mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Trek Fuel Evo link problem!

Hi everyone. While I was cleaning my 2013 Fuel I noticed that the one side of the Evo Link was rubbing against the rear triangle while the other was OK. The problem is similar to this old thread 08 Fuel EX 9.0 Evo link PROBLEM!!!!

Do you have similar issues? Could you please check?

Trek Fuel Evo link problem!-20131215_145225-1.jpg
    Trek Fuel Evo link problem!-20131215_150335-1.jpg
    Trek Fuel Evo link problem!-20131215_150327-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi again. Since I plan to contact Trek any additional feedback wil be really appreciated. So if you don't have this problem please just say that you are OK. If however you have a similar problem it would be great if you could post a photo.

Thank you.

MTB B'dos
    Not familiar with these and the black on black makes it hard to see properly, but I'll throw out some suggestions, but definitely a good plan to take it back to the shop you got it from if you have concerns....

Have you actually removed the bolts and checked that it is actually rubbing and not just close and looks like it is?

If you haven't removed the bolts then do so and check that the proper hardware is installed and both sides.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I have already sent the photos to my LBS to forward them to Trek and tomorrow I will also bring the actual bicycle to them. Personally I will not do anything on my own that will give them any excuse to void the warranty.

The problem is identical to the one described also here 2008 Fuel EX9: Test Update #1 | Dirt Rag and Trek already recognized it.

Regarding whether it is rubbing or not I have another close up here where are you can see the color has started to brake.

Trek Fuel Evo link problem!-20131215_150241-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Just returned from the LBS and believe it or not the inner washer in the left side was missing so the link and the rear triangle were rubbing metal to metal! I repeat. It was missing!

Terrible Trek quality control!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Paris Galanis View Post

Terrible Trek quality control!
    Your LBS managed to miss it as well

MTB B'dos
    As I asked Glad you got it sorted, stuff like that slips through QC all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paris Galanis View Post
    Just returned from the LBS and believe it or not the inner washer in the left side was missing so the link and the rear triangle were rubbing metal to metal! I repeat. It was missing!Terrible Trek quality control!
    Not familiar with these and the black on black makes it hard to see properly, but I'll throw out some suggestions, but definitely a good plan to take it back to the shop you got it from if you have concerns....

Have you actually removed the bolts and checked that it is actually rubbing and not just close and looks like it is?

If you haven't removed the bolts then do so and check that the proper hardware is installed and both sides.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Yes it is good that it finally sorted out but this wasn't the only problem. The bicycle arrived with loose spokes, we had to replace the fork legs initially and then the cartridge due to the Fox recall and now there was this washer missing!

As you can understand in order to finally enjoy the riding experience I paid for I had to either fix or change some parts that should have been properly working initially. And I have to say that now the bicycle rides much better.

Anyway let's hope that nothing else will come up.