Well Biked
    Jun 2005

New question here. Trek Fuel EX 5 question

I just bought my wife this bike (07 WSD) and went on out first ride today. The shop had set up the bike for her weight, but riding behind her I could hardly see the rear shock moving. I took out air until it seemed a bit more active. She is only 108 lbs, so she doesn't have a lot of weight to get the shock moving.

My question is, is it just that the Rock Shox bar 1.1 is a bad, sticky shock? Does it need to break in? Or does the Fuel not have a very plush suspension feel?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I have an EX8 and the "suggested" PSI in the owners manual was way to high for me (160lbs).

Set the sag yourself (I set my rear sag at 25%):
    Push the O-Ring to the top. If you don't have an O-Ring on there use a garbage bag tie or a zip tie,

Have her sit on the bike in riding gear and assume riding position. Have her get on from step stool or ladder so as not to compress the shock during the mounting.

Measure the displacement.

Add or Remove air until the displacement is 25% or whatever your personal preference is.

mtbr member
    I have an EX8 and the "suggested" PSI in the owners manual was way to high for me (160lbs).

Set the sag yourself (I set my rear sag at 25%):
    Push the O-Ring to the top. If you don't have an O-Ring on there use a garbage bag tie or a zip tie,

Have her sit on the bike in riding gear and assume riding position. Have her get on from step stool or ladder so as not to compress the shock during the mounting.

Measure the displacement.

Add or Remove air until the displacement is 25% or whatever your personal preference is.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Rockshox historically have shocks that are initially sticky, but loosen up over time. However, it sounds like the air pressure is too high. Consult RS about pressure. Personally, I like 15% sag.

According to RS website, the Bar should be pressurized to the rider's weight. So if the rider weighs 108lbs, the PSI in the chamber should be 108. The manual also mentions that the pressure should never be lower than 100psi.

Put 110psi in there. That should do it. Check that the shock moves 15%-25% when your wife sits naturally on the bike. Or whatever sag she wants.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for the answers. I took air out and it seemed to help. Hopefully some of the stickyness will go away.