Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Trek Fuel EX sizing

I'm looking to buy a Fuel EX8 and torn between 17.5inch and 18.5inch frames.
    I'm 5ft11. Anyone got any advice? What sizes other people got.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm 5'10 and the 18.5 fits perfectly. The 17.5 felt too small.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hdo_1975
    I'm 5'10 and the 18.5 fits perfectly. The 17.5 felt too small.

I'm 5'10" and 17.5 was perfect. I have long legs but less torso and arm. The 18.5 did feel longer but not in a positive way for my favorite riding because the bike doesn't have a lot of travel, has racer-type tires and not so wide rims. That's not a criticism of the bike though because it rode fast and Trek has the Roscoe and Remedy lines. I'd rather take the longer feel in a more slack bike or longer fork if that makes any sense.

I'd suggest a demo rental if possible and extended parking lot testing if that's not an option. It's a really nice improvement to the what I think are about 5-6 years of Fuel and Liquid models I've tried. Don't forget the new Roscoe if you want a Trek brand and a bike less racer oriented. I saw it at a recent Trek visit but got to ride a Remedy 9 instead.

Trek and my other local company Pacific have really improved their products for riding on dirt! You can't go wrong with all they have, just have fun and a hard time choosing what to get!

Enjoy!

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    I rented a 19.5 over the weekend and it felt just right... I'm 5'11.5". The 17.5 felt wayyyy too small. Maybe the 18.5 would be ok too, but they didn't have any, so I don't know about that size. However, while riding the 19.5 for over 50 miles this weekend, at no time ever did I feel like I needed a smaller frame.

EDIT: I rented the old design, not the newest with the floating shock... so if the geometry changed things could be different.
    I read that on the internet.

a.k.a. BicycleKicks

18.5 for you, maybe even the 19.5

oops
    I read that on the internet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

I'm 5' 9" and ride a.....

17.5" 08 EX8. It's a perfect fit. I think the 18.5" (or 19.5") would probably be a better fit for you. The only way you'll really know is by throwing a leg over.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks people. I'll make sure LBS has both sizes for me to try

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm 5'9" (32.5" inseam) and was torn between the 17.5/18.5. Always thought the 17.5 was slightly small and went with the 18.5 - couldn't be happier!

Ride Everything
    I'm 5'11", and ride the 19.5" size. Aside from the too-short headtube, it fits me (with a short, tall stem).
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    I am 5 11 coming from a broken Liquid 17.5. I brought the bike in half and they gave me a Fuel EX 9 or Remedy. I tend to ride very steep and rough terrain but I chose the Fuel due to wait times and desire for less overlap in bikes when I get a bigger bike....not wanting to buy a new fork was part of it. I went for the 18.5. It felt right. I didnt get to try a 17.5. I thought that while I like smaller bikes...this bike would be used for more trail and xc so that would help. If I was going to do mostly AM and light FR, then i would get a different bike but probably consider the 17.5 more. But with all the different preferences in here, it is clear you need to try for yourself. Let us know what you do. I will be posting back on my thoughts after my first rides in the next week or two.

mtbr member
    I'm 6 foot even, and I just picked up a 19.5.

The Trek shop said it was the right size for me, as did the Trek website.

At 5'11, I would say 18.5 or even 19.5. 17.5 would be too small for you.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm 5'11" and I just walked out of the LBS with a 19.5 about an hour ago. Fit me good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I think it all depends on the rider's body frame; I'm 5' 11" and I'm riding a 17.5 and it feels just right. It tried the 18, and it just didn't feel 'right'.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by edgonz
    I think it all depends on the rider's body frame; I'm 5' 11" and I'm riding a 17.5 and it feels just right. It tried the 18, and it just didn't feel 'right'.
    Right on. It definitely depends on the individual's body frame.

If your LBS doesn't have the bike in stock that you want, go out to Trek's website and find a bike with similar geometry that your Trek LBS might have in stock and ride it. It's about the only way to "be sure" before you buy/order if they don't have the bike you want in stock.

Trek's Webpage is pretty good - listing geometry in inches or centimeters, and you might be surprsed how many of their different bikes share some of the same basic geometry. Good luck!
    Last edited by RC51_Texas; 09-01-2008 at 06:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm 6'0" (actually 5' 11.75") (Pants inseam is 32") and I ended up with the 18.5. I was sitting on the top tube of the 19.5 and the top tube was too short on the 17.5. The 18.5 fits me well. I'm not as layed out as my 1992 Alpinestars but it's very comfortable. The LBS had all of them and conventional wisdom (from the charts) put me on the 19.5. When I actually tried it on they said definitely 18.5.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm in a similar boat. I'm 5'9" but have a 29.5 inseam and a long torso (sitting down I'm about eye-to-eye with people 6'). I just bought the EX9 yesterday. One LBS had the 17.5 and they said I looked a little big on it. so I went with an 18.5 and it felt great in the store and nearby street test ride (alas, no mtb demo). I'm trying to get away from an XC feel with this bike and want an upright feel but after an hour's ride locally (and with a 15 degree 100mm stem) I wonder if it's too stretched out. The pedals and placement feel perfect but my hands had me questioning the move. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Hardcore, in my own way.
    Jun 2008
    5'11", 155lbs here and went with a 18.5. After fiddling with the seat position it fits great. The 19.5 made me feel like I was reaching too much. I do have to crank the seat post up pretty high on the 18.5 but I have never had a problem with it since it is only for the uphills. Good luck - I am sure you will enjoy the bike!
    "You have the talent, To make me feel like dirt."

2008 Trek Fuel EX8

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Thanks,

Much appreciated. Yeah, the 19.5 would be a huge stretch. I think I'm going to put an 80mm riser stem on the 18.5 or a riser bar to kick the grips back and up a bit. I know the bike fits great in the 18.5. My hands are just super sensitive from too much hard riding and racing when I was younger (and lighter!!!).

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    What about a shorter person like me? I'm actually looking at a 2011 Fuel EX 5 in the 17.5 inch. I'm only 5'5".......will I be able to handle it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by y2kdad View Post
    I'm actually looking at a 2011 Fuel EX 5 in the 17.5 inch. I'm only 5'5".......will I be able to handle it?
    If the geometry is pretty much the same... yes, maybe.

But it is also a matter of personal preferences... some of us like more longer frames , some shorter.Yyou will not be sure until you try

I'm 5' 8" (174cm) and after looking at FuelEx geometry me and my LBS decided to order me a 18.5 inch (Fuel Ex 4). But he has not arrived yet

I've have been riding on Trek 3900D (2011) 18inch two years and it has 565mm ETT. And a 100mm long stem. A little too short for me, always wanted a longer frame.

And i think 605mm ETT of 18.5in Fuel Ex fits me perfectly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Finally tried the Fuel EX 5

Well, I finally got to my LBS and tried out the 2011 Fuel EX 5. I felt very comfortable. However the seat tube will need to be cut. My arms didn't completely "lock" when extended, which was a good thing. Going to go back for a test ride tomorrow. The LBS owner said my 29" inseam didn't look like it was going to be a significant issue and said that we could always get a smaller stem, if needed. Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by bikephoto_ua View Post
    If the geometry is pretty much the same... yes, maybe.

But it is also a matter of personal preferences... some of us like more longer frames , some shorter.Yyou will not be sure until you try

I'm 5' 8" (174cm) and after looking at FuelEx geometry me and my LBS decided to order me a 18.5 inch (Fuel Ex 4). But he has not arrived yet

I've have been riding on Trek 3900D (2011) 18inch two years and it has 565mm ETT. And a 100mm long stem. A little too short for me, always wanted a longer frame.

And i think 605mm ETT of 18.5in Fuel Ex fits me perfectly.

Resident Curmudgeon
    you really have to ride it to know. I'm 6' and stocky with a 32" inseam and an ape index of +6 (arm span is 6" longer than my height) and I have a really long torso. I was cramped on the 19.5 and the 20.5 fits me perfectly.
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Well, I picked up the bike a week yesterday and am going to take it out this weekend. It feels great, very comfortable. I will let you all know how it goes.

I do have a question however. The owner of the LBS said that I got a great "starting point" in full suspension bikes (2011 Fuel EX 5). They said the frame is the same all the way up to the ex 9. Can someone tell me what that means exactly? Does it mean that when I'm ready to upgrade, I don't have to purchase a whole new bike? All I need to do is purchase the components that will bring the ex 5 up to an ex 9?

Thanks for all your input!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by y2kdad View Post
    Does it mean that when I'm ready to upgrade, I don't have to purchase a whole new bike? All I need to do is purchase the components that will bring the ex 5 up to an ex 9?

Thanks for all your input!!
    Surely! I have purchased a Fuel Ex 4 (2013), but the components already have been changed. Now there is a RS Revelation with u-turn option (100-130mm) and X7-X9 derailers and shifters from my old bike. Now waiting for M785 Trail Wide Platform pedals

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm 5'11" and have just bought a fuel EX8 in size 18", I ordered it based on what other people told me and now i wish I'd got the 19".

the moral of the story is.....

Try before you buy and what is right for other people isn't necessarily right for you, even if they're the same height.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast