mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Trek Frame Equal to or better than 05 Liquid 30

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently my Liquid 30 bit the dust. it broke right in half a complete break right above the bottom bracket and another on the top bar right below the seat post down tube.
    i am trying to figure out an equivalint to or even better if not the best in comparison to the Liquid 30. I thought this was a "great" bike; i dont even ride that hard and i dont think 190lbs is over weight for this former bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CG Decky
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently my Liquid 30 bit the dust. it broke right in half a complete break right above the bottom bracket and another on the top bar right below the seat post down tube.
    i am trying to figure out an equivalint to or even better if not the best in comparison to the Liquid 30. I thought this was a "great" bike; i dont even ride that hard and i dont think 190lbs is over weight for this former bike.

If it qualifies, Trek will replace it with an equivalent frame....you do not need to think about it for one second.
    "Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." -Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I had a Liquid for 3 years,

switched to the "new" seatstay pivot rear end and thought it was a huge improvement in ride quality. I always enjoyed the bike, but it always seemed a little large for me, or maybe I am just getting old. Anyway... I testrode a Giant Reign, and the difference in suspension action is amazing. Owned a Reign for a year, then switched to an Anthem- a lightweight version of the Reign. There is no comparison. The Liquid was a good suspension type in its day, but time marches on. Maestro or VPP is a great improvement in suspension design. If you are under warranty from Trek, go for an EX8- its a good step up from the original Liquid design.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    BRIANTHEBIKER-- i thank you for your response back to me, i was wondering if they were to replace my frame with an equivalent, what frame will it be since they stopped making the liquid 30; also is there any chance that Trek will give me an even better frame than the liquid 30 for the headache, 7 weeks without a bike, and the soul fact that their frame snapped in HALF! Just wondering maybe ill get lucky im just wondering what i should be expecting

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

they do not make the Liquid anymore, BUT,

they may still have Liquid front and rear triangles in stock. If so, that may be what you would get. If that is not what you want, I would suggest contacting the Trek rep for your area ASAP, and see what your possibilities are (maybe a Remedy), before they make their decision.

mauna ona liquid
    Sep 2004

rear triangle available?

CG Decky

So you have the 2005 with the pivoting seat stays like Dumper talked about? Are you the original owner? If so then trek might just honor the warranty by replacing the front triangle. Assuming they don't honor, or they give you a full new bike, I might be willing to take that rear triangle off your hands, assuming it is a 2005. I've got a 2004 and want to try the pivoting seat stay. I've got my local LBS looking into it but if you've got one available used then I'm interested. Mine is 19.5" frame. What is yours?

good luck

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CG Decky
    BRIANTHEBIKER-- i thank you for your response back to me, i was wondering if they were to replace my frame with an equivalent, what frame will it be since they stopped making the liquid 30; also is there any chance that Trek will give me an even better frame than the liquid 30 for the headache, 7 weeks without a bike, and the soul fact that their frame snapped in HALF! Just wondering maybe ill get lucky im just wondering what i should be expecting

SInce the Remedy replaced the Liquid line, that would seem a logical choice to me.
    "Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." -Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    I broke my Liquid in three places. After several seasons of very hard riding, it was the end. We had some good times together. I ride very steep and techy terrain in southern utah. Trek as always was amazing. While my riding certainly would make one think for me to get a Remedy.....(it was a 03 Liquid 30 I broke)....the wait times for this new and popular bike as well as having to get a new fork ----all while knowing I would be getting a bigger bike (this liquid was all that is needed out in VA but Utah the drops are a good bit larger....so it is time for a longer travel bike also)......made me think the Fuel EX 9 would be a great bike in the stable for the trail and heavy XC days. It will be my only bike for some time.

Frame came in....steeper head angle than the Liquid and slightly lower bb. The liquid almost seems like a bike in between. So I think that for you it will come down to what kind of riding you do the most that would dictate what you should get. Trek was open to letting me choose....but I also have bought many bikes from them. If you are the original owner you will have no issues. The only part that wont transfer over is the bottom bracket...old ones are 73...the new fuel ex's are 68mm. Hangers are different of course.

Let us know what you do. I am 5 11 and went for the 18.5 new size over the 17.5 i had before. Let me know if you need help.

Shout out to Eric and Drew for their amazing customer service in this situation!!!!! Treks warranties rule....I have put them to the test three times and they have never failed me. Thanks