Thread: TREK frame ?

Work Hard, Play Harder

TREK frame ?

Hey guys. I have a question regarding TREK's frames. This year I bought my first nice HT. I went with the TREK 6700. I did a fair amount of upgrading to my bike also. Stem, saddle, post, pedals, bar, grips........etc I plan on adding a mavic xc717 wheelset soon too with xt hubs. I really love my bike but I'm kinda sorry that I didn't fork out the xtra cash for one of the zr frames. My bike has the higher end slr aluminum frame. I'm considering buying an 8500 frame in maybe a month or so. My question is this though, what are the differences between the 6700 frame and an 8500 frame? As pretty much everyone knows, TREK's website dosen't post the weights for the bikes, so I'm curious what that difference would be. I haven't weighed my current bike yet. I'd also like to know, besides that, what other differences there are between these 2 frames. I wanna make sure upgrading to the zr frame is definitely worth it. I've heard so many great reviews about them so I'm pretty sure it would be, but I'd like some feedback. I'm also curious about what an 8500 frame would cost. I asked my LBS to get me a price but they haven't gotten back to me yet (which pisses me off), and I've also emailed TREK, and they just emailed me back with the price of a complete 8000 bike for whatever reason. Sorry this post is so long but i guess this is the best place to get the info I need. I know there are tons of knowledgeable people on these forums. Thanks in advance for any replies I get.
    06 Rocky Mountain ETSX - Full XTR, Fox Shox, Crossmax XL Wheels

mtbr member
    I've ridden both bikes and honestly can't tell the difference between SLR and ZR 9000 though I believe the latter is marginally lighter it's definitely not discernable. Geometry of both 6700 and 8500 are identical.

Work Hard, Play Harder
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankH
    I've ridden both bikes and honestly can't tell the difference between SLR and ZR 9000 though I believe the latter is marginally lighter it's definitely not discernable. Geometry of both 6700 and 8500 are identical.
    So maybe It's not even worth the upgrade then. I'm planning on picking up a FS soon so maybe I'll just keep my 6700 frame. I figured there would be a really big difference between the 2 frames.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    Having ridden nearly every generation of aluminum HT that trek has come out with, I can tell you for sure that your money will be much better spent elsewhere instead of upgrading your frame. The amount spent can save much much much much more weight if used to enhance your wheels or fork, as opposed to dropping a few grams of frame weight.

Work Hard, Play Harder
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryJerry
    Having ridden nearly every generation of aluminum HT that trek has come out with, I can tell you for sure that your money will be much better spent elsewhere instead of upgrading your frame. The amount spent can save much much much much more weight if used to enhance your wheels or fork, as opposed to dropping a few grams of frame weight.

That's the direction that I've decided to go in. I plan on buying a fox front fork within the next month or so. I'm not sure which one yet though, so i'm open to suggestions on any fox fork that is light and good for xc riding and maybe racing in the future. I also plan on buying a set of mavic xc717 wheels with xt hubs. That should lighten my bike up some and I think they will be nice upgrades.

Looking to Start Racing
    I've followed your posts about SL, SLR, ZR....honestly, having ridden all myself, inless your super human and can feel the absolute smallest weight change, then you won't notice a diffrerence. Even from my 4300 to your 6700, the frame difference is in your head. I do believe that the geometry is different, but dude, if the 6700 fits you, relax. If your worried about status, then get OCLV. Forget all this SL, SLR , ZR nonsense. The thing you should most be worried about is geometry. The weight difference as mentioned already is so miniscule, that you would need to be a high level weight weenie to justify the change.

Enjoy your bike dude, and do yourself the favore of getting over this "frame level" nonsense.
    Evolve or Die

Work Hard, Play Harder
    As far as frame level goes. There is a totally different feel on my 6700 compared to my 4300. TOTALLY different. If you think that is in my head then you are insane. I was curious if stepping up to a zr frame would have a similar effect. I could care less about status lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice25gt
    As far as frame level goes. There is a totally different feel on my 6700 compared to my 4300. TOTALLY different. If you think that is in my head then you are insane. I was curious if stepping up to a zr frame would have a similar effect. I could care less about status lol.
    Was your 4300 one of the more recent SL frames? Moreover, I would say unless the components were the same as well as the stem/handle bar positioning on both bikes, you dont really know what is actually cause the different feel.

And paying MSRP from the frame straight from a Trek dealer will get you the warrenty, but it is going to cost you an arm and a leg. Totally not worth it, especially considering the cost. You are probably better off buying an complete trek 8000 and selling the components on ebay if you are dead set for the a ZR frame.

Looking to Start Racing

Now this totally different feel....think it might have to do with the components? Also you must consider geometry.

Head angle on 18" 4300 is 70.5, on the 18" 6700 it's 71
    Seat Angle on 18" 4300 is 73.5, on the 18" 6700 it's 73

As for me being insane, well thats yet to be determained, but I do think that this "totally different feel" is all in the components, seeing as the geometry isn't radicly different.
    Evolve or Die

Work Hard, Play Harder
    Quote Originally Posted by TREK 4 Life
    Now this totally different feel....think it might have to do with the components? Also you must consider geometry.

Head angle on 18" 4300 is 70.5, on the 18" 6700 it's 71
    Seat Angle on 18" 4300 is 73.5, on the 18" 6700 it's 73

As for me being insane, well thats yet to be determained, but I do think that this "totally different feel" is all in the components, seeing as the geometry isn't radicly different.
    My main ? was about the differences in the frame of my current bike and the zr frames. I understand that the geometry is different. If I want specs and numbers, I can easily pull them off trek's website. I just wanted to hear from some people who have ridden both the zr frames and the slr frames and get some feedback.

mtbr member
    May I recommend the Rockshox Reba forks? These are lightweight, every much as stiff (steering precision) as the Fox and just as plush, cheaper too I reckon.

I've got the Reba u-turns on my Fuel and am just plain impressed by the performance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I've followed your posts about SL, SLR, ZR....honestly, having ridden all myself, inless your super human and can feel the absolute smallest weight change, then you won't notice a diffrerence. Even from my 4300 to your 6700, the frame difference is in your head. I do believe that the geometry is different, but dude, if the 6700 fits you, relax. If your worried about status, then get OCLV. Forget all this SL, SLR , ZR nonsense. The thing you should most be worried about is geometry. The weight difference as mentioned already is so miniscule, that you would need to be a high level weight weenie to justify the change.

Enjoy your bike dude, and do yourself the favore of getting over this "frame level" nonsense.

Agree with that 100%. My GF Marlin is the equivalent of an SL frame I think, and I honestly make it up the big hills faster on the Marlin than I did on my Trek OCLV frame. I used to think weight was everything.....used to;-)

I think alot of the machinations excogitating SL, SLR, ZR are silly IMO, and I have ridden all. Let me add one proviso: Unless one makes a living off of it.
    "Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." -Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Trek doesn't sell aluminum hardtail frame only's. That's why they sent you a bike price.

Work Hard, Play Harder
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon
    Trek doesn't sell aluminum hardtail frame only's. That's why they sent you a bike price.

The 8000 isnt aluminum. It is a zr9000 frame and YES trek does sell this as a frame only.

mtbr member
    The 8000 isnt aluminum. It is a zr9000 frame and YES trek does sell this as a frame only.
    In 2005 the 8500 was offered frame only, I'm not sure about this year, but if ICE25gt's LBS says they can get one, whether Trek offically offers it this year is kinda moot. And just to clear things up, "ZR9000" is marketing mumbojumbo and still is an aluminum alloy.

Work Hard, Play Harder
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupacabras
    In 2005 the 8500 was offered frame only, I'm not sure about this year, but if ICE25gt's LBS says they can get one, whether Trek offically offers it this year is kinda moot. And just to clear things up, "ZR9000" is marketing mumbojumbo and still is an aluminum alloy.
    Basically all I wanted to know was if it was worth investing in one of those frames. I have had no experience with them so I wanted some input. Since trek dosent post weights I had some curiosity as to just how much lighter these frames were. Reading the reviews for them, most people say they are incredible. I guess I was just wondering what was so special about em. From what i have read in this forum, I guess nothing more than what I currently own.

Looking to Start Racing
    Thanks, that just made my day.

But I get what your sayin. The geometry is different then what ya got, so you may like how she rides. It will be abit different then what you have. Weight wise I doubt it's more then 1/4lb less then yours (I doubt even that much), but maybe thats enough to warrent the purchase.

Give one a ride, see if the geometry is what you want. It seems to be a more racing oriented geometry, so if your doin alot of epic xc rides, you might want to stick with what you have, it seems to be "abit" more relaxed.

I guess you just have to factor in the weight vs geometry.

Good luck mate, the quest for the "perfect" bike is always a never ending one.
    Evolve or Die

Good luck mate, the quest for the "perfect" bike is always a never ending one.
    Ain't THAT the truth !!!???!!!