mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Trek Fuel Ex 9.5 info wanted

Hi;

I'm looking at a used (2008) Trek Fuel Ex 9.5. Can any of you guys comment on the pros and/or cons of that model and year? Are there any other Trek models that I should be looking at instead that would be in the approximate same price range? Any comments would be appreciated!

Reb

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have one, like it a lot. The only thing that butters me is the ocasional noise it makes on the rear wheel, wich only stops when I clean the wheel blockage. If I where to buy another bike today, I would buy the EX 9. Less money for almost the same componentry and no worries about a carbon frame. I got to the conclusion that carbon don't worth the price.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    i have an ex 8. i work in a trek shop and i wouldnt buy the 9.5. its just not that much better imo. i really like the new carbon ex models though. with a full custom9.5 $8500 build the bike only weighed 1 pound less than my stock ex8. and no expense was spared, ie carbon everyhting with awesome wheels.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I love mine! I haven't ridden the all-aluminum one (EX 9?), but the carbon is just terrific...excellent weight, excellent ride. Aluminum offers zero vibration damping.

The only real con I can think of now is limited rear tire clearance. 2.3" tires on the rear is going to seriously be pushing it....depending on the rim/tire combo, a 2.3" tire may rub the inside of the rear triangle.

The ABP and full float suspension design features really are all that.