Thread: Trek EX 8

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Trek EX 8

Hello, I'm about to purchase my first FS bike, after years of fun on a Trek 4300 HT. Most of my riding is XC, with *very few* drops. I've narrowed it down to a Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe or a Trek EX 8, both 2009 models. I've tried both, and like them both. Price is basically the same. I forgot to check their weight, though (Which one's lighter?) I'd like to please read opinions ....

Thanks for reading!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Not sure on the weight of the bikes, I've not bothered weighing my EX8.

As to the EX8, I love the bike. I picked up an 08 late in the season so I've only got about 90 miles on it, but wow. The suspension on it is great. Feels like you are riding a caddy down the trails. Braking is very good once the pads/discs get bedded in after a ride or two.

The only thing that I don't like is the drivetrain. Shifting is very solid and exact but - Shimano claims that you can not tune out all of the chain rub if you have the chain at extreme angles. I'm a little frustrated with that as on some XC trail sections I stick to the smallest ring in the front and like to use all of the rings in the back...and when my chain is in the "smallest in front, smallest in rear" position I get chain rub on the front derailleur that apparently is there to stay.

Overall though the bike is gorgeous and rides like a dream. The ABP and full floater rear suspension works as advertised. It was an amazing upgrade from my older Fuel 80.

I've had the bike for almost a month and a half now and I still go into my basement and look at it every other day or so

Weekend Warrior
    I bought an 09' Root Beer/White Fuel EX8, and I could not be happier. I have done some massive upgrades to it since I bought it several weeks ago, which should drop the weight reading the next time I weigh the bike. In regards to the chain rub, I have noticed a decrease in noise when I switched out the SLX front derailleur with an XT. However, there is some chain rub noise present when the chain is shifted into extreme angles. I'll post some pics up momentarily:

My 2009 Trek Fuel EX 8 Upgrades

Wheelset: Spinergy Xyclone Disc
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
    Front Crankset: Shimano XT
    Chain: Shimano HG970(?) XTR
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR Shadow
    Rear Cassette: Shimano XT
    Shifters: Shimano XTR
    Brakeset: Shimano XT
    Tires: Kenda Nevegal
    2009 Trek FuelEX 8: Rocking out XT/XTR components, Xyclone Disc wheels, and Fox Suspension.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Omicron

The only thing that I don't like is the drivetrain. Shifting is very solid and exact but - Shimano claims that you can not tune out all of the chain rub if you have the chain at extreme angles. I'm a little frustrated with that as on some XC trail sections I stick to the smallest ring in the front and like to use all of the rings in the back...and when my chain is in the "smallest in front, smallest in rear" position I get chain rub on the front derailleur that apparently is there to stay.
    That has nothing to do with the bike, its usually not recommended to run your chain in that configuration. There are plenty of gears that overlap so you should not have to do this.
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I definitely wasn't blaming the bike

I just got used to doing it on my older Fuel 80. I always figured - hey, the gears are there so use 'em. My engineering brain has a hard time understanding why a product would be released that has features that shouldn't be used. I perfectly understand why they shouldn't be - the angles are harsh, hard on the chain and the rings, etc. but it drives me nuts that they are there. If they weren't supposed to be used, remove 'em dangit!

I'm teaching myself how to get around using those angles by using the middle ring a lot more than I used to.

BKB
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Amen that chain rub drives me crazy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Ive just dumped new pics of my new EX8 in the top post in the Trek section,

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    iMacDaddy, can you post some pics? Your bike sounds awesome. TB.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Here are a few pics for you.
    It weighs just under 27 pounds now.
    I have swapped one or two bits
    Easton Monkey Lite carbon bars
    Ritchey WCS stem
    Selle Italia SLR saddle
    Shimano XTR cassette
    Hope Mono Mini discs
    Bontrager Race Lite Tubeless wheels
    Crank Brothers Egg Beater pedals

and my favourite mod - I dismantled the in house extra long Trek ABP rear skewer, and swapped all of the Hope Titanium bits over !

I hope you like

mtbr member
    RRPalma - Don't get hung up over weight!

I was like that - having pimped my 1999 TREK 8900 down to 22lbs. Then finally I got fed up of getting beaten up on the HT and went for the 2009 EX8 in August this year. And I haven't looked back - its a great bike. Though the US/UK specs might be a little different I'm pleased with its performance. The extra weight (5+lbs) has not slowed me down...with most of my rides being 4-6 hours 30+ miles.

Cheers
    S!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    What is the difference between the Race Lite's and the Race Disc's that come stock? I can't seem to find the info. Just a little lighter?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The 09 Fuel ex8 comes with Bontrager Rhythm wheels, and my racelites were tonnes lighter.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    hey lawson in the pic your front tire is on backwards

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Haha Cheers Ratboy, i changed it around half an hour ago - and spilled all the tyre sealant on the floor.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    good job. i love my ex sold my turner flux to get the new 9.8 love the bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Hif Deluxe Vs Fuel EX8

Quote Originally Posted by rrpalma
    Hello, I'm about to purchase my first FS bike, after years of fun on a Trek 4300 HT. Most of my riding is XC, with *very few* drops. I've narrowed it down to a Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe or a Trek EX 8, both 2009 models. I've tried both, and like them both. Price is basically the same. I forgot to check their weight, though (Which one's lighter?) I'd like to please read opinions ....

Thanks for reading!!
    RRPalma -

Bike choices are very subjective. I've test-ridden the Ful EX-8 and Hifi Deluxe and would unhesitatingly go with the Hifi; mailny because I love the handling. The Hifis are great in corners -- feels like they are on rails, they're so stable.

But many other good riders prefer the Fuel. So just go with what feels best to you. Warning -- if you weigh over about 170-180, and ride a L or XL frame, be hesitant about the Hifi. IMHO, it's not strong enough for heavy riders. (I ride S/M frame and weigh 140lbs and have never had a problem)

GBose
    Last edited by gbose; 11-27-2008 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Typos

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Omicron
    I definitely wasn't blaming the bike

I just got used to doing it on my older Fuel 80. I always figured - hey, the gears are there so use 'em. My engineering brain has a hard time understanding why a product would be released that has features that shouldn't be used. I perfectly understand why they shouldn't be - the angles are harsh, hard on the chain and the rings, etc. but it drives me nuts that they are there. If they weren't supposed to be used, remove 'em dangit!

I'm teaching myself how to get around using those angles by using the middle ring a lot more than I used to.
    Small ring/small cog is like reaching for high and low gear simultaneously. I'd encourage you to use ALL your gears, instead of staying in little ring. I think you're wise to have started using your middle ring. I treat that as my default and switch to little or big only when really neccessary.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks a lot for all your comments. So far, it seems I'm leaning more towards the Trek. , it
    Apparently it has better components, and has a plusher ride than the HiFi.

At Work
    I tested an 08 EX8 today, weighed it at the bike shop, 28.9 lbs.......

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sxr-racer
    I tested an 08 EX8 today, weighed it at the bike shop, 28.9 lbs.......
    Which size was that? I thought it was more rtowards 27 lbs

At Work

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I just ordered this same bike. Sweet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    man you are going to love this bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I sure hope so because I aint gonna love payin for it. I bought my wife a new car for Christmas, she has no idea and she is going to flip the hell out so I treated myself as well. I figured that it would be easier to tell her while shes admiring her new new ride. hehehe.

Im stoked, Im a roadie and have an 08 Felt F3 so Ive dropped alot of coin that I really didnt need to on bikes this year but dammit, I love them! Ive owned about 5 new treks. My last one was a Fuel 90.

The first upgrade will be Mavic SLR's with the red hubs. Then over time as I get some flow. Full XTR. Well, Excuse me, XTR Crank and deraileurs.

Im jacked up, should be here soon.

mtbr member
    I love my Fuel EX 8... go for it
    Last edited by FueLEX8; 12-17-2008 at 09:30 AM.

*Contents Under Pressure
    iv been seriously considering a fuel 8.. but cannot decide between it and the roscoe I.. well i live in Illinois and there arent any mountains sooo fuel ex 8 i thinks
    There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

mtbr member
    Got mine Sunday, took back my Piranha. The ex8 is incredibel so far!

Members who have read this thread: 0