutally preload the shock in its resting position. As far as using a shock with a longer stroke ( I think the only shock with a 2.25" stroke is 8.5" i2i, not 8.25"- if so this will acutally result in less travel due to the increased i2i), you would have to install the shock with no air in it, then move the suspension thru its full travel and see if anything hits anything it shouldn't- I doubt Trek would recommend it. If I were you, I would just go buy a 6" Remedy if thats what you are really looking for...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dumper
    but when either the Fox or Manitou shock is installed on a Liquid with the black magic rear end, the i2i length will measure closer to 8.0" due to the "spring" in the stays- that is, the stays acutally preload the shock in its resting position. As far as using a shock with a longer stroke ( I think the only shock with a 2.25" stroke is 8.5" i2i, not 8.25"- if so this will acutally result in less travel due to the increased i2i), you would have to install the shock with no air in it, then move the suspension thru its full travel and see if anything hits anything it shouldn't- I doubt Trek would recommend it. If I were you, I would just go buy a 6" Remedy if thats what you are really looking for...

Ah ok, thanks for the info. I"ll check into it...I know there are 8" or more like 7.875" length shocks with 2.25" stroke. Physically they'll fit. But, as the rocker links swing past where they're supposed to stop (at the point where the stock TALAS shock would bottom out), I was trying to picture how the carbon seatstays would react. At that point, you'd have roughly 5.6" travel. It's not a big deal, 5" is enough. I just thought of having different options.
    -2000 Giant DH Team
    -2003 Balfa BB7
    -2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *DH riding hiatus*
    -2011 Intense M9