mtbr member
    May 2004

Trek EX-9 - Upgrade the Fox RPL Shock?

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on ordering an EX-9 and wondering whether it is worth upgrading the rear shock from the Fox RPL to the RP23? Or perhaps spend the dollars in other upgrades?

As well, I checked on the Fox website and couldn't see the RPL listed - is the RPL the same as the RP3?

thanks

mtbr member
    I want to know the same thing..

As I am also considering the exact same bike, and the exact same upgrade if I do buy one. haha..

Someone has to have some input..
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Personally I don't think there is a need for a complete lockout at all. The three positions for the pedal platform are a nice feature. They are pretty well balanced for that bike.
    Anyone who rides a bike is a friend of mine.
    My favorite bike is whatever I am riding.
    My favorite trail is where ever I am.
    Bikes and equipment are replaceable, friends and trails are not.

mtbr member
    From my understanding:

The suspension design on the Ex doesn't need the extra bells and whistles of the RP23. The leverage ratio resists bottoming out while allowing very good travel usage and a good plush feel. I never use the lockout and I will even ride in open on flatter sections of trail because the suspension doesnt react to pedaling very much anyways (unless you are hammering standing up, then DUHH).

Basically, the design doesnt require as much platform as others, so the money could be spent on other things and have better results....

What I did with my bike, and what I would reccomend for the 9 as well, is:

Better set of tires with Stan's sealant. Good set of pedals. ESI grips (stock ones are stiff). If you dont use the big ring, a nice bashguard is good to have too.
    Abington Wheel Wright Freeride Crew

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    the rpl has pro pedal but just one setting though, it most likely equals number 2 on the rp 23 (perfect)
    i have a 07 ex 9 and love it would never consider a new shock. rpl has open , pro pedal , and lock out. what more do you need ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I read a post that said that the RPL is the Fox Triad shock that Spesh uses on the Stumpies, just re-labeled. That shock has received alot of mixed reviews. I just bought an 07 EX8 and I upgraded the shock to an RP23 and I love it. I ride mostly in the Propedal 2 setting. It was well worth the investment IMO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I found the leverage ratio thing to really work on the new 9.5 at least when climbing. (Test rode on trails at demo day.) But, to be honest, I still like a almost locked out platform for fireroads. Also, the rear suspension ramped up way too fast with the standard rp23. I would go with a push tuned rp3 or rp23 with the hv air canister.
    http://www.pushindustries.com/media/HV%20CAN.jpg

mtbr member
    so what advantage would the PUSH and/or the hv can have? i find that my shock rubber band thing never gets closer to the end of the shaft by a good 1cm. so is this what you mean by ramping up? as in resisting bottoming? thats probably good for my riding then...

and i also wonder how these PUSH guys get it right every time.
    Abington Wheel Wright Freeride Crew

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    The RPL is Fox's OE (read: "factory only") rear shock. I have no complaints about it. Just did my first race on my new 07 EX 8 and the bike did great - although the engine could use a little work...

Open. Propedal. Locked. What more do you need? A friend of mine rides an RP23 and he says that once you get it dialed, you'll only use one setting. I wouldn't bother shelling out the cash unless it's just burning a hole in your pocket. In any event, there are other upgrades that'll give you more bang for your buck.

Here's a link to Fox's tech manual:
    http://foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_ce...007_om_eng.htm
    Click on "OE Custom Products" > "Rear Shocks" > "Float RPL"
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I just took delivery of my '07 EX 9. Absolutely love the bike, no complaints. The rear shock works great, the three settings that it has are all I need. I'm a clyde and a moderately aggressive rider. The suspension geometry is great, and there is rarely a need for the lockout. I agree with the other guys, there really isn't much need for the extra settings of the RP23, especially on a bike with geometry like the '07 EX 7 and higher.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Stick with the RPL

Quote Originally Posted by Yakbikeski
    I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on ordering an EX-9 and wondering whether it is worth upgrading the rear shock from the Fox RPL to the RP23? Or perhaps spend the dollars in other upgrades?

As well, I checked on the Fox website and couldn't see the RPL listed - is the RPL the same as the RP3?

thanks
    I have an 07 EX8 and I love the RPL. The problem with the RP23 is that while you're riding it realistically has only two settings, open and propedal. To adjust the level of propedal you certainly have to stop riding to fiddle with that little "1,2,3" dial. The RPL can be adjusted through all three settings with the flick of a finger.
    One thing I was concerned about when I got the bike was whether the propedal setting would be stiff enough for my taste. I had a bike with a Float R propedal model and I didn't notice the propedal at all (plenty of bob). After riding the RPL, I think the propedal setting on it is just about perfect.
    On the fox website, follow the rabbit trail to the owners manual page ---> 2007 all forks and shocks ----> OE custom products ----> Shocks ---> Float RPL, and there you are.

That's my two cents...

mtbr member
    Just wondering roughly what the average bike shop would charge to upgrade this? Would they charge full value of a new RP3/RP23 or a lesser "upgrade charge" given that they still end up with a new RPL to sell.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    The thing is, they can only pay you enough so that they make a decent profit when/if they sell it. They might give you around $100 or maybe $150 if they're feeling charitable. Probably going to charge you an installation fee, too. The whole deal may result in you saving 1/3 of the price for a new RP23.

Then again, this is just an estimate. I think a new RP23 will cost you around $400 (probably a little less) so I would put the value of a RPL at around $250.

Bottom line: The average bike shop will pay you no more than the amount they have to pay to get a new RPL and then they'll deduct that amount from the retail price of the new component. If you got some sort of service plan or something with your purchase of the bike, this could change slightly.

I reaffirm my former statement: There are other places to upgrade your bike that will give more performance for less.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser