Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trek Fuel EX8

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Trek Fuel EX8

What do you guys think of this bike? Pros/cons? Trek wasn't really in the picture for me, but I have a chance for a good deal on a 2012. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    It has 2 wheels and you pedal it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I loved my Fuel EX8 before I decided to go 29er. The Fuel still had one of the best working rear suspensions I've ever ridden.

mtbr member
    I have 2012 EX8 and love it. If the price is right, go for it. Are there certain issues that you are concerned with?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i love mine. after finally upgrading to 142x12mm rear end i love it even more.
    12 Trek Fuel EX8
    09 Gary Fisher Piranha

Andrew
    Definitely a nice bike if you want a 26. That's the only reason I got a superly instead.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have a 2011 EX8. Parts group is solid. The bike looses ground to a 29er on flats and some rooted sections. Climbs well and decends well. When the trail gets twisty it also shines. I have had no issues with wheels being weak or other parts breaking (I weigh about 170 with gear). I will tell you that I plan on a demo at the southeast convention in Atlanta on the new Stache 8, and Superfly AL 100 elite and Superfly AL elite. Most everyone I ride with is on a XC 29er. At this point I like the bike but still want to experiece the other wheel size.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

TXTony
    I have a 2011 Ex8..one of the best FS bikes I have owned..recently purchased a 29er to finally give it a try..have not rode the EX8 much at all since...but it is a solid bike!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TXTony View Post
    I have a 2011 Ex8..one of the best FS bikes I have owned..recently purchased a 29er to finally give it a try..have not rode the EX8 much at all since...but it is a solid bike!
    Subaru and EX8 owner like me?

What 29er did you get?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Here is what 159 riders think about the EX8

Trek Fuel EX 8 All Mountain Full Suspension Reviews

Mo.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have the 2012 EX8 and love this bike. I tested several bikes, including 29ers and the EX8 just fit me well. Not that I do not like 29ers, I just felt more comfortable on the EX8. I use the EX8 for longer rides, regardless of how technical (single track) it can get because this bike can handle a lot.

I also have a Slash 9 for more of a downhill experience, but I still ride the EX8 frequently.

But test ride it and others to make your opinion. If you choose it, it's a great bike. If not, I'm sure your other choices works the best for you and your riding style.

Best of luck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hi I have one 2013 and love it.
    I want to put a direct mount rear derailleur.
    Do you know if Trek has this?
    I want 12mm+direct mount hanger for my 2013 EX8.
    thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Antikid View Post
    i love mine. after finally upgrading to 142x12mm rear end i love it even more.
    Hi do you have to change rear hub or the one that comes can be used or upgraded to 12mm?

mtbr member
    yes. if you dont have the ABP 12mm convert kit, it is around $120 retail. $40 for the fitting, spacer and bearings, $80 for the axle. Axle reads 190somthing by 12. Your hubs have to be able to accept the 12mm axle as well. It is a great upgrade. it reallys stiffens the rear of the big up.

awesome bike, I really love mine. it is as close to a do all bike as I have ridden

Last edited by rcko; 01-14-2013 at 08:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My 2011 EX8 has ABP but I dont think my shimano M525 hubs will accept a 12mm axle.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have a 12' EX 7, basically the same bike. I upgraded the wheels, seatpost, seat, stem, bars. I love it. It is solid/stiff, handles the rough very well. My last bike was an intense spider, great bike, but was looking for a little more travel. I'm very happy with it!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodninja View Post
    What do you guys think of this bike? Pros/cons? Trek wasn't really in the picture for me, but I have a chance for a good deal on a 2012. Thanks.
    I have a 2012 Fuel 8... Friggin LOVE IT

When you get it... Set it up on tubeless, get a wider set of handlebars and a dropper post

Too bad you aren't in NorCal... I'd sell you mine

mtbr member
    Anybody 6'-3" riding a large 19.5" frame?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Im 5'9" and I ride a 2012 19.5"...love it

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have only recently bought a Trek Fuel EX8 2012 model (new but a awesome deal) I have not been on a bike for a while but wow I love it !

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hey guys I'm interested in this and the Remedy, both in either the 7/8 versions. My question is, would either of these be a good bike for a Clydesdale (6'5" - 350 lb'er)? Any feedback would be great, thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokinBroccoli View Post
    Hey guys I'm interested in this and the Remedy, both in either the 7/8 versions. My question is, would either of these be a good bike for a Clydesdale (6'5" - 350 lb'er)? Any feedback would be great, thanks.
    That may be a question for Trek themselves.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokinBroccoli View Post
    i was under the impression that trek bikes have a 300lb weight limit...

yep right here:
    Max rider weight of 300lbs:
    All other bikes, including hybrids, urban, commuter, fitness, Ride+ electric assist, cyclocross, and all mountain bikes.

from here towards the bottom:
    Trek Bicycle
    12 Trek Fuel EX8
    09 Gary Fisher Piranha

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Re: Trek Fuel EX8

Quote Originally Posted by Antikid View Post
    i was under the impression that trek bikes have a 300lb weight limit...
    Yeah that's what I just found out about the Stache 8. But the guys at my LBS threw me on a 19.5 EX 7 last week and I didn't kill it. Just realized I need the 21.5 frame and I figured the 8 would be the better buy, since the 9 is in the 4k bracket. I'm coming to realize I need a HT til I can lose a small child weight wise, haha. Then I can dream about FS Trail/AM bikes again

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Eatin' aint Cheatin'
    For the money there is no better do it all bike. I love mine.
    2011 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2010 Cannondale F4

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast