mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Trek Fuel 70 Rear Hub? - Saxman??

Saxman or others - If the SRAM (stock) cassette is switched out for a Shimano XT (HG90)or XTR (900 or 950) is the rear hub (stock) compatible? Or will I have to upgrade the hub as well.

TIA,

rockytd

Weiner Dog Connoiseur
    I don't know....haven't tried it yet.

I didn't have any problems switching back and forth between my SRAM and Shimano cassettes on my old Bontrager Maverick wheels on my '98 Klein Pulse Comp.

Was that a Bobcat?

It's Compatible

I went from Shimano to SRAM on my fuel with no problems.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks - I thought I read somewhere that the Shimano Hyperglide Cassettes were only compatible with the splines on a Shimano hub. FYI - I called a LBS to ask them if changed out the rear cassette would I also have to change the hub and I was told the hub shouldn't be an issue...

Weiner Dog Connoiseur
    Quote Originally Posted by rockytd
    Thanks - I thought I read somewhere that the Shimano Hyperglide Cassettes were only compatible with the splines on a Shimano hub. FYI - I called a LBS to ask them if changed out the rear cassette would I also have to change the hub and I was told the hub shouldn't be an issue...
    I did change out the SRAM cassette for a Shimano one. The bike definitely seems happier with the Shimano cassette, the gear spread is a lot more useful. The stock SRAM cassette has big jumps between the three largest cogs and then the gear ratios get narrow on the upper gears. The Shimano is even throughout the whole 8 speeds. Seeing that the Fuel 70 is a bit of a tank, especially on the climbs, I know I spend more time on the middle chainring and the four largest rear cogs than on the smaller cogs, and for that the Shimano gearing feels so much smoother.