Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trek Factory Extended "Red Shield" Warranty: Hit or Miss?

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  mtbMU 
#1 ·
Anyone have experience with the Red Shield Extended warranty from Trek? I read over it and saw something that concerns me:

Under "What is not covered" it states:
DAMAGE CAUSED BY ACCIDENTS OR ANY IMPACT OR COLLISION WITH ANOTHER
OBJECT; MISUSE, ABUSIVE USE, THEFT, NEGLECT, VANDALISM, ENVIRONMENTAL
CONDITIONS (FIRE, FLOOD, CORROSION, DIRT, SAND, WINDSTORM, HAIL,
EARTHQUAKE OR EXPOSURE TO WEATHER CONDITIONS);

I mean really? Dirt and Sand?! Didn't we buy these bikes to ride in the dirt and sand? Sounds like a loophole to opt out of covering components on Trek's behalf.

Anyone have any experience with this plan? Good or Bad?

#2 · (Edited)
Anyone have experience with the Red Shield Extended warranty from Trek? I read over it and saw something that concerns me:

Under "What is not covered" it states:
DAMAGE CAUSED BY ACCIDENTS OR ANY IMPACT OR COLLISION WITH ANOTHER
OBJECT; MISUSE, ABUSIVE USE, THEFT, NEGLECT, VANDALISM, ENVIRONMENTAL
CONDITIONS (FIRE, FLOOD, CORROSION, DIRT, SAND, WINDSTORM, HAIL,
EARTHQUAKE OR EXPOSURE TO WEATHER CONDITIONS);

I mean really? Dirt and Sand?! Didn't we buy these bikes to ride in the dirt and sand? Sounds like a loophole to opt out of covering components on Trek's behalf.

Anyone have any experience with this plan? Good or Bad?
It's a great deal though only if you use and you've got a good working relationship with the "head wrench" at your LBS. The LBS makes money from the program when they do the repairs so it's in the interest of the shop to make repairs. I find that bringing in a pizza and 6pack every now and then guarantees great service and reasonable turn around times. The trick is to bring the pizza and beer when it's least expected and not when your dragging in a taco'd wheel and seized seatpost.

#6 ·
Red Shield is a great thing unless your rich as **** as buy a new $5000 every other year, they offer both 3 and 5 year plans that are based off the MSRP of the bike. It covers everything but rubber items like tires, brake pads, grips, saddles... etc..........like RyderX said.... have a good relationship with your LBS and they'll take care of you!

Bike Value 3 year plan 5 year plan

$0-499 59.00 129.00
$500-749 99.00 179.00
$750-999 119.00 209.00
$1000-1499 139.00 229.00
$1500-1999 159.00 279.00
$2000-2499 209.00 359.00
$2500-6999 259.00 399.00
$7000-8999 299.00 499.00
$9000-9999 359.00 699.00
$10000-up 459.00 799.00

#10 ·
Red Shield is a great plan. And not just for expensive bikes, the people who will get the most benefit are people who ride a lot. Not having to pay for a chain, cassette, BB, cables etc for 3-5 years is great. Usually a chain and cassette once will more than pay for the plan itself. If you ride a ton and wear out shifters then it is a no brainer. Besides MTBing if you buy a daily comutting bike - BUY RED SHIELD- it will be worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.