mtbr member
    Jul 2003

trek liquid creak

My liquid has been creaking for a while so I took it to a shop and they relubed it. After 2-3 weeks it started up again. Is this a common problem with the liquid line? I'm not sure where the creak comes from either, any guesses? I had someone just look at the BB a while back and that wasnt the problem at all. I noticed it mostly while standing up and climbing, particularly when I pedal down hard when the left pedal reaches the bottom of the stroke. What steps should I take?

Dagenham Dave
    My Top Fuel creaked and the bike mechanic's simple solution was to adjust the rear skewer - he rotated it a little and tightened it I think.

It worked - no more creak.

mtbr member
    My 25 developed a creak which I thought was coming from up front somewhere. Then after looking closer I decided it was the rear shock. Turns out it was the seat post, which was a quick and easy fix. It's worth checking; pull it, clean it, lube it, replace it.
    I'm not broke but you can see the cracks.

Rick’s Law Of Biking...
    At least two uphills are required for every downhill.

Truth...
    I work to survive, I play to live.

Mind, Body, Spirit...,which one is keeping you from getting better?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

creak

It's not the seat post, I checked that. I think it's coming from the rear shock linkage somewhere. Has anyone had their creak come from there or other suggestions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveGT101
    It's not the seat post, I checked that. I think it's coming from the rear shock linkage somewhere. Has anyone had their creak come from there or other suggestions.
    Creaks will drive you crazy.

Pivots, derailler hangers, wheel skewere, seatposts, cassettes, pedals, BB, chainring bolts.

You have to use the process of elimination to find it. Start with the easiest things to check...then grease the heck out of them one at a time until you find the issue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

thanks

I'll check those places. I don't have any grease so I might just take it to the local bike shop. My best guess is that it's coming from the pedals though. Are those easy to grease for the ill experienced bike mechanic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    My 20 had the same creak you described. I took the rear triangle off to check the pivots and found the main pivot on the drive side had play around the bearing. I have not talked to a dealer about this yet, but if you are going to a shop you might want that looked at.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    Creaks will drive you crazy.

ain't THAT the truth !!!! Had the dreaded "seattube creak" on my Fuel.......sounded like it was coming from the bar/bar-ends area when jamming in the saddle......

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    You have to use the process of elimination to find it. Start with the easiest things to check...then grease the heck out of them one at a time until you find the issue
    Good advice......but, in all honesty, I learned it was the seattube (after much fruitless tightening/lubing) from internet resources, very likely this very forum (can't remember....am getting to be an old phart). Creaks can be very frustrating.....hope you get it figured out...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Treks have a low breaking point. You get what you pay for.

Or maybe the components just cant take the strain.

Virus
    Quote Originally Posted by KleinAttitude
    Treks have a low breaking point. You get what you pay for.

Or maybe the components just cant take the strain.

PPOR.

I want statistics of frame failures vs. the total number of sales. I think we're all pretty sick of listening to your garbage, so either put up or shut up.
    [Insert witty signature here]

more beers, lees gears.
    I had an 04 liquid 10, craked all the time. Then it got worse. the weld above the BB snaped. Clean off too. I had to walk 4 miles.

trek gave me a new frame. an 05 liquid 60. Creaks almost just as much. i think it is a liquid thing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Trek have to have a good warranty policy. With their failures.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

creak fix

Mine creaked. Couldn't figure out where it was coming from for the longest time. Was told by someone how to fix and it hasn't creaked since. Take out the seatpost. There is a collar down the tube above the BB. Pour a bunch of lube down the tube all around. Turn the bike upside down for a minute. That did it for me. Totally quiet. Had to repeat once in the past year. I love the bike. Takes lots of abuse.

Virus
    Quote Originally Posted by KleinAttitude
    Trek have to have a good warranty policy. With their failures.

Either post proof or retract your stupid comments, Klein. You constantly say there is a major issue with frame failures. I've asked multiple times for you to show me some hard statistics proving your point. However, you haven't done that. So, all you're doing is trolling the board. Why you haven't been banned is beyond me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mattKHS
    I had an 04 liquid 10, craked all the time. Then it got worse. the weld above the BB snaped. Clean off too. I had to walk 4 miles.

trek gave me a new frame. an 05 liquid 60. Creaks almost just as much. i think it is a liquid thing.
    Calm down Spaz.

Virus
    Stats, KleinAttitude. Prove your point rather than spewing verbal diahrrea. That's all I'm asking. I want sales numbers: Total number of bikes sold. I want the number of frame failures. Is that asking too much? No. I want to know from where you are basing your "enlightened" opinions.

C'mon. Show us. You seem to know everything. Show us. Or, are you just another troll?