mtbr member

Trek/Fox DRCV Shock

I have the RP23 DRCV shock on my 2010 EX9, lately in the cold weather/snow riding I've picked up a "sqwish, sqwish" sound while the shock cycles up and down. I don't remember hearing that this past summer. I remember hearing somewhere that when it sounds like that you have air leaked into the oil/fluid and that is the sound of bubbles pressing through the valves and ports, not straight fluid.
    Anyone else have that?
    It seems to be working just fine, but then again I am riding in the snow which is softer and I am riding much slower and gentler than in the summer months, so I really don't know if it's working 100%.
    I've contacted Trek and they said they don't make it so they don't service it, contact Fox. After reading some of the Fox threads here, I'm not sure I want to deal with them either...
    Anyone ever service their own DRCV?
    It's is still under warranty so.....?
    Thoughts?
    2010 Fuel EX9: Eat Paleo, Feel Great!
    Dirt is Natural, Pavement is Un-natural, Stay Dirty My Friends!

mtbr member
    I've noticed the same sound in the cooler temps. I just did the air sleeve maint. overhaul this week but haven't had a chance to really ride yet. I plan on riding tomorrow, I'll keep an eye on it and report back.

mtbr member
    Anything you can report on that actual air sleeve maintenance? I mean is it as simple as they show for the standard RP23 maintenance? I'm just concerned that I may run into something outside of what Fox shows us in their maintenance instructions. Thanks,

mtbr member
    I followed the RP23 sleeve maintenance to a T. I didn't risk screwing off the top air can, not sure what it looks like in there.

72 deg and sunny today so I hit the trail hard. I also changed the fluid in my fork and greased the pivots and my bike felt amazing today. Might be that I haven't ridden in two weeks but I could tell an immediate difference. No more squish noise either.

It's a pretty simple procedure and the kit is only $10 so go for it. Just search for RP23 on youtube and watch the tutorial a couple of times.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by timmaayyy
    I followed the RP23 sleeve maintenance to a T. I didn't risk screwing off the top air can, not sure what it looks like in there.

72 deg and sunny today so I hit the trail hard. I also changed the fluid in my fork and greased the pivots and my bike felt amazing today. Might be that I haven't ridden in two weeks but I could tell an immediate difference. No more squish noise either.

It's a pretty simple procedure and the kit is only $10 so go for it. Just search for RP23 on youtube and watch the tutorial a couple of times.
    I replaced the oil in my Remedy's fork and it was way off. Totally different fork with the right oil levels in it.

I'm sure it would be hard to narrow it down since you did everything at once but,

Did you find that the rear shock felt better after the new sleeve?
    Was the change more due to the absence of grease in the pivots?

mtbr member
    I followed the Fox tutorial on Youtube for the RP23. $12 kit at Trek LBS. after tugging on those aluminum bushings, rag under pliers, back and forth motion, they came off. Stuck a shop towel thru the eyelet on the bottom of the shock, let the air out, cycled the shock & let the rest of the air out and was able to unscrew the can with ease just like the Fox video. Didn't pop off either. Followed every other step to the T and in about 20 minutes had the whole thing back together and on the bike. I checked all of my pivots, bearings were a little dirty but well lubed - good to go! Pumped her up, set the sag and damper and now it works and sounds great, 29 degrees out today, now I'm going for a ride. 6-7" of snow on the ground, we shall see.
    I did talk to the area's best mechanic and he said that Trek stores are not allowed to touch the top can of the DRCV - it has to go back to Fox (not Trek) or the warranty is void. He said he can't even buy the rebuild kit for it. See ya out there!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I've always found Fox Racing easy to deal with.

mtbr member
    Had a blast in the snow today. Shock was better than ever. I mean it was great! My "sag setting O-ring" never pushed past 60% on my ride; in the past it would have gone to the bottom. I really think this is working better than new!
    If you've been riding on this shock for more than four months, you need to service it! Here you go! It really is this easy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb8BNsFcINQ

Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutbert
    Had a blast in the snow today. Shock was better than ever. I mean it was great! My "sag setting O-ring" never pushed past 60% on my ride; in the past it would have gone to the bottom. I really think this is working better than new!
    If you've been riding on this shock for more than four months, you need to service it! Here you go! It really is this easy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb8BNsFcINQ
    thanks for the link

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scant
    thanks for the link
    DRCV for sale - RP3 or RP23? Length?

mtbr member
    I have the same RP23 and also an RP2 DRCV and according to Fox there is an additional oring that needs to be replaced when servicing a DRCV shock that is not included with the sleeve rebuild kit (PN 803-00-142). This oring is PN 029-08-093.

It sounds like maybe the sleeve can be dis-assembled without changing this oring?
    Anyone have any experience with this?