mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Trek Fuel Ex 9.9 Crank Installation Difficult

Hi Guys, I'm wondering if anyone has had this issue. I tried to install a 'new' crank (FSA K Force Light BB90) and it was so difficult to install into the bearings in the frame (MR 2437 Enduros). I ended up taking it to the LBS and they hammered it in and it works, but I'm not comfortable with the need to hammer it to get it installed.

The LBS said it was common to need to do that but the one that I removed, XTR M970 could easily be removed and re installed without a hammer.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a better way to install and remove it than using a hammer? I want to adjust the spacers and I don't want to have to take it to a bike shop to get it removed and re installed. Is there a newer two chain ring crank that would work better for someone who is uncomfortable using a hammer on the frame?

Thanks,
    Chris

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    They probably just used a rubber mallet or dead blow hammer (like a plastic incased hammer) some press fit bearing fit tighter than others on crank shafts. If u plan on sticking with the fsa crank just make sure to grease it up good. I have enduro bottom bracket on my trek rumblefish aswelll and its tight too. Just go to harbor freight and get a dead blow hammer only 11 bucks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks, good to know others have the same issue.