Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8

    Trek/Gary Fisher Lifetime frame warrenty?...Not really...

    A question for Trek/Gary Fisher --- If your going to provide a lifetime warrenty on a bike frame, why does it have to be purchased from an authorized dealer? Does that make the frame stronger? or less prone to fatigue? Many of your new and old customers are buying brand new/used bikes online from sources such as Ebay and MTBR - just to name a few. Not honoring a frame warrenty based on whether or not your the original owner or if the bike was purchased from an "authorized" (overpriced) dealer is just a way to protect yourself from having to replace a defective product.

    _______________________

    FYI - I have a Gary Fisher Sugar 2 that I've exclusively used for racing and training. The aluminum portion of the rear triangle near the bottom brackey has cracked - either due to metal fatigue or a failure of their metal adhesive. When I contacted Trek I informed them I purchased the bike bike new and sealed in the manufacturers box on Ebay and I have a receipt, I was promptly told all Ebay purchases void the warrenty and the bike must be purchased from an authorized dealers store. Trek does not allow their authorized dealers to sell on Ebay. Following this brief conversation I was told to contact a local dealer and order a new rear triangle for $500.00 .
    Last edited by GeoBoz; 09-11-2005 at 08:21 PM.

  2. #2
    Warrior's Society
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    4,898
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoBoz
    A question for Trek/Gary Fisher --- If your going to provide a lifetime warrenty on a bike frame, why does it have to be purchased from an authorized dealer? Does that make the frame stronger? or less prone to fatigue? Many of your new and old customers are buying brand new/used bikes online from sources such as Ebay and MTBR - just to name a few. Not honoring a frame warrenty based on whether or not your the original owner or if the bike was purchased from an "authorized" (overpriced) dealer is just a way to protect yourself from having to replace a defective product.

    _______________________

    FYI - I have a Gary Fisher Sugar 2 that I've exclusively used for racing and training. The aluminum portion of the rear triangle near the bottom brackey has cracked - either due to metal fatigue or a failure of their metal adhesive. When I contacted Trek I informed them I purchased the bike bike new and sealed in the manufacturers box on Ebay and I have a receipt, I was promptly told all Ebay purchases void the warrenty and the bike must be purchased from an authorized dealers store. Trek does not allow their authorized dealers to sell on Ebay. Following this brief conversation I was told to contact a local dealer and order a new rear triangle for $500.00 .
    All Trek/Fisher bikes must be assembled by an authorzied dealer. Trek/Fisher dealers are not allowed to sell on their bikes on the internet, including ebay.

    If you buy a bike used......how do you know that it was not ridden inappropriately. How do you know that some kid wasn't out doing 10 drops on the Sugar 2 that you bought.

    Most warranties on any item usually does not transfer to 2nd hand buyers. Most warranties are void if not purchased through non-authorzied dealer.

    Try sending your Ipod back to apple and Tell them that you bought it off of ebay. See what they say.

    Trek/Fisher is no different than most of the other companies out there.

    My $.02
    mtnbikej

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8

    reread my comment mtnbikej

    The bike I purchased was brand new in the manufacturers box. Secondly, the bike was used for its stated purpose of xc racing. The crack in the frame is located in an area where the metal is naturally stressed and clearly wasn't caused by reckless or overly abusive actions - - - All bike manufacturers should take the type and location of damage into consideration before voiding the warrenty. - Where the bike was purchased should be irrelevant. Trek/Gary Fisher have had many metal fatigue problems and are aware of exactly where the weakest welds/joints are within all their frames, but they use their warrenty policy to protect both themseles and their authorized dealers.


    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej
    All Trek/Fisher bikes must be assembled by an authorzied dealer. Trek/Fisher dealers are not allowed to sell on their bikes on the internet, including ebay.

    If you buy a bike used......how do you know that it was not ridden inappropriately. How do you know that some kid wasn't out doing 10 drops on the Sugar 2 that you bought.

    Most warranties on any item usually does not transfer to 2nd hand buyers. Most warranties are void if not purchased through non-authorzied dealer.

    Try sending your Ipod back to apple and Tell them that you bought it off of ebay. See what they say.

    Trek/Fisher is no different than most of the other companies out there.

    My $.02
    mtnbikej
    Last edited by GeoBoz; 09-12-2005 at 05:48 AM.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    419

    I'm with mtnbikej

    Quote Originally Posted by GeoBoz
    The bike I purchased was brand new in the manufacturers box. Secondly, the bike was used for its stated purpose of xc racing. The crack in the frame is located in an area where the metal is naturally stressed and clearly wasn't caused by reckless or overly abusive actions - - - All bike manufacturers should take the type and location of damage into consideration before voiding the warrenty. - Where the bike was purchased should be irrelevant. Trek/Gary Fisher have had many metal fatigue problems and are aware of exactly where the weakest welds/joints are within all their frames, but they use their warrenty policy to protect both themseles and their authorized dealers.
    did you read Trek's warrnty before you bought the bike 2nd hand? it's on all of their catalogs and the website. their bikes are supposed to be assembled and PURCHASED only through authorized dealers. otherwise there is no way to know who sold the bike, and who assembled it. you should be glad you are getting anything at all.

  5. #5
    Recovering
    Reputation: jbogner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,483
    Hey GeoBoz- I feel for you, but there's not a single bike manufacturer out there that would honor that kind of warranty claim. As someone already said, the Trek/Fisher dealer agreement specifically prevents any authorized dealers from selling new bikes over the internet and on eBay, so while the bike you bought might have been unridden and in its original box, it's not considered by them to be "new."

    If you did buy it from a licensed Trek dealer, then you should contact them and ask them to warranty it for you. Companies the size of Trek are MUCH more likely to honor warranty requests that come through their dealers than ones that come directly from individuals.

    Also, you should understand the purpose of warranties. They're not there to give you peace of mind in riding the bike, they're only there as a sales tool. Bike companies warranty bikes because buyers want a warranty, and won't buy a bike without one (typically). But the bike companies are only concerned with the initial purchase, as they don't make anything off any subsequent second-hand purchases. The warranty helps move that bike out of the showroom and into your garage. Once it's in your garage, they don't need to help you sell it to someone else by continuing to warranty it.

    Ultimately, you made the decision to save money by buying off eBay instead of buying from an authorized dealer. The caveat to all eBay purchases is typically "don't expect a warranty." I've bought plenty of things off eBay. Some were lemons. I had to eat the cost of them, but that's the price of trying to save money by buying things used or in the gray market of eBay...

    BTW- I wonder if this frame you bought wasn't itself a warranty replacement for someone else's broken frame? In that case, do you really think Trek would stay in business by perpetually replacing frame-after-frame as it was sold down a chain of riders?

  6. #6
    occupation : Foole
    Reputation: Fuelish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,545
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoBoz
    All bike manufacturers should take the type and location of damage into consideration before voiding the warrenty. Where the bike was purchased should be irrelevant.
    HAHAHahahaha....you're funny ....
    You have a lot to learn about the world, grasshopper...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2
    Guess you should have paid retail for that frame.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8

    It's impressive how supporting you all are of Trek...

    Too bad half of you aren't smart enough to read my whole comment before responding. But anyway,... the actual reality of the "Lifetime Warrenty" is this... Trek/Gary Fisher believe their frames are so good that they will guarantee them for life - - - So when/if you have a problem it will be considered a case of misuse and not a defect in the product, hence voiding the warrenty.

    As a side note...
    Why do you think the warrenty is void if not purchased by and authorized dealer? Is it a proper assembly issue? Do any of you actually repair/build your own bikes? Most warrentys are void on all parts if the proper tork isn't used during assembly. Next time your in a bike shop ask to see their in/lb tork wrench - Good luck, because they won't have one.

  9. #9
    Warrior's Society
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    4,898
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoBoz
    - - All bike manufacturers should take the type and location of damage into consideration before voiding the warrenty. - Where the bike was purchased should be irrelevant.
    All of the big bike brands.....Trek, Giant, Specialized, Fisher don't allow thier bikes to be sold via the internet.

    I liquidator of bikes and parts on ebay. I bought a couple of Specialized bikes from a shop that was no longer a Specialized dealer. I put them on ebay and within 2 hours I had threatening emails from Specialized that new bikes are not allowed to be sold via the internet. These were bikes that were brand new but had been sitting on the floor for over a year. They wanted serial numbers, where I bought the bikes and proof of purchase. Nothing I sell, comes with any type of warranty. The buyers are aware that they are saving a bunch of money on parts and are willing to take that as a trade off for something that is not covered under warranty.

    mtnbikej

  10. #10
    Warrior's Society
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    4,898
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoBoz
    The bike I purchased was brand new in the manufacturers box. Secondly, the bike was used for its stated purpose of xc racing. The crack in the frame is located in an area where the metal is naturally stressed and clearly wasn't caused by reckless or overly abusive actions - - - All bike manufacturers should take the type and location of damage into consideration before voiding the warrenty. - Where the bike was purchased should be irrelevant. Trek/Gary Fisher have had many metal fatigue problems and are aware of exactly where the weakest welds/joints are within all their frames, but they use their warrenty policy to protect both themseles and their authorized dealers.
    I read it right. YOu bought a brand new bike in the box. You rode it as it was intended....not abused. But....how is Trek/Fisher supposed to know that. How do they know that you didn't buy it used and cracked it under inproper use. That is generally what the dealer is for. They look at the frame and when they call Trek to warranty the part, Trek will usually ask if the part looks abused or if it looks like a defect. They trust thier authorized dealers to be thier eyes on many of these type of warranty issues.

    I cracked the frame on my '04 Sugar 293. A weld on the shock mount began to tear away after about 3 months of riding. Took it back to the shop I bought it at. They called Fisher and described what was wrong. Fisher sent out a new triangle without having the old one sent back.

    It is kind of the chance you take when you buy something second hand. Yeah, you probably saved a bundle buying the bike off of ebay. But in the end, it will end up costing you more had you just gone to your LBS and bought it.


    Again, just my opinion.


    mtnbikej

  11. #11
    Warrior's Society
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    4,898
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoBoz
    As a side note...
    Why do you think the warrenty is void if not purchased by and authorized dealer? Is it a proper assembly issue? Do any of you actually repair/build your own bikes? Most warrentys are void on all parts if the proper tork isn't used during assembly. Next time your in a bike shop ask to see their in/lb tork wrench - Good luck, because they won't have one.
    Yes, I do build and repair all of my bikes, and also help out part time at my LBS.

    They want to ensure that the bike is assembled by qualified dealers.

    I looked at the warranty on Fishers website....seems pretty cut and dry to me.

    http://www.fisherbikes.com/utility/warr_copy.asp

    Gary Fisher Limited Lifetime Warranty
    All Gary Fisher bikes are sold exclusively through our network of Authorized Dealers who we entrust with professional assembly and service of your bicycle.

    Gary Fisher Bicycle Company warrants each new Gary Fisher frame, rigid fork, or original component part of the bicycle against defects in workmanship and materials:

    For the lifetime of the original owner-

    • The bicycle frame or rigid fork
    For one year-
    • Paint and decals
    • All original parts, excluding suspension forks and rear shock absorbers
    • Suspension forks and rear shock absorbers shall be covered by the stated warranty of the original manufacturer
    This warranty does not cover-
    • Normal wear and tear
    • Improper assembly
    • Improper follow-up maintenance
    • Installation of parts or accessories not originally intended for, or compatible with, the bicycle as sold
    • Damage or failure due to accident, misuse, abuse, or neglect
    • Labor charges for part replacement or changeover
    This warranty is void in its entirety by any modification of the frame, fork, or components.

    This warranty is expressly limited to the repair or replacement of a defective item and is the sole remedy of the warranty. This warranty extends from the date of purchase, applies only to the original owner, and is not transferable. Gary Fisher Bicycle Company is not responsible for incidental or consequential damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion of incidental or consequential damages, so the above exclusion may not apply to you.

    Claims under this warranty must be made through an authorized Gary Fisher dealer. Proof of purchase is required. The subject item must be registered with Gary Fisher Bicycle Company , either through on-line registration or by the receipt of a warranty registration card by Gary Fisher Bicycle Company , before a warranty claim may be processed.

  12. #12
    Warrior's Society
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    4,898
    Did you give Trek/Fisher the serial number on your bike. I am sure they would be interested in knowing which one of thier dealers is backdooring bikes on ebay. On all Trek/Fisher bikes, the serial number of the bike is also on the box so they track which bike went to which shop.

    Technically shops are not allow to sell unassembled bikes.


    mtnbikej

  13. #13
    Recovering
    Reputation: jbogner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,483
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoBoz
    Too bad half of you aren't smart enough to read my whole comment before responding.
    Not smart enough to read your whole comment? Who's the one who bought a frame without reading the warranty?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TrekFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    753
    its not just bikes. pretty much anything you buy, like consumer electronics equipment, must be purchased from a factory authorized dealer for the warranty to be valid. sorry, you lose. you can be upset with trek if it makes you feel better, but you screwed up here, not trek

  15. #15
    occupation : Foole
    Reputation: Fuelish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,545
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoBoz
    Too bad half of you aren't smart enough to read my whole comment before responding. But anyway,... the actual reality of the "Lifetime Warrenty" is this... Trek/Gary Fisher believe their frames are so good that they will guarantee them for life - - - So when/if you have a problem it will be considered a case of misuse and not a defect in the product, hence voiding the warrenty.

    .
    Too bad you're not smart enough to have browsed this forum and actually seen how many folks have had their frames replaced under warranty by Trek and Co. before you posted your comments. Trek's warranty/customer service is the best you're going to find - go read some threads in the Ellsworth forum about THEIR previous warranty process on "lifetime warranties"... I can't recall anyone claiming that their Trek frame broke and weren't warranteed (.....unless, of course, they did not buy from an authorized dealer....yeah, dude - ebay rocks bwahahahahaha...)
    Biggest complaint I've seen about Trek is folks having to wait for replacement frame/triangle to be shipped. But the parts do get replaced....for free.....well worth the "price" of buying from the dealer and not from Ebay. Just man up and admit that you screwed yourself

  16. #16
    Not a Barry supporter.
    Reputation: Crash_FLMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,822
    I feel for ya dude. Breaking a frame is always a big bummer. However, you do take a chance buying off of eBay (or mtbr classifieds). I have a 2000 Sugar that's pretty beat up from just racing. If something broke, I would hope Fisher would warranty it but I would understand of they didn't. I wouldn't be bashing them b/c I've read the warranty policy and understand it. I broke the chainstay on my Id and was lucky enough to have it warrantied by Ellsworth. I then sold the frame on eBay and the fella that bought it understood that it came as is, no warranty. And that's a dangerous game to play on an Ellsworth.

    I also replaced that frame with a Turner that I bought off of mtbr classifieds. I got a smokin' deal on it and knew that it did not come with a warranty. That's a risk I'm willing to take to save about a grand on a frame. If it breaks, it'll cost me about $700 (I think) to replace. So I knew the risk but was willing to take it. I certainly won't be bashing Turner if something happens to the frame.

    You have one of the best racing bikes around. If you're a serious racer, pny up the cash and have it fixed. Or pony up the cash and eBay it yourself. Or sell it as is on Ebay. Good luck in whichever method you choose.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoBoz
    Too bad half of you aren't smart enough to read my whole comment before responding. But anyway,... the actual reality of the "Lifetime Warrenty" is this... Trek/Gary Fisher believe their frames are so good that they will guarantee them for life - - - So when/if you have a problem it will be considered a case of misuse and not a defect in the product, hence voiding the warrenty.

    As a side note...
    Why do you think the warrenty is void if not purchased by and authorized dealer? Is it a proper assembly issue? Do any of you actually repair/build your own bikes? Most warrentys are void on all parts if the proper tork isn't used during assembly. Next time your in a bike shop ask to see their in/lb tork wrench - Good luck, because they won't have one.

    the actual reality is that trek gary fisher will guarantee the product for its fatigue life not its actual life

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoBoz

    Next time your in a bike shop ask to see their in/lb tork wrench - Good luck, because they won't have one.
    I have never worked in a shop without one, and doubt many others go without one either. Just because its not always being used doesn't mean they don't have one.

    People are smart enough to read the posts but lets look at the facts. You can find the Trek warranty policy in less than one minute browsing their site. Here is a link...http://www2.trekbikes.com/Inside_Trek/Warranty/Index.php

    If you cannot accept that you entered into a transaction and purchased a product outside of the STATED warranty policy you are SOL. End of story. You should have contacted Trek on the front side of the transaction for clarification, I am sure they'd have been happy to provide it. Not trying to glorify Trek here but you are at fault NOT them.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    127
    did you tell trek the serial # yet?

    e-mail me a picture of the crack scooterx517@gmail.com

    ill get you a new frame or rear triangle you're paying for me to ship it to you though.

  20. #20
    Are you talking to me?
    Reputation: damion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,884

    What are you offering?

    Quote Originally Posted by scooterman
    did you tell trek the serial # yet?

    e-mail me a picture of the crack scooterx517@gmail.com

    ill get you a new frame or rear triangle you're paying for me to ship it to you though.

    Are you trying to scam him? Are you a Trek dealer, or what? I am, and the gentleman is out of luck. Offering to help is nice, but not when it is not legit. There is no way for Trek (or a dealer) to tell that the frame was brand new, or that it was assembled properly.
    gfy

  21. #21
    Warrior's Society
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    4,898
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    Are you trying to scam him? Are you a Trek dealer, or what? I am, and the gentleman is out of luck. Offering to help is nice, but not when it is not legit. There is no way for Trek (or a dealer) to tell that the frame was brand new, or that it was assembled properly.
    From his other postings....sounds like he works for a Trek dealer in MA. Sounds like he is trying to tell Trek that the bike was purchased at his shop and then make up a fake reciept.

    mtnbikej

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    127
    i've never had trek ask for a receipt when i warranty a frame. They are normally very nice about it and send a new one out. Sometimes they ask for a picture they always ask for a serial #.

  23. #23
    Warrior's Society
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    4,898
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterman
    i've never had trek ask for a receipt when i warranty a frame. They are normally very nice about it and send a new one out. Sometimes they ask for a picture they always ask for a serial #.
    So what you are saying is that you are knowingly going to defraud Trek?

    Is it worth losing your dealership over? From what I have heard, Trek/Fisher is not an easy bike line to get.

    According to Trek, there are only 7 dealers in your area. Shouldn't be too hard to figure it out.

    Think about it.

    mtnbikej

  24. #24
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,686
    Just to let you know
    I bought a sugar 1 second hand the first year they came out. But, I allways serviced it through the lbs, and I would spend an extra $5 or $10 and get my accessories and parts through them also. So guess what? when my frame broke they went to bat for me and GF replaced it. Since then, they changed hands and I followed the good mechs. to a new dealer, rear triangle cracked, once again GF & the dealer came through
    thats the difference between being a good customer and being a pain in the ass
    you're whole attitude is that you're not going to spend any of your $ at some overpriced ripoff dealer. Well guess what? you get what you pay for. Trek/GF don't deal direct with the consumer, you dont deal with dealers. you picked the game quit whining and pay up

    BTW if you buy the frame through a dealer I bet it will be warrantied

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: noslogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,624

    hear, hear!

    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    being a good customer and being a pain in the ass
    I kicked a customer out once because he was complaining (huge attitude and inapropriate tone of voice) that I was about $5 higher than someone else. I yanked (not really) that $60 item out of his hand and told him to leave. In my head I imagined that I slapped him with it. Some customers are just A-holes.
    I tolerated him once before.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Crossed cables in a attitude
    By Soul-tez in forum Trek
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-14-2005, 10:33 PM
  2. What did my 88 Fat Chance sell for new?
    By mojo in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-20-2005, 02:26 PM
  3. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01-17-2005, 08:36 PM
  4. comparison of ProPedal, Float and ALPS on same frame
    By ccm in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-15-2004, 08:37 AM
  5. Titus vs. Leviathan vs Fisher
    By rossixc in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 06:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •