mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Trek Fuel EX7 vs. Fisher Cake 2?

Looking for advice. This is the year I go from my 21" Giant Iguana hardtail to a fs. I've been looking at the the Cannondale Rush 800, Giant Trance 3 $1700, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR $1850, Kona King Kikapu $1899, Trek Fuel EX7 $1500 and the Gary Fisher Cake 2 $1599.
    As you can tell by the bikes that I am looking at I am a XC rider and I like to climb and do a race or 2 every year.
    With a $1500 budget I have narrowed done my choices to the Cake 2 and the Fuel EX7. I am leaning toward the Fuel as the price and specs seem to be the better value.
    I am 6' 4" 210lbs so I plan on ordering the XL.The problem is that none of the lbs stock these larger frames so test riding is a bit of a problem.
    The only bike I was able to test ride in my size was the Specialized Stumpjumper and it fit great. But the price exceeds my budget and the reviews say that it has some clearance issues.
    The lbs has an unassembled Fuel EX6 in a large frame that I plan on test riding when assembled just to get a feel for the suspension. The reviews on the Rock Shox MC3 rear shock have said that it has a problem holding air.
    Has anyone had a problem with this shock?
    Which bike would you recommend?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hi,
    the main difference between the two bikes is in the geometry. Therefore, I strongly recommend you test ride both bikes and take the one that fits you better.

I havent had any experience with with the MC3 shock but I know the performance of the maitou swnigers in my cake and I can tell you that it is a perfect fit. With the right setting, it is definitely one of the best and most effective rear suspensions I know out there.

Regards,
    OTF

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    woah cake 2 for 1600? Thats a good deal. my LBS is selling the cake2dlx for $2100.
    06' Gary Fisher Cake 2dlx with Azonic MTN X Pedals
    06' Giant Reign 2 with Wellgo MG-1 Pedals

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I ride a mc3 on my top fuel and i havent experienced any problems with it. But then again, i weigh 160 lbs. The genesis geometry on the cake is going to have a longer top tube than the fuel so youll be laid out a little bit more. If you've never ridden a fisher with genesis then i suggest you test ride one.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by liftmys10
    woah cake 2 for 1600? Thats a good deal. my LBS is selling the cake2dlx for $2100.
    Its a big difference between Cake 2 and Cake 2 DLX in term of components used: wheelset, crank, fork, etc.

The prices in Fishers website are given with $1760 for Cake 2 and $2150 for the Cake 2 DLX.

Cheers,
    OTF

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Thanks

Hopefully I can test ride them this weekend. The best I can hope for is to test ride the size L frames to get some kind of feel for it. Like I said, they don't have any XLs in stock.
    In regard to the prices, there are a couple of rec shows going on this month and the prices are very attractive. The Fuel EX7 has a MSRP of $1849 and I can get it for $1500.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFly
    Its a big difference between Cake 2 and Cake 2 DLX in term of components used: wheelset, crank, fork, etc.

The prices in Fishers website are given with $1760 for Cake 2 and $2150 for the Cake 2 DLX.

Cheers,
    OTF
    ooh i see. I wasnt aware of that. I should check to see how many different models they make.
    06' Gary Fisher Cake 2dlx with Azonic MTN X Pedals
    06' Giant Reign 2 with Wellgo MG-1 Pedals