mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Trek / Fisher Geometry

I was considering getting a new hardtail and I was looking at the a Fisher 29. The dealers do not carry any 15.5 in my size so I can't do a test ride. I have 2 Trek 15.5 bikes and the geometry is perfect for my 5.5 height. Fisher lists the top length as 58.9, the Trek top tubes are 55. Is the top tube on the Fisher 29's that stretched out? Is this a function of the bigger rims? I can't find one in my size to look at.

No longer 26
    You also have to take the seat tube and head tube angles as well. What size stem to do use on your Treks? The fishers are meant to use shorter stems to get the same approximate reach. Bontrager also has a big sweep flat bar that is 11 degree that will shorten the reach a bit too. A good shop should be able to fit you even without the actual bike there.

You could also try a 26" fisher in the same size with the same top tube as well. Fit should be very similar except handlebar height (will be higher on the 29er)

My Large GF 29ers fit the same as my Large GF 26ers except now I can use a flat bar instead of an inch riser bar.

Hope this helps.
    G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Both bikes have 80 stem, so I could use a stubby 60 no problem. A small Fisher 26 fits me OK but I would like to at least test ride a 29 to see for myself. 2 of my friends have them and love them.