mtbr member
    Jun 2007

New question here. Trek Fuel EX 9.0 Test Drive

I am currently trying to decide between the Fuel EX 8 and Fuel EX 9.0. But I seem to be having a problem even finding a store that has one in stock. I know I have not tried every store in Houston, TX, but it seems odd that it is this difficult. I had one lined up, but it sold before I got there. Are they really that good? Or just so expensive, no-one wants to carry them.

Also, when do the 08's come out? Some car dealers are already advertising '08 models. That seems crazy to me. But I am trying to figure out if there are still some '07s available.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I went for the 9. The upgraded components were easily worth the minimal cash outlay over the 8. I got the 9 for 2500.00 OTD. It ended up being only 500 extra. Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Don't mix up EX 9 and EX 9.0.
    EX 9.0 has a carbon frame and better components than EX 9.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Just wondering if I can tell the difference.

Given that a major part of the price difference between the 8 and 9.0 is the Carbon frame, I would like to take them both for a test ride. I don't race, so it is not a matter of ROI. It is a matter of feel. I am sure that I will like better components also, but the question is the added cost worth it. I figure if the bike feels significantly better, then it is worth it. If I can't tell then I will trust that at that level, the lesser components are god enough.

mtbr member
    I went with the EX8 over the EX9 and just had some of the obvious should be ugprades on the 8 swapped out for free by the LBS as part of the deal. I think the 8 looks better, and the frame is the same as the 9, as well the Float fork is known to be plusher than the Talas, and is actually also slightly lighter. I did not see the need to spend much more $ ont the 9... I love my EX8.
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have a 2006 Ex 9.5 (carbon) XT / XTR components. The ride is a beast but the carbon frame scratches very easily, BUT the more scrahes the better right? this is not a girly man sport!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I Had the very tough choice of choosing between last years 9.5 or this years 9.0. I have been riding for a long time and am only 28 about 160lbs. I do not know what your current riding stature. I worked full time at a bike shop for four years in the early 90's and got hooked on to the what was then new, oclv carbon fiber. Of course I got dealer pricing, and that made it all the while worth more.

Here are manys reason I chose the 9.0.

The comparison is based on the fact that on the internet you can find last years 9.5 for about 2900. A new 9.0 retails at 4399 and up. I broke my ten year old carbon frame, a Trek y-33 with lots of upgrades and Trek gave me a credit for the frame or the choice of a new front triangle...for free! This meant I could either keep my old bike or spend between 2450 and 3951. Crazy numbers but in my head I figure lifetime warranty and amortised over 10 years of riding. 30 bucks a month. I got the 9.0 for 3500 an a set of 2007 xtr pedals for 120 out the door. This was in March when they were not even heavily or readily available.

The 9.0 is the latest lightest trek oclv tecknology at that price point and travel point.
    It is more expensive than the 9.5 last year.

9.5 was basically best of the consumer line last year.

9.0 outperforms it even though it is not the top the chain this year.
    Better carbon and a STIFFER rear triangle. This bike is very light and fast. I unfortunately do not own a bathroom scale and have not weighed it. Priorities! You can only go so light at this price and travel point. Your aluminum frame will be marginaly heavier. I have not personally seen many oclv total blowout failures due to normal riding so I would say the 9.0 is just as durable as the aluminum even in the many times per week riding sceario. The line of components on the 9.0 are much better than the 8. The 8 will probably weigh 20% more. 4.5lbs at least and 5.5 at most! This may not matter to you as I beleive the rider's weight and strength dertermine the need for a certain weight of bike. The components will not be as durable and will not remain as accurate as those on the 9.0. Yes, I know there are some crossover parts or very similar performing parts, but large manufactures like trek can make every bike in higher pricepoint in its line that much better than those below it due to economies of scale and the only marginaly more expensive parts as you work your way up the conponent lines. Your basically taking three steps from an 8 to a 9.0. Are three steps worth 1500 dollars or more? Yes, in an 8 step program!

The largest question is do you need it. NO! Do you want it. Yes, and if you like I, would not be happy with anything else but the 9.0, get it if you can afford it.

Its lighter, faster, stronger and if you dont think so, break it, its got a lifetime warranty!

Hows that for a first post?!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by baltistyle
    The 9.0 is the latest lightest trek OCLV technology at that price point and travel point.
    It is more expensive than the 9.5 last year.

9.5 was basically best of the consumer line last year.

9.0 outperforms it even though it is not the top the chain this year.
    Hey, if I remember what I have read the 9.0 is the same frame as the higher end 9.5 and the main triangle is pretty much the same as last years I think. With some rework of bearings and they now run 110 carbon in all of their Top Fuel and Fuel Ex carbon bikes instead of some models with 120 as before at least that is what my local rep told me, no difference in race/consumer lines. (just like with LA) Also, I think last year is when they went to a madone like one piece head/top tube and redesigned front triangle. This year ex 9.0/9.5 got 4.6 Travel upgrade with Faux Horst Link added in addition to a alum rear triangle at @ 200 grams lighter and asymmetric chain stays, fixes to issues with main pivot bearing, etc. Next year is debut of anti-brake jack pivot or whatever they and Dw want to argue about calling it. (about 5.6-8 lb medium frame)
    Really is a sweet bike even if the suspension tech is still a bit dated, and tends to ramp-up rear suspension unless you high volume sleave and "push" rear shock. Also, few do lifetime warranty anymore. Trek helped me with that many times. Sorry, for hackneyed post in a hurry. Just tryinnn to give some insight.
    Last edited by glovemtb; 07-10-2007 at 11:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Actually

Hey,

I was just trying to give some insight. The frames are not the same this year as they were last year. The bearings are sealed, the rear pivot is wider, and as you mentioned the rear triangle is stiffer and lighter, so actually they are not the same. Also 110 OCLV is used in the consumer line as opposed to only the Top Fuel line. Its not like this matters anyway because this person is looking at 2 -2007 models so the bearings and rear triangle will be the same. I really love this bike and the lifetime warranty is really a great incentive to buy theeir product. They replaced my barely cracked (read creaking) 10 year old OCLV frame for free (although I took a credit). This bike was purchased when trek said they would only warranty OCLV for five years. Now its back to lifetime after they see their products stand up to the abuse. Try and get a test ride on both bikes. Sometimes trek will have these bikes available at a local level to try. Remember they are trying to sell these 4000 $ + bikes. they might bend over for you in the end! Good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I dunno if I would'nt wait for this baby. The 2008 redesign.
    http://www.bcbikerace.com/assets/images/ph_FuelEX9.jpg
    Trek spam below.
    Suspend conventional thought. After you ride the all-new Fuel EX, you’ll never think of full suspension the same way again. Using Trek’s patent-pending technologies Active Braking Pivot (ABP) and Full Floater, the Fuel EX is the most versatile bike around. Combine these new technologies with a one-piece EVO Link Rocker Link and you have the foundation of Trek’s R1i suspension platform. More control, better braking, less skidding, unmatched abilities.
    Cyclingnews and Velonews have reviews as well as....'08 Fuel EX 9.5 test ride
    Last edited by glovemtb; 07-10-2007 at 11:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Confused at least

Here's the deal: I saw the EX 9.0 at Bikemart for 2500, of course it is a 2007 model, from what I have read at Mountain Bike Action Magazine, the 2008 models will start shipping in August, but then the price should be in the 4,000 dollars range. I am just wondering if I should go tomorrow there and get this baby at 2,500 dollars or wait until next month, but then I keep wondering if the price difference between the two would be to difficult to justify. Do you guys have any recommendations?