mtbr member
    May 2007

TREK EX9 - unsure about size

Hi, this is kind of weird but I need some advice on what size i should get when buying my --soon to be ordered- Trek Fuel EX9. As there are no resellers with these models in stock here in Stockholm (!) its kind of hard to try one out. So please help me out if there are anyone that has experience with this bike. I am 189cm (74.4 inches) and is of normal build (84 kg, 183 pounds), my experience say that i should get the large frame. (i want it quick :-) Anyone that should go with X-large?

Thanx

Thomas

mtbr member
    May 2007

bump..

I'll bump this post for Thomas. We are ordering our bikes together. I don't want a delayed bike because he don't know which size to get =)

Anyone of Thomas' size riding EX8 or EX9?

The size of my bike is defintely gonna be medium due to the massive response on my size-question.

//Michael

mtbr member
    May 2006
    At 189cm I would think an XL would be the order of the day. I have a Fuel Ex and am 183cm with a long inseam of 89cm. I ride an L and although it is a great fit for me - the seat post is a long way out. Depending on the length of your legs - you would probably be well served by an XL. Bottom line is you really should test before you commit. Is there no where you can get to or no one you know who rides one?

Another thing to consider - What do you currently ride and what are the dimensions of that bike? You should be able to compare the geometry and judge a close fit. Does your current bike feel right?

Cheers

HillBilly.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm about 75" in height and ride an XL EX9. I find the fit to be perfect. I rode a L EX6 as a demo bike and found it to be too small.

Enjoy - its a great bike

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I am 76 inches tall and ride a EX7 in XL, the large was way to small for my tastes, at your height I would recommend the XL, but if you can try one that would be best.

Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2007

Thanks

For sharing your experiance... Im still a bit unsure as I will ride a lot in the rocky trails of Tyresta in Stockholm, Sweden and a large may suit these conditions better, small and quick rather than bign slow.. Still I will go out try to find something to test

/ Thomas

mtbr member
    May 2004
    It really depends on what cockpit length you prefer - if you like a more stretched out feel (which I do) then go for the XL if you like a more upright feel then the L might do

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My inseam is 89cm which puts me kind of in between large and x-large, I could not find a tryout today and my training-buddy and need to order - to be able to get them in time before a event in July... I think I will go with the large, there is a lot of posts that argues that it is better to have a little too small frame, then a little to big... anyone else with experience from the EX frame?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    ....well my inseam is 34" (86 cm) and I find the XL to be a perfect fit for X-Cntry riding. My seat post extends out about 8" (plus the seat) When I demoed a L it felt much too cramped for me

mtbr member
    May 2007

Size Matters

I am 72" with a 33" inseam and picked the XL. I was fitted at a Trek Superstore and really thought I would be perfect on the L. When I tried both, the L felt a bit cramped and I had the seatpost way out. Technician who was fitting me said I looked better on the XL. I have the seatpost extended a little over 7" on the XL. Have been riding a lot of hills, single track with a bit of technical (nothing too wild) and it works great for me. Only changes made so far are: Crank Brothers Candy SL Pedals, Kenda Blue Groove 2.3 in front and Nevagal 2.1 in rear (stock tires not very grippy in mud or soft stuff).

Good Luck!

DP

As a followup, I did notice when I purchased the bike that there is a sticker on it that says something to the effect that it is an "actual" 21.5 but a virtual 20" frame (or something to that effect). The general concept being that it rides smaller than its actual size. These posts made me question the size but it still feels great and I actually raised the seat another inch. LBS manager also reaffirmed that he felt very positive about putting me on the XL. He felt a L could have worked but just did not like how far the seat post had to be extende and the way I looked on the L.
    Last edited by djphaneuf; 06-10-2007 at 10:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I am 74.5" or 189cm with about a 34in inseam and I got the Large (top fuel 8). I love it. Im comfy on it. It feels just right. I wouldnt want anything larger. Seatpost extended about 9.5in, 11in from top of seatclamp to top of seat. Looks fine, handlebars are about 1in lower.